• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    To all who are reading this thread, any Glock that has a NIB coating is not a factory weapon. Glock does not do this coating. If you don't believe me, please scour the website and the Glock catalog and find me the model number for a factory NIB coated Glock. I have and I still have not found it myself. Although that would be a really cool and nice option from the factory.

I say all of that because of those who want to put the blame at Glock's feet. The blame rest squarely on those who add this coating. Any coater who is worth their salt will admit that you must either polish the coating off some parts or prevent coating some parts so that the change in dimensions does not affect reliability. Changing dimensions and tolerances can really mess a pistol up. Apparently WMD Guns is not thinking of such things.

I think that all of us here can agree that aftermarket add ons, changes and alterations all carry the potential for lower reliability out of any pistol...Glock or otherwise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To all who are reading this thread, any Glock that has a NIB coating is not a factory weapon. Glock does not do this coating. If you don't believe me, please scour the website and the Glock catalog and find me the model number for a factory NIB coated Glock. I have and I still have not found it myself. Although that would be a really cool and nice option from the factory.

I say all of that because of those who want to put the blame at Glock's feet. The blame rest squarely on those who add this coating. Any coater who is worth their salt will admit that you must either polish the coating off some parts or prevent coating some parts so that the change in dimensions does not affect reliability. Changing dimensions and tolerances can really mess a pistol up. Apparently WMD Guns is not thinking of such things.

I think that all of us here can agree that aftermarket add ons, changes and alterations all carry the potential for lower reliability out of any pistol...Glock or otherwise.

Of course modifications of any kind will inhance or inhibit function on any gun.

I just had to take the shot. It was out there, I saw it and I jumped on it......:)

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just had to take the shot. It was out there, I saw it and I jumped on it......:)

As a quick aside, it's posts like yours that just flat out destroy the readabiliity of threads here. The break room is one thing, but it would be really nice if people experiencing issues like this one and others didn't have to sift through 10 pages of "LOL GLOCK SUKS" to find the nuggets of real discussion. It happens to practically every thread that goes over 1 page and it's crazy annoying. We were having a pretty good on-topic discussion before you decided to nose in and contribute absolutely nothing of value. /rant

I appreciate the feedback on this issue so far guys, it's frustrating but a good learning experience. I've reached out to Glock and to WMD to see if I can get some accurate detail on the warranty status of "new" NiBx glocks, I'll post when I hear back.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glock may not have done the coating, but they sanction it from others. These guns are sold with a complete Glock warranty and are done with the blessing of Glock. Once the gun is broken in, it will be fine. I know a lot of Glockophiles have heartburn regarding breaking a pistol in, but that is the case with these. It should not be an issue though, since you are going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds before carrying it, right? No gun, not even a Glock, should be trusted unless it's proven itself to be trust worthy.

You Glock guys have to accept that your guns are not always delivered in perfect condition. You would be an idiot to carry it before you vetted it to see if it is reliable. I've had more issues with Glocks than I've had with 1911s. Besides the break in issues with the G19, my G29 would not drop mags free and had a trigger that would not reset occasionally. The trigger issue went away with use and was fine by the time it was past 50 rounds, but the mags never would drop free on that gun. They are great guns and are an excellent example of simple design and function and can be extremely reliable. But, they are also a mass produced, molded frame pistol that can sometimes be off a bit. Trusting them before they have earned that trust is a really bad idea.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    ^^I would absolutely agree with that, though I would counter that any pistol that needs to be "broken in" is defective and needs to be repaired by the manufacturer, or at a minimum their reputation should suffer for it. I wouldn't accept a car that died every few miles until you'd driven it around the state a few times.

You're spot on about not carrying something until you've really given it a good vetting, that would be asking for Mr. Murphy to come knocking.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As a quick aside, it's posts like yours that just flat out destroy the readabiliity of threads here. The break room is one thing, but it would be really nice if people experiencing issues like this one and others didn't have to sift through 10 pages of "LOL GLOCK SUKS" to find the nuggets of real discussion. It happens to practically every thread that goes over 1 page and it's crazy annoying. We were having a pretty good on-topic discussion before you decided to nose in and contribute absolutely nothing of value. /rant

PANTIES_IN_A_BUNCH.jpg

​rhino out!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Glock may not have done the coating, but they sanction it from others. These guns are sold with a complete Glock warranty and are done with the blessing of Glock. Once the gun is broken in, it will be fine. I know a lot of Glockophiles have heartburn regarding breaking a pistol in, but that is the case with these. It should not be an issue though, since you are going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds before carrying it, right? No gun, not even a Glock, should be trusted unless it's proven itself to be trust worthy.

