• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've been told that you run the gun dry.... no lube for about 200 rounds after you get them coated. After that, they run like a clock. The coating changes the dimensions of the part. It may be super thin, but it's obviously enough to cause issues. Running it dry seems to polish up all the problem points.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    My G19 NibX was the same. I could not get through a string of 3 rounds without at least 1 of them failing to feed. In my opinion, the NibX finish causes an increased amount of drag before it's broken in and in a Gen 3 G19, if you are using target ammo, there's just not enough energy to cycle the gun. The Gen 3 G19 uses the same recoil assy as the G23 and while I think that works fine for a stock G19, it is too much spring for a fresh NibX 19. I installed an aftermarket guide rod and lighter recoil spring and the problem went away. Then after about 150 rounds, I swapped the stock recoil assy back in and it no longer failed to function with it.

My recommendation is to run about 200 rounds of a more stout reload or maybe SD ammo through it. Once you are past the break in, the gun runs just like any other G19. BTW, my G23 with NibX has never had an issue with any ammo. I think that points to the G19 being slightly over sprung and a NibX gun with light loads is just too much for it until broken in.

While this sounds like a decent suggestion, I also don't like the idea of a needed break-in, especially on Glocks... plus 200 rds of self-defense ammo is almost 1/2 the price of a new gun.
    Their reliability WAS the main thing that Glock had in their favor.
    Like others have said, (if it's a gen3) you can swap to a lighter recoil spring assembly with an aftermarket spring and see if that helps

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I find it ironic that the coating is added for purposes of increasing reliability and corrosion resistance on a Glock. Love, Hate, or indifferent . . . it's a fact that Glocks are about as reliable as a machine can be and I've only seen one with significant rust on it (mine). Adding something to enhance reliability of something that is already reliable makes little sense, then when it actually seems to impair function and reduce reliability, it goes beyond not making sense.

Does it just look really cool? What am I missing?

rhino out!

I have it on both my G23 and G19 and I've never had an issue with the 23. The 19 only had issues until broken in. I like the finish because it does clean up a lot easier. All it takes after a range trip is a quick wipe down with a cloth and it's clean again.

Sounds like the coating, at least in part, voids parts of the warranty.

Not in the least. All Glock says is that if you have issues with the finish, send it to the folks that did it. The people that did the finish warrant it for life, but I've never seen issues with it one way or another.

I'm really having trouble understanding why there is such an issue with the break in issue. The NibX finish does bring something to the table and the cost of that is that the gun needs shot a bit when new. You can shorten the process a bit with some polish, but the best course of action for any new gun is to shoot it. Shoot it a bit and you end up with a better Glock than factory. The NibX is easier to grip than tennifer, yet cleans up easier as well. It can be run dry if you want and adds better corrosion protection. All, at the cost of just shooting the gun a bit more, which you want to do anyway.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It feels to me like there is more grip on the NibX G19 than on my stock G20. Not a huge difference, but certainly not slipperier than stock.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Why does everyone freak out about a break in? Just about every modern car sold has a "break in" procedure. Why would another mechanical device be any different? I would expect it to be reliable out of the box but a break in is not a bad thing.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Why does everyone freak out about a break in? Just about every modern car sold has a "break in" procedure. Why would another mechanical device be any different? I would expect it to be reliable out of the box but a break in is not a bad thing.

I guess if it needs to be "broken in" to work correctly it's something I would expect them to take care of at the factory instead of shipping an unreliable firearm.

I'm definitely not wigging out or anything, personally I think the whole thing is kind of interesting and I learned something, so no worries here. I do think though that if a firearm has been modified from factory condition, that isn't something a customer should be expected to know, and I don't think the distributor went out of their way to ensure ZX even knew what they were receiving.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd have to disagree CTS. I don't think you'll get anyone to break a pistol (or car) in for you at the factory. They build it to specs, put a couple of rounds through it and then ship. Glocks tend to work out of the box because they are a loose tolerance gun. Even though current manufacturing processes have reduced the amount a car needs broken in, the break in period still exists. It's no different with Glocks. They do wear in with use and just because a stock gun does not fail, doesn't mean it's not getting broken in. There's the whole copper paste thing on them that's supposed to remain there until it goes away, which is about the point Glock thinks there gun is broken in.

