• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have to admit my ignorance on the Auto Match as I thought it was standard velocity until I just went and checked. I use it in my CZ rifles and they love it.

I have used Auto Match in my 4" 22/45 with some really great results. I never thought to try it in my CZ rifles - I'll have to do that this weekend , thanks for the tip.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have 3. A 7” 2nd year of production, a 7” newer production gun and my favorite the 5.5”. I have to admit my ignorance on the Auto Match as I thought it was standard velocity until I just went and checked. I use it in my CZ rifles and they love it. I try to stay with SV on the 41s. CCI SV, Federal Target and some Eley Match are in my stash right now. I just picked up a Weatherby XXII semi auto so hopefully I can find a place to shoot soon.

did you buy the weatherby that was here on ingo?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    When I was having trouble finding .22 ammo I bought some Fiocchi 22FLRN, 1,070 FPS and had great results with it in my Mark IVs, 10/22s, and my M&P 15/22. Shot well in them all and very reliable.

Fiocchi SV 22.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have 3. A 7” 2nd year of production, a 7” newer production gun and my favorite the 5.5”. I have to admit my ignorance on the Auto Match as I thought it was standard velocity until I just went and checked. I use it in my CZ rifles and they love it. I try to stay with SV on the 41s. CCI SV, Federal Target and some Eley Match are in my stash right now. I just picked up a Weatherby XXII semi auto so hopefully I can find a place to shoot soon.

You are my envy :thumbsup:.
    Having 3: you are my HERO. :wow:

It is the best .22LR that I've had in my hand & I would love to have another, perhaps with the longer 7" barrel and a "better" year.
    Mine was from the 80s.
    I have been warned from an 89 yr. old friend who shot competition with the 41 in his younger days that there are some years to stay away from.
    His was a 1981 & it had a "bad" barrel & he got another barrel from SW and it was great & he shot it in competitively for years.
    He says that if he had to do it all over again, he'd have a company he knows about that relines the barrel with excellent results.

My 41 chamber was impeding the smooth loading and its ejection of a round.
    He took out a "swagging" tool from his bag.
    Apparently it corrects the chamber that has been damaged from dry firing.
    Smooth as glass again: you can easily pull a round out of the chamber if you wish now.
    Not been an issue since.

He used to live 1.5 hours from the SW factory & went there many times & knew people there.
    He claims it was when they made guns right & took pains with their fit & function: their bluing was artwork.
    Can't remember what decade that was: 1960??? I think.

Oddly enough, he actually shoots something that suits his arthritis now: a 1911 STI Trojan frame with an Advantage Arms 22LR Target Conversion kit.
    He said he had one a long time ago and sold it, and got another 15 yrs. later.

I recognize the Weatherby name, b/c my long-time friend bought a hunting rifle he was proud of and I still remember the conversation in the car about it: he was gushing! :laugh:
    I suppose it would be something like having a Beretta shotgun. :rockwoot:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    All of ours are pre 1978 pistols and all that means to me is they have a loading indicator and the newer ones don't. I've never heard of bad years with 41's in the almost 50+ years of shooting and owning them.
    I would be interested if someone know what these bad years are..
    And folks wondered why someone would buy a Wilson barrel?
    Because Wilson offered different options including a 22 short conversion for a period of time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All of ours are pre 1978 pistols and all that means to me is they have a loading indicator and the newer ones don't. I've never heard of bad years with 41's in the almost 50+ years of shooting and owning them.
    I would be interested if someone know what these bad years are..
    And folks wondered why someone would buy a Wilson barrel?
    Because Wilson offered different options including a 22 short conversion for a period of time.

Pre-1978 sounds good from before whatever changes SW had started which effected production.

My 89 yr. old friend was telling me just today about the "indicators."
    He said to look in back of the upper frame (under the rear sight) for a little hole.
    When you cock the 41, a pin would come up from that hole in the older models.

He also said to look at the end of the barrel for a muzzle break and/or a barrel cap.
    If a screw was holding them together also indicates an older "better" year.

I pressed him on good & bad years or decade, but he couldn't remember specific years or decades to stay away from (ourside of his own 1981 experience).
    I told him I had even read about recent SW 41s being "twitchy" even if you bought a new one, which is disappointing since I can get one for $1181, either barrel lengths, and most are selling for more than that which doesn't speak to people's confidence in the recent manufacturing.

