• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Currently saving up for my next firearm purchase. It'll be awhile, but I like to start doing my research early.

I'm looking for a budget 9mm handgun. Not compact, full size. I don't honestly even know where to start, I've never owned a handgun before. This gun will be primarily used as a target gun, something to shoot for fun on Sundays with my step-father. It will, however, be a home defense weapon until I can find something better. I don't care how it looks, only care about functionality. I don't have any brand experience, so I don't really know where to begin.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Edit: My budget will probably be around 350 dollars.

Last edited:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    s&w 5906,
    DSCN0660.jpg
    you pick one up for around 300 even. and the are rock solid reliable. heavy to absorb recoil, makes them pleasent to shoot.
    next would be the ruger p95, just as cheap and reliable as the 5906, wieghs the same to.
    side note, they use the same holster.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, we need figures for your budget. The ultimate dirt-cheap handgun in 9mm will be the HiPoint C9, but your idea of "budget" might not be the same as ours. If you're willing to step up into the $300 to $400 range, you can find a wealth of used handguns in all sorts of different makes and models.

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    Almost any gun will be fine for SD. I think you should try and make it better to shoot at the range. If you enjoy shooting at the range it will make you better when you really need it. Taurus or a smith n wes Sigma series should get you in the door.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    My budget, will probably be around 300-350 dollars, although I'm willing to step into the 400 dollar range if it's a good deal.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Keep Working on saving you pennies and you can watch the classifieds on here for a used springfield xd or glock (which ever you prefer) in order to get a feel for any potiental pistol you may buy i would go to the local gun shop and hold different pistols and see which one you like the feel of the most and which is most comfortable to you. Keep in mind that the new prices will be substanitally higher than a used price more often than not.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    IBT "if you don't spend $600 on a firearm then you don't love your family" BS.
    You can go on Gunbroker and buy a Luger M80 for about $250. These are an exact clone of the Browning Hi Power, one of the finest handguns ever made. When you get it, disconnect the mag safety. You will then have a fantastic shooter, single action only, decent magazine capacity (13+1) and some money left over for ammo.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I picked up my smith model 99 for 300.00 in like new condition and have a chance to buy a ruger p95 for even less. Both are great shooting guns. If you shop around good used guns can be had for less money than some new cheap models.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    IBT "if you don't spend $600 on a firearm then you don't love your family" BS.
    You can go on Gunbroker and buy a Luger M80 for about $250. These are an exact clone of the Browning Hi Power, one of the finest handguns ever made. When you get it, disconnect the mag safety. You will then have a fantastic shooter, single action only, decent magazine capacity (13+1) and some money left over for ammo.

^^^^^
    This is excellent advice. :yesway:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ruger P95 is right in your price range.

Hard to beat for the price, unless you buy used.

Rock solid, goes bang every time, and is certainly full size.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably try to get something used, that Luger m80 looks mighty fine. I've still got several months before the fund reaches completion, but I'll continue to shop around. My real concern is that it goes bang every time.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    As suggested earlier i would say a Hipoint C9 you can get it for about $150, however for about $300 you can get alot better choices.

Top Bottom