• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO...I am in the process of filing all of paperwork with the CMP...but this has me thinking.

Where can I buy one locally?...what kind of price could I expect?

How about an IHC garand...anyone ever see them for sale.....and no....Im not going to succumb to the blood-suckers on gunbroker because IM not that stupid.

God bless
    -Shred

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You just missed a batch of IHC rifles at the CMP, but I believe they are going to have another batch coming up. Once you get signed up with them, you can subscribe to their emails and keep up with their latest offerings. As for buying local, I think it's catch as catch can. CMP is the best way to go IMHO, mainly because when I have seen them for sale by private individuals, the prices tend to be higher, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Agreed. The CMP is the best bet. A trip to the North Store in Port Clinton, OH or the South Store at Anniston, AL is a thrilling experience. Right now, there's a bit of a back log for a mail order rifle.

Don't procrastinate though...rumor has it the CMP only has a couple of years worth of M1s in the pipeline.

IHCs, Winchesters and WWII era Springfields fetch a premium. If you're looking for a shooter, consider a post war Springfield or a HRA.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I've been debating CMP vs local, myself. Think I'll probably go CMP. Gives me a reason to trek over to Camp Perry.
    You wont regret the trip. I went last year in early July and came back with a complete rifle that had a 1945 Springfield receiver, 1949 winchester barrel and IHC trigger housing. Around $550 is what it cost me. As soon as the store gets some decent stock in I might make another trip especially for stripper receivers and other parts to build one in .308.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You wont regret the trip. I went last year in early July and came back with a complete rifle that had a 1945 Springfield receiver, 1949 winchester barrel and IHC trigger housing. Around $550 is what it cost me. As soon as the store gets some decent stock in I might make another trip especially for stripper receivers and other parts to build one in .308.

^^^^^^^ What remauto1187 said^^^^^^^ I have been three times and you WILL NOT find nicer TRAINED Garand people who will assist you in picking out a Garand for yourself. They will break that rifle down like a fraction for you and explain everything and gauge the muzzle and throat erosion for you. They will not lie to you in order to make a sale because aside from them seeing you satisfied... they gain nothing from a sale of a rifle or parts or ammo. Just some FYI, if you are a LEO, Military reserve or active duty member, or retired from any of the afore mentioned your ID qualify's you to buy a rifle and ammo VS joining a club or association(been there done that USAF retired).If you really want to see a sight? Go during the Garand and Carbine matches (usually in August... the CMP site can give the info). Between the Garand & carbine matches and vendors row it will blow your mind. I say go and go soon.:rockwoot:

Garander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Lafayette/Huntington
    I got mine at the CMP, I just drove to the store up in Ohio and picked out my own, it was a fun trip and really awesome to see all those Garands in one spot. They are by far the cheapest, you could probably expect to pay not quite double the price from a gun shop.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Is it easier to go to the store than online? I remember seeing about being a Vet and not having to join a club or something? Seems the mail order would be harder.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Either way is fine. Pick it up in Ohio pay Ohio sales tax and gas but you get to hold it before you buy it. Ship it and you pay shipping to your door and they choose for you.

If you drive up go to the jolly Rodger for a good fresh caught fish meal.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Welp....I bit the bullet and ordered a CMP "special" grade in 308.....it was easy to do with used non CMP CAI imports running $900....Plus I get a gun that is darn near brand new and i dont have to worry about shooting a collector.

The wife is still going to be mad that I spent a grand on the gun...but she did say "get whatever you want"...haha.

Mailed it all today....now I get to wait. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it....its like waiting for Christmas now....just gotta get me some brass and start loading.

God bless
    -Shred

Ps: ...she said "no more guns after this"....we'll see about that.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    You made a good call. The CMP Garands are well worth the wait and are not going to be around too much longer. The Special grade is like getting a new rifle, but you still get mostly USGI parts.
    Here is my 1943 Springfield Special received 3 years back, rubbed the walnut down with raw linseed oil and it has slightly darkened since.
    attachment.php

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    BTW..... the wife may have not realized the illness that soon comes with the purchase of a US Rifle Cal 30 M1. It is commonly known as "Garanditis"........ symptoms are generally seen when one buys another M1, then another.... and so on.
    I just couldn't pass up the latest CMP release of some IHC rifles.... Happy to report it arrived a few weeks ago

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Welp....I bit the bullet and ordered a CMP "special" grade in 308.....it was easy to do with used non CMP CAI imports running $900....Plus I get a gun that is darn near brand new and i dont have to worry about shooting a collector.

The wife is still going to be mad that I spent a grand on the gun...but she did say "get whatever you want"...haha.

Mailed it all today....now I get to wait. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it....its like waiting for Christmas now....just gotta get me some brass and start loading.

God bless
    -Shred

Ps: ...she said "no more guns after this"....we'll see about that.

Nice! I'd like to have one in 308 too, just because the ammo is a little cheaper. CMP raised their price on the surplus Greek 30-06, but it's still the most reasonable that I've found, and I can reload it too.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    If you were to get just one of the CMP "Special"'s (yeah... I know, hard to stop at just one :rolleyes: ), would you get the .308 or the .30-06, and why?

Top Bottom