• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That the state declares individual citizens do not need such arms is precisely why they do.

:+1:

This also speaks volumes about the age-old argument, "We don't want to take your hunting rifles and shotguns, just these dangerous [bogey-gun of the moment] that criminals use. This leaves only two conclusions: Either Boston is experiencing a rash of criminals using Fudd guns, or it is in fact not about buns but rather control (big surprise) and there are some public officials who AT MINIMUM need removed from their elected or appointed offices PERMANENTLY never to be allowed in government again. That is at minimum. Don't ask me about maximum. The mods wouldn't like it.

What is significant is that this time, the Police Commissioner didn't feel any need to couch his demand in terms of preventing crime but just straight-up said 'you people don't need guns'. I seem to recall that the idea of a right is that you are not required to demonstrate a need to exercise it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Politicians will never confiscate your hunting weapons...they will rename them to something scary first and paint anyone who would own it as a ner do well.

It's a gangster gun, a terrorist weapon, a sniper rifle...something only used for robberies and assaults.

No, they are my weapons; now get the heck out of my house.

And yes, it is sad...given that my avatar is the memorial to Capt Parker on Lexington Green...they have given away their freedoms for the soft chains of servitude to the state.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Take away the third box, the other two won't matter. Feature, not a bug. :twocents:

Hopefully there'll be quite a few fishing accidents where the guns fell over board...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are the police arguing that, or is a police commissioner arguing that?

Their commissioner is the equivalent of most place's Chief of Police. That's an appointed position under the discretion of the mayor. He's a cop like the Secretary of Defense is a soldier. A politician that happens to be in charge due to political appointment.

Raise your hand if your surprised a political appointee on either coast is anti-gun.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Hell IMPD's chief just became a cop on paper, what was it, last year? Remember Frank Straub? He's never been a cop…until now. Just because Spokane chose him to speak for the police doesn't mean he is one or that the police agree with him. Chiefs of police are rarely either chiefs or police.…keep that in mind.

19768732_SA.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Disregard…he's been a cop since the 80s. He's described as a hippie giving out his cell phone to all the "occupy boston" protestors. He also coordinated the boston bombing events after he ran the marathon putting his name on the map. Though his opinions are rubbish, that doesn't mean everyone who dresses like him has the same opinion.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Someone far wiser than I made an observation some time ago that I didn't even think of until he or she said it.

Have you noticed that when politicians want to push an agenda on crime or oppressing our rights they always bring out a POLICE chief or the equivalent? They almost never bring out a sheriff!!! That is because el hefe de policia is an appointed position that serves at the pleasure of the politician WHEREAS the sheriff serves the PEOPLE and is answerable directly to them! Sheriff's are not mouthpieces that can controlled by politicians, and thus are consulted less, testify less before State and Federal committee's, etc. Sheriff's are more likely to speak truth to power and not too many people want to hear that.

I would wager a paycheck that, on average, the sheriff's words are far more in line with his/her deputies than a policia hefe is with his/her LEO's.

Regards,

Doug

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Disregard…he's been a cop since the 80s. He's described as a hippie giving out his cell phone to all the "occupy boston" protestors. He also coordinated the boston bombing events after he ran the marathon putting his name on the map. Though his opinions are rubbish, that doesn't mean everyone who dresses like him has the same opinion.

Right exactly, the problem is everyone seeing him say that drivel and the majority of those people believing it's what the police, as a whole, want.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Are the police arguing that, or is a police commissioner arguing that?

Their commissioner is the equivalent of most place's Chief of Police. That's an appointed position under the discretion of the mayor. He's a cop like the Secretary of Defense is a soldier. A politician that happens to be in charge due to political appointment.

Raise your hand if your surprised a political appointee on either coast is anti-gun.

I have an idea. What if the FOP were to weigh in on more issues, given that it is an organization of officers and not the mayor's plaything? I see potential for this to be an effective way to bridge the gap between the police and the people with the politicians cut out of the loop.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To All,

Someone far wiser than I made an observation some time ago that I didn't even think of until he or she said it.

Have you noticed that when politicians want to push an agenda on crime or oppressing our rights they always bring out a POLICE chief or the equivalent? They almost never bring out a sheriff!!! That is because el hefe de policia is an appointed position that serves at the pleasure of the politician WHEREAS the sheriff serves the PEOPLE and is answerable directly to them! Sheriff's are not mouthpieces that can controlled by politicians, and thus are consulted less, testify less before State and Federal committee's, etc. Sheriff's are more likely to speak truth to power and not too many people want to hear that.