If there is an issue, I think it's with the choice of recoil spring Glock uses for the G19. If the addition of the NibX finish is enough to cause failures with target ammo, then the pistol is over sprung. As said earlier in the thread, if the same spring is used in both the G19 and the G23, then either the G19 is over sprung or the G23 is under sprung, or a bit of both. Personally, I think the Gen 3 G19 is over sprung and is on the ragged edge of reliability when new. With use, it gets better, but the addition of the NibX finish should not be enough to impact the function of a properly set up gun with a gun built as loose as the Glock. When I put a reduced power spring in my G19, the issue went away. After a while, the issue did not come back even after putting the original spring back in.

I realize you are not freaking out over this and are just wanting to get a better feel for how your pistol is running. I think you'll love the NibX G19 once it's been run a bit. It's a nice sized package and the NibX makes it a breeze to clean too. I think it also makes the Glock look a bit better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so YMMV. Add a set of Talon grip tapes and upgrade the sights and in a month, you'll not even remember having had issues with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I'm not sure who is demonstrating anything that could be described as "freak out," but the point is, when did Glocks require a break-in period? They never have. Nor have several other brands/models. The guns that are expected to require it should not. Yeah, I've tolerated a lot of problems with new 1911s that eventually became solidly reliable performers, but it should not have been necessary.

Furthermore, whatever "break in" procedure that is associated with a modern car isn't related to the car not functioning properly when you purchase it. If it won't run, it's not because it hasn't been through a break-in procedure, it's because there is something wrong with it.

I am reluctant user of Glocks for a variety of reasons, but the single key element that made Glock so successful has been their uniform reliability from the time you load it the first time. If you do something to reduce that reliability, even if it is temporary, it makes no sense. If that same thing is done while at the same time alleging that it improves reliability, it's borderline insulting to the consumer. It's a classic example of fixing something that isn't broken and then breaking it as the coup de gras.

And now that I'm thinking about it, if this problem with proper function is as widespread as has been suggested here, the people who are marketing this coating and making claims of enhanced reliability have got some explaining to do to their customers. Their customers should be asking them some pointed questions.

I don't care so much if someone wants to buy an "improved" product and baby it until it's almost as good as it would have been without the improvements. Ultimately it doesn't matter if I "get it" or not, but that's not going to stop me from expressing an opinion on the absurdity of all of this. It's INGO!

​rhino out!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    +100
    Back in "the olde days", circa 1974, I was told not to trust any new firearm until you've run at least 500 rds thru it. This was told to me by Don Peters who was a master smith when I got my FIRST Colt 1911! I've heeded his advice ever since then no matter what firearm I get including Colts, Glocks or HK's.
    Just my .02 worth

Bob

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I've personally never found a Glock that was hard to clean, or a Glock that needed added corrosion protection. Sounds like the NiB treatment is a subpar solution for a problem that didn't exist. :twocents:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I've personally never found a Glock that was hard to clean, or a Glock that needed added corrosion protection. Sounds like the NiB treatment is a subpar solution for a problem that didn't exist. :twocents:

That is the impression I have at this point--somewhat akin to taking the engine apart in what would be a perfectly reliable new car, coating the pistons and cylinder walls with "tacti-cool" stuff, with the result being the engine now seizes up and won't run.

We will be live firing the gun this afternoon--putting it through its paces--to see what happens with two other shooters.
    Stay tuned!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    snake-oil.jpg

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Sgt. DeYoung and I ran about 125 rounds through the gun this afternoon. Ammunition included some new Federal 115 gr. FMJ that CTS gave us, plus an assortment of very old 9mm ammunition Sgt. DeYoung had lying around--left over from the 1980s and 1990s, when his agency used 9mm. Some were 115 gr. Silvertips, some light weight FMJ, some heavier FMJ, various hollowpoints, and some had very tarnished brass.

We shot the gun two-handed, one-handed (right and left,) and we shot it one-handed intentionally very limpwristed. Much to our surprise, the gun functioned flawlessly. The only thing we were able to induce was one failure to lock the slide back at the end of a magazine while doing an extreme, intentional limp wrist.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That is the impression I have at this point--somewhat akin to taking the engine apart in what would be a perfectly reliable new car, coating the pistons and cylinder walls with "tacti-cool" stuff, with the result being the engine now seizes up and won't run.

We will be live firing the gun this afternoon--putting it through its paces--to see what happens with two other shooters.
    Stay tuned!

I'm interested to see the results of the next test shoot. I'm guessing the issues will decrease as the round count increases. I don't think it's different than an engine break in. During the break in period, you need to run an engine in a specific way to allow the parts to properly mate. With the NibX, you have to run the gun in a specific way to get the parts to mate. If you don't break an engine in, you invite early failure. If you don't break the Glock in after NibX, you invite early failure. I have Glocks that have the coating and Glocks that don't have it. I definitely like the ones with the coating better. Is it a must have finish: No. But, it does make the gun a bit nicer to me.

