• ...and so much more!
  • mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    Now that in-stock revolvers at less than MSRP are nothing more than a distant memory, it's time for a question: What is YOUR new production pick for a .357 that will last for life and do just about everything you could want a .357 to do? That means high long term reliability, not picky with ammo, and of a reasonable barrel length that won't have women asking if that's a Python in your pocket or you're just happy to see them.

I kinda lean toward the Ruger GP100 3". I like the chunky overbuilt nature of them, the rubber and wood grips look really neat, and the 3" trims a bit of carry length and weight. What do you think?
    I loved my Match Champion 4". Could kick myself for unloading that one. But.... I replaced it with a 686 SSR so it's all good. I'll most likely keep it. I have a 640 Pro Series that would be hard to let go as well.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Ive seen screwed up Colts, Smiths and even Rugers. Anything can fail. Or have manufacturing defects.

Ruger castings mean bulk. For a carry rig thats added nonsense IMHO.

The grip angles dont work for me either.

But, if they work where others dont, I can see that being the deciding factor.
    But Ruger`s customer service will make their firearms right. No one has better customer service. Period.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I have both a GP100 and a SP101(5718.) If I had to lose one, it would be the SP101. The GP100 has been in my care for about 20 years. It is a 4" with low-pro fixed sights and came factory with the smaller grip. I purchased the large rubber/wood-insert grip as well. It is a versatile, buy it for life, hunkuva gun.

On the continuing buy list is a .357, 8-round 4.2" Redhawk (5059) and the 3", 357 Speed Six (GS33PS) that were special order for the Postal Service Inspectors. I knew someone with one and have been on the lookout for one at a non-collector price for years.

Lots of great S&W out there too.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    A 3" on a carry piece seems optimal to me.

Agreed. Longer barrels work ok for a duty holster or a woods gun, but for a belt gun that you're going to conceal and wear out in the real world, a 3" is pretty much the sweet spot. It won't dig into the seat when you sit down, or stick out from under a cover garment, but gives you a little more sight radius and less muzzle blast than a 2" snubby.

Top Bottom