• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbmayes2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Vincennes
    On topic: This seems a little ridiculous. I mean, it's just squirt guns? If anything, you could have taught them responsibilities of gun ownership. I will not, however, discredit the entire organization because they banned squirt guns. I was never in boy scouts but I'm positive they can teach great things to children.

Off Topic: The likening of gay people to child molesters is crazy offensive.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    On topic: This seems a little ridiculous. I mean, it's just squirt guns? If anything, you could have taught them responsibilities of gun ownership. I will not, however, discredit the entire organization because they banned squirt guns. I was never in boy scouts but I'm positive they can teach great things to children.

Squirt guns are not banned....just shooting at each other with them.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I think the liberal movement to eliminate all possibility of injury no matter how minor is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Sure Scouts are occasionally going to suffer injuries (minor burns learning how to build a fire, sprained ankles hiking through the woods etc.) all part of the learning growing process. I was a Scoutmaster many years ago.

I remember being begged by several of my boys to go swimming at one of our Jamborees that had a small lake with diving board etc.. It was about 75 Deg air temp but the water was about 50 (colder than H). Finally I had enough and let them go in, some of the other Scout Masters thought they could be hurt, but I had done the same thing in my youth so knew it was safe. I watched them wade and dive in, swear one boy swam out of the water so fast he was almost on top of the water. The swim didn't last 5 minutes, boy's had enough (but they had fun and learned some things). Now they would probably censor me for that action.

Another time we were camping at a remote cabin in the woods, it was a hot day and we had walked about a half mile or so and came to a small creek. Boys said "we sure wish we could go swimming but we don't have any suits". I told them we could go skinny dipping (we were a long way from any anyone) so we all stripped down and swam for a half hour or so. Guess today, I would be in trouble for doing that, but sure was fun! Yeah I am straight and raised 5 boys and a girl (mine / hers and ours) so certainly wouldn't have done anything that was physically or mentally damaging to any of my troop.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I think the liberal movement to eliminate all possibility of injury no matter how minor is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Sure Scouts are occasionally going to suffer injuries (minor burns learning how to build a fire, sprained ankles hiking through the woods etc.) all part of the learning growing process. I was a Scoutmaster many years ago.

I remember being begged by several of my boys to go swimming at one of our Jamborees that had a small lake with diving board etc.. It was about 75 Deg air temp but the water was about 50 (colder than H). Finally I had enough and let them go in, some of the other Scout Masters thought they could be hurt, but I had done the same thing in my youth so knew it was safe. I watched them wade and dive in, swear one boy swam out of the water so fast he was almost on top of the water. The swim didn't last 5 minutes, boy's had enough (but they had fun and learned some things). Now they would probably censor me for that action.

Another time we were camping at a remote cabin in the woods, it was a hot day and we had walked about a half mile or so and came to a small creek. Boys said "we sure wish we could go swimming but we don't have any suits". I told them we could go skinny dipping (we were a long way from any anyone) so we all stripped down and swam for a half hour or so. Guess today, I would be in trouble for doing that, but sure was fun! Yeah I am straight and raised 5 boys and a girl (mine / hers and ours) so certainly wouldn't have done anything that was physically or mentally damaging to any of my troop.

Skinny dipping is forbidden and how dare you allow them to swim without two BSA certified life guards on hand...oh wait...the BSA doesn't certify life guards anymore.

The next Camping Merit Badge will no longer require actual camping, just a 5 page report on why camping is destructive to the planet and what can be done to save the Earth.

Q: What supervision is needed at resident camp for shooting sports?
    A: A currently certified National Camping School shooting sports director is required. If more than one range is in operation at the same time, each range must have a certified NCS director or NRA instructor for the discipline (type) of range running the line. If no instruction (open shoot) is taking place, an NRA range safety officer may run the line.

Q: What type of training do I need to help my Boy Scout troop or Varsity team take youth to a shooting day at a local range or at our Scout camp?
    A: You need to be an NRA certified instructor in the discipline with which you plan to help. NRA certifications in rifle, pistol, shotgun, or muzzleloading rifle, or NRA shotgun coach or rifle coach would be necessary. You must also have an NRA range safety officer certification for the person who is running the range. There must be two separate people running your event. The trainer is an NRA certified training counselor. You can find this person in your local council or by calling the NRA. You can also find more information in the new Shooting Sports Manual in the sections regarding training.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I went to one scouting event, the stripped the pants off a kid and laughed at him. Never again had any interest in scouting after that. Methinks squirt guns would be healthier than my scouting experience for sure.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hell that happened in high school all the time. We called it a droopie. We also did bag tags, those were cruel... Boys will be boys.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Assuming a male girlscout leader is going to molest little girls is as stupid and presumptuous as assuming a gay boy scout leader is going to molest little boys. Gay does not equal child molester. You people need to get that through your thick skulls. I have friends, male and female, who are gay and they would kill a child molester just as fast as you would. There are two different lines here, being sexually attracted to members of the same sex, and being sexually attracted to children.

Well I thought I wasn't going to get into this but here goes...

I love how some people are referring to 16 and 17 year old young men as "children".

(from the BSA adult leader application) All leaders must be 21 years of age or older, except
    College Scouter Reserve, assistant Scoutmasters, assistant den leaders, assistant Cubmasters, assistant Webelos den leaders, and assistant Varsity Scout coaches, who must be 18 or older.

Anyone know any 18 year old "men" who are attracted to 16 year old "girls"? Do you see any college boys dating high school girls? My senior year in high school (I was 18 when we met) I dated 16 year old girl.

By the same logic there will be 18 year old gay men attracted to 16 year old "boys".

Don't sit behind your keyboards and pretend that young gay college-age scout leaders wouldn't be sexually attracted to some of the young men. These ARE NOT "children" we're talking about and I reject the strawman argument that "gay people aren't pedophiles" - we're NOT talking about CHILDREN in the Boy Scout program. Yes there are 7-10 year old Cubs Scouts and 11-12 year old Boy Scouts, but we're also talking about 16-17 year old young men in their prime, who were literally their potential peers a year or two earlier, and probably still fell like they are peers in many ways. And at that age we know the peer influence can be much much stronger than adult or parental influence.

Six months ago I finished a 5.5 year stint as Scoutmaster and this year I will complete 25 years as a Scouting Veteran having been several other positions as well... over the years I have had a couple gay scouts in the troop. Last year the BSA announced they would allow openly gay scouts in the BSA. My ONLY concern/issue is what do I do at shower time at summer camp and how to deal with tent buddies?

It would be against my conscience to allow straight young man to enter and shower in girls' locker room; the girls don't want it and by doing so I am not protecting the young women or the young man. By not allowing the gay young man to shower with the rest of the troop am I discriminating? No more than I am by not allowing a young man to shower with the ladies.

And before you say it's not the same thing... it is.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I remember having a BBgun fight, with a Red Rider......we were "safe"!!! We all had on safety goggles and no head shots were 'allowed'. Those BB's still hurt with a T-Shirt and sweatshirt on.... Needless to say the Boy Scouts didn't sanction this event.....damn liberals are taking all the fun away from kids now days.....

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Just another example of the description of the American male ! I still have my uniform/book and all that jazz from the 70's.
    So FN sad it has come to this,
    It is a dark day for America :(

Seems to be happening a lot lately ?

Top Bottom