• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You say that now, but if you hang around this sub-forum for long, these pricey knives will rub off on you :D.

+1. The next thing you know, you find yourself at the 1500 browsing knives at the Busse table. You go there looking for the right deal on a HiPower, but instead you end up with a knife, a kydex sheath and a couple of spare mags.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You say that now, but if you hang around this sub-forum for long, these pricey knives will rub off on you :D.

:): Well it already has somewhat... I was going to get a cheap $25 boot knife but all of you a-holes talked so much about the ESEE and all of these nice things that I decided I needed one :):

+1. The next thing you know, you find yourself at the 1500 browsing knives at the Busse table. You go there looking for the right deal on a HiPower, but instead you end up with a knife, a kydex sheath and a couple of spare mags.

I went there at the last 1500 I was at. I do have to say if I hadn't already bought my reloading powder, primers, and bullets and spent all of my money, you are right. I would have walked out with a new knife instead :laugh:

why put a knife in a boot!!!????

:dunno: I'm not sticking it in my boot. It's going on the outside. ;) But to answer your question. So it's concealed and always with you. Other reasons are already listed in the OP. :)

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    if your reasons are not to have it in your pocket, use a belt sheath. i can't think of a less handy place to have a knife than at the point of the a) most impact, b) most highly mobile, c) furthiest from your hand, d) least accessablity for most situations.

as to concealing it, there are better options, which are more comfortable and more practical.....

the above is my personal opinion, but i would say to ask folks who carry fixed blade knives often, and for many different reasons, and see how many truly use a boot carry method. its just not convient.

belt sheath, neck sheath, mercharness, many much better options with less likelihood of loss!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    if your reasons are not to have it in your pocket, use a belt sheath. i can't think of a less handy place to have a knife than at the point of the a) most impact, b) most highly mobile, c) furthiest from your hand, d) least accessablity for most situations.

as to concealing it, there are better options, which are more comfortable and more practical.....

the above is my personal opinion, but i would say to ask folks who carry fixed blade knives often, and for many different reasons, and see how many truly use a boot carry method. its just not convient.

belt sheath, neck sheath, mercharness, many much better options with less likelihood of loss!

and i know you said you don't care about others opinons. but on the same token as "try it yourself" i would urge you to try all the options before declaring the boot the best option.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    and i know you said you don't care about others opinons. but on the same token as "try it yourself" i would urge you to try all the options before declaring the boot the best option.

I carried one on my belt when I was in the military. Didn't care for the position as I was always banging my arm on it and sometimes actually knocked it off of the belt and onto the ground. Of course this was an 8" kabar instead of a small knife, but nonetheless I didn't care for it. I also didn't like how it protruded itself on the inside of my blouse. Made it stick out and look all funny.

As for not having it readily accessable and all that jazz, as I stated before, I'm not going into combat. If I run into a situation where I need to defend myself, the last thing I'm thinking about is, "OMG where's my 1.5" blade knife?!?!". I simply need it for everyday chores and for at work in the few instances I need it. I work at UPS and I require the use of a knife for about 1 hour a night mon-fri. I also usually keep one handy on the weekends when I go shooting. Right now, I use my back pocket with a small razor blade folder type knife.

As far as being comfortable and convenient, as I stated before, that's your opinion. My opinion on things is usually different than most peoples. I enjoy wearing my steel toe 8" Bates all day long. I'm most comfortable in my boots than my soft cushioned Under Armor shoes. I like to get sweaty and dirty, pick the most "uncomfortable" positions to shoot from... I just feel better when I'm not "comfortable" because it makes me more aware. Call me weird or call me a Marine, that's the way I was trained and it's done good for me so far.

If I feel having it on my boot is not right, I'll simply take it off and keep the sheath and knife around my neck. If I feel that isn't right, I'll just sell it.

I'm not asking for people's opinions on the matter because I could give a rats ass whether or not a person I don't know doesn't like how it feels against their calf. I asked for a brand name, which I got from most people. I work for my money just as you work for yours. I'm not going to tell you how to spend your paycheck so please don't insult me by telling me how to spend mine.

All the while, thanks for your concern, but I really don't care. :)

Edit: Gave you some positive rep because after you read this post you're going to think I'm being a dick, but I really just want a boot knife. Why? Beats the hell out of me. I just want one. Like some people want a pistol instead of a rifle... tell them which brand you think is best for the money they are willing to spend. Don't try to talk them into a rifle... just give them an honest insight into what they are looking for.

P.S. I already have Knife Lady holding my boot knife. She's also holding one for a friend of mine. When he gets his paycheck this coming week I'll be happy and so will she. :)

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    no rep needed. as you said, its your money to spend or waste.

as for brands.... opening boxes? joe brum Talon. UPS work? rick hinderer Flashpoint. chores while shooting? strider MFS. general EDC chores? tom krein mini TK8.

and if your knocking it off your belt its one of two things: poor placement, or poor quality. same knife is probly going to jump the shark out of (sorry, off of) a boot.

good luck.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    no rep needed. as you said, its your money to spend or waste.

as for brands.... opening boxes? joe brum Talon. UPS work? rick hinderer Flashpoint. chores while shooting? strider MFS. general EDC chores? tom krein mini TK8.

and if your knocking it off your belt its one of two things: poor placement, or poor quality. same knife is probly going to jump the shark out of (sorry, off of) a boot.

good luck.

Yeah, that's why I didn't order another Kabar... plus I don't want an 8" blade knife on my 8" boot. :):

Anyways, I went with the ESEE Izula. :yesway: All of those knives you mentioned are way over my budget.

Top Bottom