• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah, I can see the slippery slope, but it is so clear that there's little risk of actually falling down it.

This was a truly unique situation (hopefully). If Joebob Wifebeater is drunk and holed up in his double wide with his grandad's 12 gauge, I don't think the robobomber is going to be the go-to tactic.

If Joebob just shot a baker's dozen people and killed a few, admitted it, and threatened to do more, then... yeah, ok.

I am not questioning your belief in the truthfulness of your position, but you also have to remember that this is the same bill of goods (i.e., for use only in rare and exceptional situations) we were sold with no-knock warrant service, use of SWAT teams to serve warrants, and asset forfeiture. I am not buying it (again).

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    When we say bomb what are we talking about? Did they bring the building down on him? If we are talking about a shaped charge that was used to explosively remove the doors of this guy's hiding hole and in the process the blast killed him, so what. I prefer an explosive device of some sort then me be the first one through that door with a known armed suspect waiting to take out more officers, body armor or not. If you remember during the Orlando Shooter event, explosives were used to punch a hole in the wall to both get at the shooter and get hostages out.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Little more info.

The suspect asked for a cell phone. The phone the police provided was the explosive.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a rifle is a good [STRIKE]guy [/STRIKE] robot with a.... bomb.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't care if there isn't a safer option. Hold the bunker with guns drawn. It's not like police have never encountered a bunkered shooter before. Again, our police are not a military force. They shouldn't even have access to some of the MRAPs, etc... that they have been getting their hands on. It's absolute ridiculousness. Again, this is not Afghanistan. Hell, next time, let's just drop a Tomahawk missile on the bunkered shooter. Stupidity is what this is. If the police force is not enough without military weaponry (tanks, bombs, missiles, etc...) they need to call in the national guard or some other ACTUAL military force. Cops, as much as some of them want to be, are NOT the military, and this is NOT ok. I'm 100% not OK with police having and utilizing weapons beyond what the public is allowed to own.

Dallas had a lot in common with Afghanistan last night. I'm sure the 5 dead cops can't tell a difference.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So the police have ready made, totally available cell phone bombs. Like in a drawer.

Andy! Fetch me the cell phone bomb, its in the top right drawer. Otis wants to ordera pizza and frankly I am up to here with the guy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Boo ****ing hoo. I bet you don't have a problem with the cops being murdered with a rifle.

Police don't have grenades. They used supplies available to EOD. And I'll say it again: boo ****ing hoo.

I remember when Frank seemed to be an intelligent and reasonable Officer. Over the years he has descended to this state. Frank, really, you should check yourself. Talk to someone, please. It shows, only you can't see it

For the record I have seen no post advocating shooting police officers.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Boo ****ing hoo. I bet you don't have a problem with the cops being murdered with a rifle.

Police don't have grenades. They used supplies available to EOD. And I'll say it again: boo ****ing hoo.

Little more info.

The suspect asked for a cell phone. The phone the police provided was the explosive.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a rifle is a good [STRIKE]guy [/STRIKE] robot with a.... bomb.

If we had a government that could be trusted one might have a little more sympathy here.

Tell me Frank, after this gets out, do you really think that situations that could be ended peacefully will if the barricaded individual can't talk of the phone for fear of it exploding. We are getting into two wrongs not making a right here. How do you expect this to play with non-criminals who already have their reasons to distrust police? Doesn't that make your job harder?

Please note that I am not condoning criminal actions here, but rather accounting for the fact that the resolution employed doesn't just affect this time, but also the next time, the time after that, and interactions with people who ordinarily would talk but wouldn't if they have to fear being blown to bits when they pick up the phone.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This may come as a total shock to some of you but police departments have had access to explosives for decades. They typically serve two purposes, explosive breaching (like in Orlando) and bomb detonation. In spite of the fact this crap has been around for decades the police have somehow managed to not start building bombs and blowing **** up on a regular basis. Seems to have been reserved for special occasions, like 5 cops getting murdered at one "peaceful" protest.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This may come as a total shock to some of you but police departments have had access to explosives for decades. They typically serve two purposes, explosive breaching (like in Orlando) and bomb detonation. In spite of the fact this crap has been around for decades the police have somehow managed to not start building bombs and blowing **** up on a regular basis.

Don't confuse them with facts. Just let them live in their own perfect little worlds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    When we say bomb what are we talking about? Did they bring the building down on him? If we are talking about a shaped charge that was used to explosively remove the doors of this guy's hiding hole and in the process the blast killed him, so what. I prefer an explosive device of some sort then me be the first one through that door with a known armed suspect waiting to take out more officers, body armor or not. If you remember during the Orlando Shooter event, explosives were used to punch a hole in the wall to both get at the shooter and get hostages out.

I am OK with busting walls. I saw the police news bulletin announcing the perp had been targeted with a robotic bomb It was no accident.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am not questioning your belief in the truthfulness of your position, but you also have to remember that this is the same bill of goods (i.e., for use only in rare and exceptional situations) we were sold with no-knock warrant service, use of SWAT teams to serve warrants, and asset forfeiture. I am not buying it (again).

No-knocks are still pretty rare. When was the last unnecessary SWAT callout that you can remember? Asset forfeiture... well... ok. That's been used more than it should, but rarely does anyone die from it. And, the political pendulum is swinging back the other way IMHO.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Nope. 100% not ok with police utilizing bombs. This is not Afghanistan, and our police are not a military force.
    So, we're supposed to fight another peaceful war with rules?
    I am NOT in favor of sitting in a candle light vigil singing Kum-ba-la and wishing for the best under a rainbow on the back of a unicorn while smokin' a joint.
    IF you come after me I will show no mercy and give no quarter. You opened the can of worms so you'll see how it tastes. Screw that shooter or anyone that goes after an innocent person.
    These Dallas cops aren't the ones that did shootings in LA or MN.
    Do we have guilty cops? Maybe? probably? I don't know. I don't trust video I do know that. Even on NFL instant replay it sometimes takes 5 angles to see the details.
    IF it took an explosive device to take down this azzwipe then so be it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What exactly did it have in common?

Looked a little like combat from my perspective. You know, people shooting at each other, snipers, people running and ducking for cover, five good guys dead on the ground. You know, the really complex stuff to figure out.

Top Bottom