Of course, money saving manufacturing shortcuts is the answer & why people in the know seek out earlier models.

He personally had a 1981 SW 41 and it had a bad barrel & SW sent him another one & it shot fine in competitions for years.
    When he talked with a SW customer service representative, they admitted that yes, ones being made at that time (1981 era) to run Remington Standard Velocity and it would fire 9/10 rounds, but was accurate.
    He also said if he had to do it all over again he knows a place that relines the barrel with excellent results & would do that.

I gave thought about buying the SW 41(1981 recently in the Classifieds (estate sale), but when I called my friend and told him of the year, he warned me against it since his was a 1981.

What is your input about accuracy with the 5/5" barrel vs the 7" barrel (I read where there is a 7 3/8" barrel, as well).
    I've read where the 2 barrels were for different applications:
    5.5" for 25 yd rapid fire
    7" for 50 yd slow fire

Most everyone says that for the "normal" person, there will be no discernible difference & most prefer the balance of the 5.5"
    What has been your experience?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Proud to say I've joined this club. I bought this one from our classifieds. Looking forward to getting it out to shoot soon.

If that was the one that donballz in Fishers was selling: Model 41 7" $900, it certainly turned my head with the presentation it came with. :wow:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    did you buy the weatherby that was here on ingo?

No, I got mine at a LGS. It had a Redfield 3-9x AccuTrac scope that came off immediately for one of my semi military bolt guns. Mine is an early Italian (Beretta) built semi auto and is in very nice shape. It has a feature that allows for single shots or semi auto fire. Now I need to find some magazines!
    As for my 41s one is a 2nd year production 7” that I picked up years ago, then my favorite is a 5 1/2” that came in the blue cardboard box and the third one is a 7” that came in the blue plastic box. I’ve had it about 10 years or so and don’t shoot it much. Might be in the classifieds soon. The other two are my keepers!! I never really thought about the build dates on them. I’ll do that next time I dig em out.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No, I got mine at a LGS. It had a Redfield 3-9x AccuTrac scope that came off immediately for one of my semi military bolt guns. Mine is an early Italian (Beretta) built semi auto and is in very nice shape. It has a feature that allows for single shots or semi auto fire. Now I need to find some magazines!
    As for my 41s one is a 2nd year production 7” that I picked up years ago, then my favorite is a 5 1/2” that came in the blue cardboard box and the third one is a 7” that came in the blue plastic box. I’ve had it about 10 years or so and don’t shoot it much. Might be in the classifieds soon. The other two are my keepers!! I never really thought about the build dates on them. I’ll do that next time I dig em out.

If you find a source for mags, let me know. I found one in a bargin bin a few years ago, so I have three now, but I would like some more.

I inherited my XXII from my dad when he died. It is a great shooter! I used to watch him when I was a kid make designs with bullets on targets.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you find a source for mags, let me know. I found one in a bargin bin a few years ago, so I have three now, but I would like some more.

I inherited my XXII from my dad when he died. It is a great shooter! I used to watch him when I was a kid make designs with bullets on targets.

I only have the 5 round mag that came with it. I saw a post that said one of the Savage(?) mags works in them too. Also saw a video that showed the amazing accuracy of these rifles with standard ammo. Hope mine shoots that well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I only have the 5 round mag that came with it. I saw a post that said one of the Savage(?) mags works in them too. Also saw a video that showed the amazing accuracy of these rifles with standard ammo. Hope mine shoots that well.

Next to an Anschutz, it was (and possibly still is) the cream of the crop when it came to .22 rifles.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Pre-1978 sounds good from before whatever changes SW had started which effected production.

My 89 yr. old friend was telling me just today about the "indicators."
    He said to look in back of the upper frame (under the rear sight) for a little hole.
    When you cock the 41, a pin would come up from that hole in the older models.

He also said to look at the end of the barrel for a muzzle break and/or a barrel cap.
    If a screw was holding them together also indicates an older "better" year.

I pressed him on good & bad years or decade, but he couldn't remember specific years or decades to stay away from (ourside of his own 1981 experience).
    I told him I had even read about recent SW 41s being "twitchy" even if you bought a new one, which is disappointing since I can get one for $1181, either barrel lengths, and most are selling for more than that which doesn't speak to people's confidence in the recent manufacturing.

Of course, money saving manufacturing shortcuts is the answer & why people in the know seek out earlier models.

