• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wash mine in the wash machine in one of those laundry bags. When they fall apart I toss it, and get a new one out.
    Definitely a range, hunting, hiking, tool. Should not be replaced with actual cleaning techniques.

I use a spaghetti jar.
    I was getting too many knots in the machine, even in a bag.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They are good to have around at the range when shooting a lot. If the chamber gets real dirty, one pass with the snake will often keep the gun running. I don't use them for routine cleaning at the work bench. I don't think the very stiff bristles are good for the bore, especially .22's. I don't see how pulling something clogged with filthy grime can be good for the bore.
    Yeah, I don't use them for .22's. I ruined a Ruger Mk III barrel with one years ago. At least that's what I attribute it to. But I do use bore snakes fairly regularly for larger caliber guns.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yeah, I don't use them for .22's. I ruined a Ruger Mk III barrel with one years ago. At least that's what I attribute it to. But I do use bore snakes fairly regularly for larger caliber guns.
    How can a bore snake hurt a 22lr barrel?
    I've used them for years and never knew about this issue. What happens to the barrel?
    I use copper brushes when doing a good clean. Should I switch to nylon?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've used them for years and never knew about this issue. What happens to the barrel?
    I was told many years ago, by a nationally ranked competitor, not to ever use a bore brush in my Hammerli 208s, but just clean the chamber by using a bent .25 cal. bore brush. I have followed that advice carefully. The bore snake keeps the brass bristles even stiffer than the bore brush. I also don't use a cleaning rod. I use a piece of plastic weed trimmer line. I cut one end at a sharp angle and melt a ball at the other end. I pull a patch through from the muzzle to the chamber, so as not to pull crap onto the rifling.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was told many years ago, by a nationally ranked competitor, not to ever use a bore brush in my Hammerli 208s, but just clean the chamber by using a bent .25 cal. bore brush. I have followed that advice carefully. The bore snake keeps the brass bristles even stiffer than the bore brush. I also don't use a cleaning rod. I use a piece of plastic weed trimmer line. I cut one end at a sharp angle and melt a ball at the other end. I pull a patch through from the muzzle to the chamber, so as not to pull crap onto the rifling.

But, a regular brush is attached to a rod, which has no give in it.
    A brush on a snake, will sink back into the cloth a bit.

So, is it a fair comparison?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Surely using a .25 cal bore brush is worse on the barrel than using a .22 brush.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m not sure how. I remember being pretty sure it was good before. Not so much after. It’s possible it was damaged before that and I didn’t notice.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    But, a regular brush is attached to a rod, which has no give in it.
    A brush on a snake, will sink back into the cloth a bit.

So, is it a fair comparison?
    I don't follow the reasoning that a snake's bristles retract into the cloth, but you could be right. My point is I don't use any bore brush or snake in a .22 bore.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bore snakes are all I use anymore. Aside from a custom rifle I bought and did a barrel break in procedure on I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I've used a jag and little patches. I use bore snakes on all my pistols especially, but also carbines, and precision rifles used for PRS matches.

Everyone has their own cleaning ritual, but I've had nothing but good results with mine.

Top Bottom