• ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Interesting answers so far-- thanks!

That's too bad, as I was hoping you'd bring your Saiga 12 perspective. ;)

(and FTR, I've just gotta find time to get downtown and get the ball rolling!)

At first glance it looks like it could be a contender. Is there any known way to shorten the LOP? How long is that barrel? Magazine capacity?

Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of Saiga-pattern shotguns versus the more traditional style in regards to fighting with them?

You will be amazed at how soft it shoots, even with hotter 00 buck. I shot it back to back with an 870, same ammo, and was stunned at the difference.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you, the reader, were going to build me a semi-auto shotgun for the purposes of self- and home-defense, what model and accessories would you pick?
    I would fixate on my choice of gun, not the crap you will hang on it. ANYTHING can be hung on ANY gun, that is a fact so it is a non-factor. Budget, application and skills will drive those choices later.

If you asked me to do it for you, no questions asked, me spending your money I would find a used Benelli M1 with 18" or 20". Rear sight on the barrel NOT on the receiver. (second choice would be used Beretta 1201 FP). Both of these guns will often be in the $550 range, both can be found with a clean receiver, no sights mounted on them.

Put it in your closet, knowing in 3 years you can sell it (and probably break even) to get needed cash to finish your SBR.

Buy new, Benelli M2 or M2 American. It is an improved M1. Then I would probably look at Beretta, Winchester, Remington or Mossberg.............probably in that order with Remington and Mossberg tied, but I know my preferences in a shotgun, you don't.

X factor guns are the Saiga, I admit I sold all of mine, and the Weatherby SA-08. A Saiga with 18" barrel and 20 round drum is a well balanced unit of mass destruction for defense. If a drum comes out for the 20 I will find myself wishing I had kept one of the $150 versions I bought in 2000.

20 gauge, buy an M2 American. I think this gun will be discontinued just like its predecessor , the M1 hi cap field gun made years ago for a short time. It usually goes on sale at Dick's around Halloween for $799 new, price is for both 20 and 12 gauge. It is a field gun configuration, but at the price who cares and in my case I use guns in the field as well. Oddly you will find no mention of the 20 gauge on the Benelli web site but it does exist. Unless they discontinued it already? I hope not, I want a few more of those 20's

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    If you wanted to go all out, I would say the Benelli M4....
    m4-pistolgrip-large.jpg

The Benelli M1/M2 / Remington 1100 would all get the job done, at much lower cost...

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    My biggest complaint with Remingtons are they Start rusting the Minute the are put in the Box at the Factory... :D

If that ain't the truth idk what is, I owned an 870 for a couple weeks and I'd rather have my mossberg 500 any day of the week over the rusty rem

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    At first glance it looks like it could be a contender. Is there any known way to shorten the LOP? How long is that barrel? Magazine capacity?

Another +1 for the Benelli M1 Super 90. There are instructions on shortening the LOP, it didn't look too hard, just be careful that you don't cut too much at once. The barrel is 18.5" and the older M1S90 can be ghost-loaded for a 7+1+1 capacity.

I would also suggest getting the Esstac Shotgun Card that holds 7 shells. You can attach them to the receiver using industrial strength velcro found at Walmart. These fit in AR15 mag pouches (one-for-one), so if you throw two together back to back they will fit into a double-mag pouch.

However, it doesn't come with a rail mounted on it, and it's not drilled and tapped for it. It can be done, but I've heard that it is better left for a gunsmith since the metal on the top of the receiver is thin. I haven't had it done that yet since the GRS are fantastic on it.

Good luck with your search!

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    DO not run a mesa sidesaddle i see them break in every class and have broken 3 of them myself the pins shear off leaving you with nothing

get the 3 gun gear velcro models

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of Saiga-pattern shotguns versus the more traditional style in regards to fighting with them?

Yes. Don't take a shotgun class with a Saiga-12, as they are pretty much all are designed around conventional tube-feeders in terms of manipulations (save for Suarez, who IIRC offers a specific Saiga class). A Saiga-12 is properly run like the overgrown AK that it is. Forget "select slug," "load one/shoot one," "emergency reload," "ghost loading," "cruiser ready" and all that stuff. The answer to everything in a Saiga-12 is "change magazines". :) And the magazine is the Saiga-12's biggest strength, and it's biggest weakness. The Saiga mag can hold a lot of rounds, capacity can be increased without regard to barrel length, the mag places the weight closer to the center of gravity than a tube mag, and it can be reloaded faster (absent competition-style speed loaders). But the mags are physically large, and can be cumbersome to carry and manipulate.

Hook us up with some range time, and I'll let you run my Saigas all you want.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    But the mags are physically large, and can be cumbersome to carry and manipulate.
    In an HD situation, it is much easier to toss a few shells in your underwear then a 10 round mag. Nobody teaches that trick in any class.........probably for good reason.

The drill of switching loads from buck to slug in a typical home HD event is probably mute since only an idiot will charge a shotgun throwing buck down the hallway.

If you have a Muslim sounding name, dark facial hair and use a Saiga in a lethal HD situation, a sympatheitc jury may be hard to come by. If your name is Dick Johnson and you look Nordic, go for it!

Living in an SBS friedly state, I feel strongly drawn to one now.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IMAG0274.jpg

Saiga 12 gets my vote. I'm a big fan of tactical shotguns, and the Saiga is in a class above the competition. Recoil is very light, weight is nicely centered on the gun, and the ergonomics are great. If you ever want to play with mine, your more than welcome to it. Mines wearing a Chaos rail, HK style sights, MD Arms Gas Plug, Magpul CTR on a CAA extension, Surefire M600 Scout light, wrapped in XTM panels and an AFG. I have 2 MD Arms drums, and 5 AGP 10 round stick mags. I did the conversion myself with a Tromix DIY kit, and polished the internals.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Benelli's are nice, I still use a HK/Benelli 121Mfor both HD/SD as well as shotgun ans multi-gun competitions. However I also have a Remington 1100 that is I prefer for anything involving clay targets and competitions with high target counts. My 1100 exceeds you barrel length requirement by a good bit bit one could be done with a 18 inch barrel and 2 shot mag extension.

1100a-1.jpg

Remington 1100
    Speedfeed stock holds 4 rounds on the stock
    Choate magazine extension.
    picanny rail magazine tube clamp for light
    Burris Speed Bead red dot

montage-speedbead-burris_1.jpg

I would ask why the short barrel? Why limit your possible mag capacity by using an 18 inch barrel, not to mention they don't swing nearly as smoothly.

Top Bottom