He personally had a 1981 SW 41 and it had a bad barrel & SW sent him another one & it shot fine in competitions for years.
    When he talked with a SW customer service representative, they admitted that yes, ones being made at that time (1981 era) to run Remington Standard Velocity and it would fire 9/10 rounds, but was accurate.
    He also said if he had to do it all over again he knows a place that relines the barrel with excellent results & would do that.

I gave thought about buying the SW 41(1981 recently in the Classifieds (estate sale), but when I called my friend and told him of the year, he warned me against it since his was a 1981.

What is your input about accuracy with the 5/5" barrel vs the 7" barrel (I read where there is a 7 3/8" barrel, as well).
    I've read where the 2 barrels were for different applications:
    5.5" for 25 yd rapid fire
    7" for 50 yd slow fire

Most everyone says that for the "normal" person, there will be no discernible difference & most prefer the balance of the 5.5"
    What has been your experience?

I have always preferred the 5 1/2" barrel,the first one of mine that I bought as a young man was a 7"+ and it comes with a factory easily removable non functioning comp on the end of the barrel.
    A few years later I bought a 5 1/2" and thats the one I tend to shoot. My sons now have my fathers and my Gfathers 41's, both have 5 1/2" barrels with one having a front sight that will overhang the barrel about 3 1/2-4". And one has an extra 7" barrel. I do know that the Air Force long ago ordered a bunch of 41's with different barrel lengths.
    If you like the 41, I suggest you dont shoot a S&W mod 52, if you do you will be buying another pistol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As for my 41s one is a 2nd year production 7” that I picked up years ago, then my favorite is a 5 1/2” that came in the blue cardboard box and the third one is a 7” that came in the blue plastic box.
    I’ve had it about 10 years or so and don’t shoot it much.
    Might be in the classifieds soon.
    The other two are my keepers!!
    I never really thought about the build dates on them.
    I’ll do that next time I dig em out.

Your going to sell a 41 with a 7" barrel?
    Is it a more recent production (2000 an up)?
    Does it have a rail?
    Did it have any failures with ammo?
    I was just looking a a video were the guy said 40 grain solid point was never a problem but if he used a 36 grain it would fail on the 1st round of every mag.

Since I enjoy my 41 more than anything else, I've thought about buying another: Performance Center, but they retail for $1553 & probably could get one for $200 less than that.
    Comes with a picatinny rail built into it, which is nice for a red dot.
    I have my eye on another 41 from a friend, but it doesn't come with a rail, I don't suppose.
    The one I have came with a rail especially made to go over the edge of the rear sight & probably he had it drilled for such by the original owner.

e7DSMZc.jpg

Xcg3lpI.jpg
    IXLi1e4.jpg
    zBWpaUj.jpg
    AcQJBGj.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have always preferred the 5 1/2" barrel,the first one of mine that I bought as a young man was a 7"+ and it comes with a factory easily removable non functioning comp on the end of the barrel.
    A few years later I bought a 5 1/2" and thats the one I tend to shoot. My sons now have my fathers and my Gfathers 41's, both have 5 1/2" barrels with one having a front sight that will overhang the barrel about 3 1/2-4". And one has an extra 7" barrel. I do know that the Air Force long ago ordered a bunch of 41's with different barrel lengths.
    If you like the 41, I suggest you dont shoot a S&W mod 52, if you do you will be buying another pistol.

Your preference is the same as what I've read & the experience of my friend's.
    His 1st SW decades ago was with a 7 inch barrel & he had someone shoot it who was had scored 2600 points (which at the time there were only 10-12 others who had done so), on some special shooting competition level & he didn't do any better with the 7" than with his own gun.
    I've seen the overhanging front sight.

I had to google the SW model 52, but at $1500 - $2000: I will have good resistance. :)
    I'm really not looking for another 9mm to try out anyway, just perfecting my .22LR bevy.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Your preference is the same as what I've read & the experience of my friend's.
    His 1st SW decades ago was with a 7 inch barrel & he had someone shoot it who was had scored 2600 points (which at the time there were only 10-12 others who had done so), on some special shooting competition level & he didn't do any better with the 7" than with his own gun.
    I've seen the overhanging front sight.

I had to google the SW model 52, but at $1500 - $2000: I will have good resistance. :)
    I'm really not looking for another 9mm to try out anyway, just perfecting my .22LR bevy.

The older 52's are in 38 special wadcutter.

Top Bottom