• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We haven't lived in the Elkhart county area for too long, but during that time, we saw the Pierre Moran Mall die. The Concord Mall is nearly dead. The UP Mall in Mishawaka is still nice, but you can see it's future. they had some type of event this year with similar troublemakers. So that element will take over and the folks that spend money will once again flee elsewhere or online.

We live close to the Laff. Square Mall.
    It was the 1st of it's kind in the city.
    Was the absolute coolest place to shop and be social.
    When the bus line put a stop in front of the mall (seriously) it marked the end.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When the bus line put a stop in front of the mall (seriously) it marked the end.
    I had heard the UP Mall fought the bus line for years, but eventually lost. So you get the urban youths from South Bend now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The 1st shopping center I remember was the open air "Eagledale" strip mall.
    It was 1 of if not the 1st in the city. It set standards for what followed.

On High School Road?

When I was a young fella, when my family went to Indianapolis, Lafayette Square was almost always our primary destination. We'd spend entire Saturdays or Sundays there. I always through the wires with the oil drops sliding down them were really cool.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The Concord mall is dead. The last time I was in there, half of the store fronts were empty, and what is left, isn't worth entering the building for.
    The UP mall is heading in the same direction. There are a lot of undesirables and loitering. The environment isn't welcoming and there isn't anything there that can't be bought elsewhere within a couple of miles and at better prices.
    My grandfather was the senior BA for the installation of all of the duct work in the UP mall when it was built.

Me and Mrs Glueman stopped in Walmart last night on CR 6 to pick up a few things around 7:00 pm.
    There was a guy about 18 or 19 heading towards the exit from the inside of the store. He was wearing a mask from the movie scream. He slid the mask to the top of his head when he got to the teenage greeter at the door. They were exchanging conversations and I heard the douche bag with the mask say he freaked out some kids in one of the isles while chasing them.

We were heading out to the store foyer to return a Redbox movie when all of this was taking place. After returning the movie we went back inside to go to the other entrance where we were parked, because it was cold out.

On the way to the other door I saw a lady with a radio. I pointed out the DB with the mask talking to the greeter, he saw in plain sight to both of us. I told her I heard him tell the greeter he was chasing people in the store. I told her if he came running at me I was gonna knock him out. She said I had every right to defend myself. I liked her already.

She acted like she didn't believe me and thought the greeter was handling it. She then said "No he is telling him to leave". About that time the Douche Bag and the greeter gave each other the homie hug and the Douche Bag headeded back into the store. The lady took off towards them like a beagle chasing a rabbit.

I left the store after that and got in my vehicle. My wife and I drove down to the other entrance to see if we could see anything, but saw nothing.

I'm planning to call the store to speak to a manager today about what happened. It's probably a waste of time but we have to do our part or we are part of the problem.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    On High School Road?
    Lafayette Road at Tibbs Avenue. There's a Family Dollar there and some other shops. When I moved to Indianapolis in the late 1970's, there was a dance club known as Piccadilly's (aka Pick-a-Disease) at the north end. After Lafayette Square was built, Eagledale went into a noticeable decline.

When I was a young fella, when my family went to Indianapolis, Lafayette Square was almost always our primary destination. We'd spend entire Saturdays or Sundays there. I always through the wires with the oil drops sliding down them were really cool.
    Same here. We'd drive down from Frankfort and I-65 stopped at Lafayette Road. It was perfect for going to Lafayette Square.

Google Maps still says there are shops in Lafayette Square. I thought Burlington Coat Factory was about the only store still there. All the other big stores are gone. I haven't been inside that building for years. Bought a lot of tools at the Sears store, but it's long gone.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Lafayette Road at Tibbs Avenue. There's a Family Dollar there and some other shops. When I moved to Indianapolis in the late 1970's, there was a dance club known as Piccadilly's (aka Pick-a-Disease) at the north end. After Lafayette Square was built, Eagledale went into a noticeable decline.

The Sakitumi lounge/liquor store there now is a bit of a PITA.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That is the WORST Walmart. Mrs. Stix and myself avoid that place, even though it is the closest one to us. We prefer the one on County Line, opposed to CR 6.
    Although, we would rather go to Meijer most of the time.

I contacted the store and I pretty much called it. The Produce Manager that I spoke with was useless. The store Mgr was not there, big shocker there!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Are the Parents still in legal charge of these "Youths"???

Years ago (25 or so), when my Wife, and I had young teenagers (Four of them) in our house, WE as PARENTS could/would be charged for any damages, or miss behavior of our children.

I really believe that if the Parent/Parents would be charged, say $1000.00 or 10 days in jail (Their choice) for each occurrence of complete legal miss behavior of their legally related "Children", then a large amount of this trouble would be stopped.

This system of " Lets gather together on some PRIVATE Property and raise Hell " has to be STOPPED.

I really believe that SOMEONE?? should be responsible for the actions of these troublemakers.

Just turning them out, to the bus stops, to go across, up, or downtown to raise cane is not working...Bill.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Years ago (25 or so), when my Wife, and I had young teenagers (Four of them) in our house, WE as PARENTS could/would be charged for any damages, or miss behavior of our children.

I really believe that if the Parent/Parents would be charged, say $1000.00 or 10 days in jail (Their choice) for each occurrence of complete legal miss behavior of their legally related "Children", then a large amount of this trouble would be stopped.

This system of " Lets gather together on some PRIVATE Property and raise Hell " has to be STOPPED.

I really believe that SOMEONE?? should be responsible for the actions of these troublemakers.

Just turning them out, to the bus stops, to go across, up, or downtown to raise cane is not working...Bill.

You have to remember Bill that most if not all of the Parents of YUT's are either afraid of or don't want their kids around home.
    If Parents have already lost control of little Johnny or Susie by the time they can ride the bus to the mall its too late.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

The police and mall security/management are already being questioned about why they didn't prevent the unruly behavior before it started.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    This is a true fact...

You have to remember Bill that most if not all of the Parents of YUT's are either afraid of or don't want their kids around home.
    If Parents have already lost control of little Johnny or Susie by the time they can ride the bus to the mall its too late.

You are correct Glue....So this problem becomes OUR Problem???

I understand that it is hard to "Jail them all", but the Public at Large should not to be held hostage to this behavior...Bill.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You are correct Glue....So this problem becomes OUR Problem???

I understand that it is hard to "Jail them all", but the Public at Large should not to be held hostage to this behavior...Bill.

Well it kind of already is our problem, but shouldn't be. Yes Jail them all, and make them pay a fine. If they or their parents don't pay then let them pick up trash in an orange jumpsuit.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Well it kind of already is our problem, but shouldn't be. Yes Jail them all, and make them pay a fine. If they or their parents don't pay then let them pick up trash in an orange jumpsuit.

We are on the same mind set there..The only "Orange Jumpsuit" problem would be is that it would not agree with the current "Yellow Jumpsuit" State/County workers that are now getting a check/paying taxes to do this trash job??...Bill.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    We are on the same mind set there..The only "Orange Jumpsuit" problem would be is that it would not agree with the current "Yellow Jumpsuit" State/County workers that are now getting a check/paying taxes to do this trash job??...Bill.

Somebody will need to supervise the little tyrants. "Hey you missed one over there, pick up the pace a little"

Top Bottom