• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey everyone, I'm not really a knife person. I usually stick to firearms, but I find myself needing a knife often. I don't like things in my pockets other than keys and cell phone so I figure the best way to carry it would be clipped on my boot.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a decent boot knife. Nothing fancy, just sharp and able to keep its edge well. I'd like to keep it under $50 if at all possible. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont know much about boot knives but you have other types of carry methods besides boot knives and pocket knives.You may think about those.
    You can carry a neck knife, makes it easy to carry fixed blade of small or medium size.
    You can have a "pocket knife" clipped on your belt or carry it in a holster on your belt.
    You can find many way to carry knives and if your knive as a "pocket clip" you can clip it almost anywhere, it doesnt have to be inside your pocket to use the clip.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Usually boot knives are for people looking for highly concealable fixed blade knives. They are usually uncomfortable to carry compared to just about any other method as they are carried inside the boot. If you plan to clip it to the outside of the boot you will have problems with it rubbing on you pant leg, not to mention being very awkward.

To meet your listed criteria I would suggest you look for a small 2 - 3 inch fixed blade with a kydex sheath that will allow you to carry small of the back horizontal.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    388NeckKnifeS_3s.jpg
    6a0133ec985af6970b0153901ad7f6970b-320wi

mercharnessreview.jpg

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Check with Knife Lady. For right in your price range she can hook you up with an ESEE Izula. Great quality knife with a variety of carry options

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    PM'd Knife Lady, thanks for all of the advice and everything from everyone. As far as folding knives go, I'd like a fixed blade, and definitely not around my neck... I'm very picky about being comfortable while I'm at work, and I can only see it getting snagged on something like my shirts do.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Hey everyone, I'm not really a knife person. I usually stick to firearms, but I find myself needing a knife often. I don't like things in my pockets other than keys and cell phone so I figure the best way to carry it would be clipped on my boot.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a decent boot knife. Nothing fancy, just sharp and able to keep its edge well. I'd like to keep it under $50 if at all possible. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Your choice of boot should be part of the decision. An 8" boot is good for internal insertion. The thickness of the boot top is also a factor if you use a sheath clip. Bates boots like many modern tactical boots have padding at the top but a good clip will work well. Some people actually bolt the sheath to the boot.

I still use an odd boot knife by most standards made by Topps. On the Bates, it goes on the outside. On the motorbike boots, it goes on the inside.

Deploying a boot knife under stress is not easy, mainly due to lifting of the pant leg. For general utility use, a boot knife is not practical. It's really for deep cover/last resort/mount and forget it kind of thing, until needed.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Your choice of boot should be part of the decision. An 8" boot is good for internal insertion. The thickness of the boot top is also a factor if you use a sheath clip. Bates boots like many modern tactical boots have padding at the top but a good clip will work well. Some people actually bolt the sheath to the boot.

I still use an odd boot knife by most standards made by Topps. On the Bates, it goes on the outside. On the motorbike boots, it goes on the inside.

Deploying a boot knife under stress is not easy, mainly due to lifting of the pant leg. For general utility use, a boot knife is not practical. It's really for deep cover/last resort/mount and forget it kind of thing, until needed.

I wear 8" Bates from the time I wake up and get out of the shower until the time I take them off to go to sleep. I don't skimp on my boots... only the good ones will last me a year. Other than that, a boot knife for general use may not seem practical for you, but for me it's the other way around. I think it would be the most comfortable way to carry it. I'm not going into battle... if I were, I wouldn't want such a small blade, and I wouldn't worry about a knife so much as a good reliable firearm as a "last resort". I'm not G.I. Joe and frankly don't care to walk around like one. I just want something that I know will always be there and since I wear my boots all of the time, I know it will be there. I won't have to worry about picking it up off of the desk every morning before heading out. I won't have these instances where I need a knife and don't have one.