You Glock guys have to accept that your guns are not always delivered in perfect condition. You would be an idiot to carry it before you vetted it to see if it is reliable. I've had more issues with Glocks than I've had with 1911s. Besides the break in issues with the G19, my G29 would not drop mags free and had a trigger that would not reset occasionally. The trigger issue went away with use and was fine by the time it was past 50 rounds, but the mags never would drop free on that gun. They are great guns and are an excellent example of simple design and function and can be extremely reliable. But, they are also a mass produced, molded frame pistol that can sometimes be off a bit. Trusting them before they have earned that trust is a really bad idea.

+1
    Break it in. 300-500 rounds and it will be fine.
    Breaking in any gun is a good idea. You have to know it will work.
    I wouldn't buy a brand new car with 1 mile on it and drive it to Alaska. I would put a few hundred miles on it so I know it's going to get me there.
    Brand new cars never have problems, right? LOL

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Given the fact, that the NIB-X I would put a few more downrange, before sending it back. It will probably "break-in." If you are also using Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ, be aware that ammo has been known to be light/inconsistent as well. Then, you factor in that it is a Gen 4, it may need a few more rounds to prove it self worthy.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

I'm not a Glock guy beyond the facts that 1) I have one and 2) I like it a lot.

If Glock warrants coated guns, then I agree that Glock is sanctioning it and should be held responsible. It's no different than how Chevy can be blamed for the actions of a Chevy Dealer if they are the authorized agent acting with the knowledge of the first party.

I think a lot of Glock fans take it a little too far, deifying the company and ignoring the possibility of any mistakes.

Folks, any company shipping 9mm and .40 with the same recoil springs is choosing low cost over function. The only way to do that is to ensure that the 9mm is over sprung, the .40 under sprung, or both.

I think by now almost everyone agrees that the 9mm Gen 4 issues were largely the result of over sprung guns calibrated more towards .40SW. Only with powerful enough ammo and enough spring cycles to relax it a bit did they gain a measure of reliability with the original spring.

Glock has a good reputation-- in spite of recent attempts to tarnish that by the company. But reputation is not performance-- it's risk mitigation.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

This! :yesway:

ZX got these guns as specials from a distributor, and I, like Worddoer, am wary of non-factory modifications. However, I had no basis for questioning the reliability of the non-factory finish until CTS showed us his problems, with photos and link to a video of people experiencing similar issues with the aftermarket finish. Sgt. DeYoung and I are both Glock armorers, and we will do live testing on the gun as early as Tuesday, March 18. If, indeed, the gun has been compromised as it appears, I am sure ZX will make it good for CTS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I appreciate the feedback on this issue so far guys, it's frustrating but a good learning experience. I've reached out to Glock and to WMD to see if I can get some accurate detail on the warranty status of "new" NiBx glocks, I'll post when I hear back.

Well, aren't you special. Do you know how many freaking times the Glock fan boyz have spewed this crap in threads about other guns. I was just returning the favor. Lighten up chief.

Oh, I never ever once posted in this forum that GLOCK's suck.

So rant on this....take a pill.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    OK, so I spoke with Glock and they will still warranty the firearm, but any issues relating to the finish have be dealt with by the company that did the coating. Glock has nothing to do with the coating process, it's something a few distributors decided to do of their own volition. So essentially, you can send it to Glock, but if it's slide/barrel related they'll send it right back. It's definitely something to be aware of before purchasing one of these. The only way I'm aware of to know who did the coating, is a postcard found in the box with the firearm, this is mine:

wmdnibx.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I find it ironic that the coating is added for purposes of increasing reliability and corrosion resistance on a Glock. Love, Hate, or indifferent . . . it's a fact that Glocks are about as reliable as a machine can be and I've only seen one with significant rust on it (mine). Adding something to enhance reliability of something that is already reliable makes little sense, then when it actually seems to impair function and reduce reliability, it goes beyond not making sense.

Does it just look really cool? What am I missing?

rhino out!

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I find it ironic that the coating is added for purposes of increasing reliability and corrosion resistance on a Glock. Love, Hate, or indifferent . . . it's a fact that Glocks are about as reliable as a machine can be and I've only seen one with significant rust on it (mine). Adding something to enhance reliability of something that is already reliable makes little sense, then when it actually seems to impair function and reduce reliability, it goes beyond not making sense.

Does it just look really cool? What am I missing?

Well on the plus side I can tell you that thing is ridiculously easy to clean, the coating appears to be essentially Teflon for carbon. There are also folks who seem to have never had any type of malfunction with theirs, so done correctly I would imagine it's a net positive for the gun, but certainly not worth it if there's a reliability concern.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well on the plus side I can tell you that thing is ridiculously easy to clean, the coating appears to be essentially Teflon for carbon. There are also folks who seem to have never had any type of malfunction with theirs, so done correctly I would imagine it's a net positive for the gun, but certainly not worth it if there's a reliability concern.

Is it too slippery to get a good grip the slide if your hands are wet?

Top Bottom