I would wager a paycheck that, on average, the sheriff's words are far more in line with his/her deputies than a policia hefe is with his/her LEO's.

Regards,

Doug

The deputies agree with the Sheriff, not vice versa, if they value their jobs. A Sheriff's Department is essentially all political appointees, especially in states without merit protection.

The CoP isn't elected, but the person who appoints him is.

I have an idea. What if the FOP were to weigh in on more issues, given that it is an organization of officers and not the mayor's plaything? I see potential for this to be an effective way to bridge the gap between the police and the people with the politicians cut out of the loop.

Pffft. The FOP has less political pull than a girl scout troop. Our local FOP can't make the mayor keep the contract he signed. You think they'll make political waves?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pffft. The FOP has less political pull than a girl scout troop. Our local FOP can't make the mayor keep the contract he signed. You think they'll make political waves?

The FOP could have that pull. All it takes is finding a way to take the message to the people. Right now, there is a vacuum in which most people can't distinguish the officers on the street from the CoP philosophically.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The FOP could have that pull. All it takes is finding a way to take the message to the people. Right now, there is a vacuum in which most people can't distinguish the officers on the street from the CoP philosophically.
    Here in Indy at least, neither the Mayor, the Public Safety Director, nor the Chief are pushing any negative gun agenda. It would have been VERY easy to do so with the media focus on violent crime and in other cities I would wager that Chiefs would have. The local TV stations were trying to push that conversation but no one took the bait. Thankfully this is purely an academic discussion for us. There is little for the FOP to talk about. In fact, a couple of weeks ago the FOP held a press conference with the Chief and the Director about the crime problem and solutions, never once did anything negative come up about firearms. So in essence, the FOP has placed themselves on the right side of the issue...locally.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The deputies agree with the Sheriff, not vice versa, if they value their jobs. A Sheriff's Department is essentially all political appointees, especially in states without merit protection.

The CoP isn't elected, but the person who appoints him is.

To BehindBlueI's,

Very good observation as well Sir.

It still appears to me from limited exposure to national stories involving LEO's the Sheriff's "seem" to have a more pro-liberty, pro-commonsense position than do CoP's. Of course, that is just anecdotal observation. I have also heard horror stories of bad Sheriff's as well.

Regards,

Doug

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Residents do not need to own shotguns or rifles?
    Then the Boston Police don't need 'em either!

Very few things I hate more than hypocrisy.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here in Indy at least, neither the Mayor, the Public Safety Director, nor the Chief are pushing any negative gun agenda. It would have been VERY easy to do so with the media focus on violent crime and in other cities I would wager that Chiefs would have. The local TV stations were trying to push that conversation but no one took the bait. Thankfully this is purely an academic discussion for us. There is little for the FOP to talk about. In fact, a couple of weeks ago the FOP held a press conference with the Chief and the Director about the crime problem and solutions, never once did anything negative come up about firearms. So in essence, the FOP has placed themselves on the right side of the issue...locally.

I did not mean to suggest that the FOP was on the wrong side of the issue. My point is that an organization that represents officers in a way that the Ivory Tower crew does not, I see a lot of potential for using the platform available to build a stronger and closer relationship with the community, one of a more interactive nature, that could do much to work through a lot of perception issues that tend to dominate the conversation when it comes up, regardless of the fact that these perceptions are often based on the limits of a given person's experiences. Simply put, I see the potential for the FOP to do on a larger scale what people like you, Phylodog, Joe, and Frank did for me personally, overcoming the perceptions that come from growing up with severely dirty police and an occupation where I deal with a small subset of law enforcement which is highly aggressive and with which the fact I exist is probable cause to be stopped, inspected/searched, and fined for literally anything short of perfection. No credit for a good faith effort allowed. As you would be aware, this was not an easy accomplishment, but as much as I distrusted police in general, I am satisfied that if I could be persuaded, any non-criminal could be persuaded. I see that as the critical key to overcoming the remainder of the problems, like cricket fields, when we have real problems which need real solutions. I am really sold on the idea that when good officers get to know more people, good things will happen.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A new look at the issue with some links. I agree with Dave on this to an extent. The FOP in Mass., (and other places) needs to step up and speak out against this kind of thing if that's really how the rank and file feel. Silence on the issue means assent. And, on issues like this one, (and other tough ones) you really are with us or against and silence will put you firmly in the against camp, like it or not. Perception is everything. Where are the rank and file in Boston? Why aren't we hearing from them?

Massachusetts police chiefs demand more power to disarm citizenry - National gun rights | Examiner.com

Top Bottom