I want it for general everyday use. I don't need it battle tested and ready... I just hate filling my pockets full of crap and having them bulge out. I don't even wear my carry piece on my hip. I wear it on my ankle. Go ahead and flame away. Call it impractical and everything else that your opinion can generate, but that's just the way I am. I'd rather have it out of sight and comfy on my legs than heavy and irritating around my hip... :dunno:

While I appreciate your opinion on the matter, I'm really looking for brand names that will hold up well and last for a long time. Yours and others opinions on whether boot knives are comfortable and impractical don't mean anything to me. I'm one of those, "do it yourself before deciding" kind of guys. :)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wear a uniform boot for work, and have had several. The Zero Tolerance boot knife is out of your mentioned price range, but is the best in my opinion. Double edged, S30V, G10 grips, and a really nice sheath. I have also carried a RC-3 on the boot many times, and found it to be a very practical piece of kit. I have not carried my Izula in such a manner, but I'm sure it would work well.

The ones I have carried and weren't very impressed with were from Sog, Kershaw, and Gerber. A couple of personal requirement that I have for a fixed blade are A) full tang, B) good hard steel, C) non-serrated, and (hopefully) D) American made.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I wear a uniform boot for work, and have had several. The Zero Tolerance boot knife is out of your mentioned price range, but is the best in my opinion. Double edged, S30V, G10 grips, and a really nice sheath. I have also carried a RC-3 on the boot many times, and found it to be a very practical piece of kit. I have not carried my Izula in such a manner, but I'm sure it would work well.

The ones I have carried and weren't very impressed with were from Sog, Kershaw, and Gerber. A couple of personal requirement that I have for a fixed blade are A) full tang, B) good hard steel, C) non-serrated, and (hopefully) D) American made.

Exactly what I'm looking for! :yesway: Although serrated wouldn't make a difference to me, either or in that category, but how do you like your Izula? I've been around my cousins ESEE 6 and it's an amazing knife. Does the Izula hold up as well as your RC-3? Also, is ESEE made here in the USA? I thought they were part of United Cutlery, but I may be mistaken...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Izula is a great knife. It is made in the states by Rowen, for ESEE (formerly Rat Cutlery). The blade is made from differentially heat treated 1095. It's a tool steel that holds a terrific edge, and is easily maintaned. The one draw back is it will require oil, due to being high carbon. Performance wise, it should perform much like the RC3. The RC3 will be a bit more durable though, because of the skeletonized handle of the Izula. In all honesty though, I doubt you could work a knife that small hard enough to break it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    esee is made in america, and they have nothing to do with united cutlery at all. as far as izulas go and holding up. i'm what some people (bradsknives at least) calls me a knife addict. i have 3 izula's and a izula 2. they will take a crazy beating and keep on going they hold their edge well. they are tough little knives. here is a decent little video of what they can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrlvqrZQKY

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    LMAO Idk about the pink one... although that might keep people at the factory from coming into the john while I'm taking a leak...

But man, those Izula's look awesome! I looked on their site and they don't have a boot clip sheath though. They have one for the ESEE-3, and a regular sheath for the Izula, but no clip on it nor one that would fit it. Any ideas for a boot clip if I go with the Izula?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have seen a boot / belt clip plate for them. I believe they aroumd $15 bucks, and I am sure knifelady can hook you up with one.

The cool thing about the pink one is it would be much harder to loose in the bush. Almost nothing in nature is hot pink. Even blaze orange, could slightly blend in with fall foliage.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    And your buddies shouldn't be able to see your boot knife while your taking a leak, unless you do so sitting down. In which case a pink knife might be fitting.

Just kidding. It's getting late, and I need sleep.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    And your buddies shouldn't be able to see your boot knife while your taking a leak, unless you do so sitting down. In which case a pink knife might be fitting.

Just kidding. It's getting late, and I need sleep.

maybe he has been drinking a lot and the toilet is spinning before it's been flushed and he doesn't want to have to clean the **** off the seat sir. damn it don't judge me trader ps all /purple, well kinda

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    maybe he has been drinking a lot and the toilet is spinning before it's been flushed and he doesn't want to have to clean the **** off the seat sir. damn it don't judge me trader ps all /purple, well kinda

:laugh: Been there, done that. Although I usually don't have that trouble at work. It's not hard to behave when your boss is wearing a badge and handgun.

Top Bottom