One thing that is a bit frustrating about it is that when I bought it, I thought it was a Glock factory applied coating. There was no mention of it being done after it left the factory. I know, it's up to the buyer to know what they are buying but it should be a bit easier to find stuff like that out. It worked out in the end though, and I've come to really like the coating and can forgive the break in the Glock needs after getting it.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry for the wait, had a really long day. NIFT (aka Bob) called me earlier and he and Bryan put about 125 rounds through it. Around 15-20 of a box of Federal I had left over from the 200 I put through and, according to Bob, some of the crustiest rounds Bryan could find. :) All in he said they did about 125 with zero failures, with the exception of the slide not locking open at the end of a mag when they were quite intentionally limp wristing the pistol. So there may be something to this "break-in" period, time will tell. I'm planning to give it several hundred more rounds of testing before it gets a chance to be a carry gun. Bob has some upcoming classes (schedule here), if I can work my calendar out I'm going to use it at a couple upcoming classes and see how it does.

So in the end, there may be something to this break-in thing, but I still stand by my assertion that the company who did the coating is shipping firearms that are not functioning properly if they need to be broken in to operate correctly. The car engine analogy seems to be popular here...I'm willing to bet that virtually none of you would pick up a new car off of the lot, have it die 3 times on the way home, and accept "just take it on a road trip" as a reply from the dealer.

So, irrespective of your opinion on the break in subject or the value of NiB-X coating in general, these are some facts you should be aware of before getting one of these "new" Glocks:

• Glock does not recommend or authorize NiB-X coating, that is an action undertaken solely by the distributor.
    • Glock only warranties the non-altered components of the gun. You're dependent on the company that did the coating for any service on those.
    • It appears that there are several companies applying coatings, if you're going to buy one of these "new" look for the card or sheet in the case and make sure you're comfortable having to go to that company for any warranty issues.
    • NiB-X Glocks do at least look cooler than standard Glocks. :D (this one may or may not be a fact)

Again, a big thanks to Bryan and Bob for field testing it. ZX certainly wasn't under any obligation to do anything, there are many dealers who would have told me to pound sand and deal with the manufacturer, Bryan taking such an interest really speaks to the character of the folks there. I know if the testing went another direction, they were more than willing to help make sure something got worked out. I've gotten more than a couple of firearms there, some new and some used, and it's always been a positive experience. If Bob has any more to add, he's certainly welcome.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Sorry for the wait, had a really long day. NIFT (aka Bob) called me earlier and he and Bryan put about 125 rounds through it. Around 15-20 of a box of Federal I had left over from the 200 I put through and, according to Bob, some of the crustiest rounds Bryan could find. :) All in he said they did about 125 with zero failures, with the exception of the slide not locking open at the end of a mag when they were quite intentionally limp wristing the pistol. So there may be something to this "break-in" period, time will tell. I'm planning to give it several hundred more rounds of testing before it gets a chance to be a carry gun. Bob has some upcoming classes (schedule here), if I can work my calendar out I'm going to use it at a couple upcoming classes and see how it does.

So in the end, there may be something to this break-in thing, but I still stand by my assertion that the company who did the coating is shipping firearms that are not functioning properly if they need to be broken in to operate correctly. The car engine analogy seems to be popular here...I'm willing to bet that virtually none of you would pick up a new car off of the lot, have it die 3 times on the way home, and accept "just take it on a road trip" as a reply from the dealer.

So, irrespective of your opinion on the break in subject or the value of NiB-X coating in general, these are some facts you should be aware of before getting one of these "new" Glocks:

• Glock does not recommend or authorize NiB-X coating, that is an action undertaken solely by the distributor.
    • Glock only warranties the non-altered components of the gun. You're dependent on the company that did the coating for any service on those.
    • It appears that there are several companies applying coatings, if you're going to buy one of these "new" look for the card or sheet in the case and make sure you're comfortable having to go to that company for any warranty issues.
    • NiB-X Glocks do at least look cooler than standard Glocks. :D (this one may or may not be a fact)

Again, a big thanks to Bryan and Bob for field testing it. ZX certainly wasn't under any obligation to do anything, there are many dealers who would have told me to pound sand and deal with the manufacturer, Bryan taking such an interest really speaks to the character of the folks there. I know if the testing went another direction, they were more than willing to help make sure something got worked out. I've gotten more than a couple of firearms there, some new and some used, and it's always been a positive experience. If Bob has any more to add, he's certainly welcome.

Now you know. Enjoy your pistol.

Top Bottom