• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Remember when these came out there wasn't a lot of competition, the Rugers which weren't a target gun, some Colt Woodsman's and probably High Standards. New guns may very well shoot as well as the old 41's now!

Not really a lot of competition today either - the Ruger MK Series , Buckmarks or Smith Victory are not bullseye competition ready out of the box.
    Most range shooters/plinkers/hunters looking for a Browning or Ruger probably don't consider spending many hundreds more for a 41. Top level bullseye shooters using guns like the Pardini or Hammerli are not in the market for a 41 either.

As my high master bullseye friend told me some years ago the 41 is a more ergonomic pistol for a lot of shooters , part of it might have to do with the grip angle being similar to the 1911 which is used in the centerfire stages. But the 41 is not something that will immediately transform a marksman shooter into a master over night.

In out of the box comparison between my 41 and MKII I'll shoot the 41 much better in a true one handed target match. Now with really good trigger work the MKII can perform well. Out of the box the MKII trigger was not very good for target matches. Clark Custom really performed one of the best trigger jobs I have ever experienced with my MKII back in 1994.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    I have always wanter one with a 7 inch barrel. I have an S&W 622 that has some similar design characteristics that is an awesome shooter!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have a gorgeous early 70's model with a 7" barrel and 12 mags. I run CCI SV exclusively. It works extremely well.
    I recently added a Vortex red dot.
    I love shooting it. It will be one of the last guns I give away to family.
    It's got an old-school craftsmanship that is pretty awesome compared to the Rugers I own.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would love to see pics of what you are talking about.
    I know it's not logical, since I can google it, but I'm lazy now that I'm Retired. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I finally got the rail put back on the 41, after discovering it was custom cut to fit over the front sight, and be flush with the front of the barrel, and cut to fit over the edge of the rear sight.
    I'll leave a pic of that.
    Plus I tried out the RWS 1.5 x20 scope that came with it (with pics) & my Bushnell TRS-25 red dot (with pics).
    You can see how they shot and which is the best, but I think I'm going with the red dot since I have a Nikon scope on my Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel.
    I was dialing them in and they both ended up being neck and neck, whether the scope or the red dot.

RWS 1.5 x20 scope (old & came with it) 50' on a rest.
    8xTYQaS.jpg

Bushnell TRS-25 red dot scope at 50' on a rest.
    Evt0hov.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    As the distances increase I shoot better with a scope from a rest. I think I'll try my 41 out from a rest this weekend - has been long while since I've done that. I have a 1" Ultradot on it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Shot the 41 today at 50 yards with standing two hand hold and then shooting from a rest. First time I have fired the 41 from a rest with a red dot but many years ago I did use a scope from a rest.
    View attachment 80797
    I am more satisfied with the standing target as the 41 should do much better from a rest but for my eyes at that range a scope is far more precise - I am going to shoot again with a scope . I did adjust the red dot to the right after firing the standing target - a little too much.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shot the 41 today at 50 yards with standing two hand hold and then shooting from a rest. First time I have fired the 41 from a rest with a red dot but many years ago I did use a scope from a rest.
    View attachment 80797
    I am more satisfied with the standing target as the 41 should do much better from a rest but for my eyes at that range a scope is far more precise - I am going to shoot again with a scope .

I can't believe that is 150'/50 yds!
    I can barely shoot any better than that at 50 feet!!!
    I'll look forward to using an outside range sometime so I can try the 50 yards just to see how humbling it can be.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I can't believe that is 150'/50 yds!
    I can barely shoot any better than that at 50 feet!!!
    I'll look forward to using an outside range sometime so I can try the 50 yards just to see how humbling it can be.

Fifty feet can be pretty challenging too - in the Muncie League it was a 50 ft range but the targets /scoring rings were pretty small. My bullseye shooter friend would say I "cheat" shooting two handed! I am going to repeat the rested target test again with one of my pistol scopes - probably a 2X Leupold or Burris , also have a 2X-7X Burris on a Ruger Charger that I could borrow. Shooting free handed 2X is the most I have used.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Couple of quick range picks.
    I was trying out another .22LR revolver but took time to shoot the S/W 41 & Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel.

54tjK8z.jpg

13NYIjY.jpg

vkr1L1H.jpg

1wsDed3.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range pic at 21' & 30' & 45' using the Bushnell TRS-25.
    Been shooting it against the Beretta 87 Target with pics on that thread.
    Love this gun!

hke6Lj0.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love my 41s. Rarely shoot the Ruger MKIIs or Colts anymore. I use CCI SV and Federal AutoMatch almost exclusively in mine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love my 41s. Rarely shoot the Ruger MKIIs or Colts anymore. I use CCI SV and Federal AutoMatch almost exclusively in mine.

41(s)? You have more than one?
    I googled the Federals & they were 1200 FPS, not like the SV 1072 FPS.
    I thought SV were under 1100 FPS, and the 41 is supposed to use them.
    I used to use the CCI Mini-Mags thinking I was being nice to my SW 41 until someone told me use only SV.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I used to use the CCI Mini-Mags thinking I was being nice to my SW 41 until someone told me use only SV.

I own more than one, I shoot for the most part Federal Champion 714 Blue Box. Its 40 grain with 1180 fps. Its about 275 bucks a case of 5,000 delivered.
    There is more than one Federal Champion Blue box 22lr. The other is 510 and its about 200 bucks a case of 5,000 delivered.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

I have 3. A 7” 2nd year of production, a 7” newer production gun and my favorite the 5.5”. I have to admit my ignorance on the Auto Match as I thought it was standard velocity until I just went and checked. I use it in my CZ rifles and they love it. I try to stay with SV on the 41s. CCI SV, Federal Target and some Eley Match are in my stash right now. I just picked up a Weatherby XXII semi auto so hopefully I can find a place to shoot soon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom