• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Taurus 692 line of revolvers. I have 586's / 686's, but the factory porting on the 6.5" 692 makes it more pleasant to shoot (with aftermarket grips.) Also, with the 692, I can shoot 9mm or 380 if I get the urge. Seems like four calibers in one is noteworthy. Cylinders swap without tools in less than 10 seconds, and it's an accurate pistol to boot.

Caliber versatility is a key with me, that's why I also love my Smith 610-3.

Also, before the mudslinging begins: To everyone that poo-poo's Taurus revolvers, I have four new-style wheelguns - 692, 992, 627 and a 441, and they all function 100%. Again, just worth noting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was at Sand Burr right before Yoda (denny Reichert) passed and he advised that the new Smith M66 were the bees knees of .357 4" revolvers. He was very impressed and enthused about them, even giving them the treatment. I regret not buying one from him on the spot.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Yes it certainly is, but not by enough to really matter much in a practical sense. If bulk is a concern with a GP100, I wouldn't go out and buy a K-Frame of the same barrel length...it won't solve your problem. I'd be looking at an SP101 or a J-Frame if I needed something smaller.

I am looking for some different grips for the 66. I'd love to find some wood target grips, but being a round butt makes that a little harder. Factory ones are discontinued and unobtainable, and insanely expensive if you can find them. Altamont makes conversion grips, but they're out of stock right now on the ones I want, and the last set I bought from them, while very well made, were too blocky for my liking and I had to spend a bunch of time re-contouring them, and then refinish them. I'm tempted to ask them if they'd sell me a set of unfinished machined panels so I can do the final fitting myself.

It is possible my GP100 was resprung before I owned it, but if it was it was done right. I've never had any light strikes or other reliability issues with that gun. I've found that a simple polish of the mainspring strut will usually smooth up any roughness in a Ruger trigger...and it's very safe and simple to do, without having to worry about messing up any sear/hammer/trigger engagement surfaces. Smiths are a little more involved.

I agree, they're both great guns, and that as a general rule my NIB Smiths have been a little smoother than my NIB Rugers. But the potential exists in the Ruger design to produce a very smooth action.
    There are some on the GBroker. Not sure what insanely expensive is to you but they would be dear to me. Hope that helps.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    There are some on the GBroker. Not sure what insanely expensive is to you but they would be dear to me. Hope that helps.
    I found some knockoffs from Thailand on eBay for $50 that look good and got decent reviews. They are exact copies of the old checkered S&W target grips, which is more in line with what I want than most of the other offerings out there. I decided to give them a shot...we'll see if that was a good decision or not in about a month when they get here.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I was at Sand Burr right before Yoda (denny Reichert) passed and he advised that the new Smith M66 were the bees knees of .357 4" revolvers. He was very impressed and enthused about them, even giving them the treatment. I regret not buying one from him on the spot.
    Was he referring to the new 66 with the 2 piece sleeved barrel and the detent lockup on the crane? If so, I have a 2 3/4" Model 69 in that style, and while it might offend the sensibilities of some of the revolver purists, it's truly an excellent gun!

Iirc it's actually an L-Frame instead of a K-Frame, but that allows for a full forcing cone without the flat on the bottom that the older K-Frames were notorious for cracking. The detent engaging the crane instead of the top of the ejector rod makes for very solid lockup, and the trigger on my 69 is truly excellent.

Yeah, it's got that goofy looking 2 piece barrel, MIM parts, and the stupid lock...but the darn thing will shoot, and it handles .44 Mag with aplomb!

Screenshot_20211227-202744.png

I've heard a lot of great stories about Denny and have gotten the chance to shoot some of the guns that he worked on...I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him in person.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Nothing wrong with smiths or colts, but for the money a 4 inch GP100 is what works for me. Deer legal and does it all.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Was wanting a medium frame 357 revolver last summer for multi purpose use and for IDPA. Have owned many prelock S&W k frames over the years and a few L & N frame both prelock and newer production, but was currently without a suitable 38/357 magnum. Started searching locally and missed out on a great 686 no dash when I saw the price tag. Kept looking and found a 1978 Ruger Security Six stainless 4". I did not hesitate. After some trigger and action work, this revolver is a time machine. I don't see anything in the current revolver counters that suggest they might be a better choice.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Brought two 357’s home this week with me. To nasty out for much shooting but a couple cylinders thru each…. Left with a smile. A no lock Smith 649 Bodyguard snub nose and a brand spanking new Smith PC 19 Comp Carry…. Both shot impeccably!!! The 649 is a handful but what’s not to love about a coat pocket full of hand howitzer!!

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If I had to pick one do it all built for life revolver in 357 magnum it would be a Ruger GP 100 stainless 4" barrel. Built like a tank.

View attachment 138104
    I`m torn between the Ruger GP-100 or the Colt Python. The GP-100 is beautiful, but there`s something about the Coly Python that is breathtakingly gorgeous. Of course, the price factor enters in...

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I`m torn between the Ruger GP-100 or the Colt Python. The GP-100 is beautiful, but there`s something about the Coly Python that is breathtakingly gorgeous. Of course, the price factor enters in...
    No doubt about that. I picked the GP100 because of the way its built. It does have a rugged look to it. I can't say it's beautiful like a Colt Python though.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    No doubt about that. I picked the GP100 because of the way its built. It does have a rugged look to it. I can't say it's beautiful like a Colt Python though.
    Question for you. I have a 2 1/4" Ruger SP-101, and long for a 4.2" Ruger GP-100. Are these two revolvers built well enough and are they stout enough to hold up to a lifetime of use, especially with full .357 Magnum loads?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yep I've been waiting for that exact model for a long time now. It's been elusive. I may just have to buy it online because the local gun shops haven't gotten one in.

As to built for a lifetime I think they are. There might be a lemon here or there, but that's why I try to put at least 2k rds through any new firearm within the first year of ownership to see if it needs a trip to the factory to be repaired. I figure if it's going to fail it should or show signs within the first 2,000rds.
    I'm not a super knowledgeable revolver guy. I'm sure someone can answer you with more of a knowledgeable answer than I can about them.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yep I've been waiting for that exact model for a long time now. It's been elusive. I may just have to buy it online because the local gun shops haven't gotten one in.

As to built for a lifetime I think they are. There might be a lemon here or there, but that's why I try to put at least 2k rds through any new firearm within the first year of ownership to see if it needs a trip to the factory to be repaired. I figure if it's going to fail it should or show signs within the first 2,000rds.
    I'm not a super knowledgeable revolver guy. I'm sure someone can answer you with more of a knowledgeable answer than I can about them.
    I`ve had issues with two Ruger firearms I`ve had. In each instance, the Ruger customer service was superlative! They went WELL above and beyond in EVERY facet of their response to my issues. I will never be able to say enough about how wonderful they are. So with your buy-in, plus, knowing how substantive their customer service is, I`m sold.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I`ve had issues with two Ruger firearms I`ve had. In each instance, the Ruger customer service was superlative! They went WELL above and beyond in EVERY facet of their response to my issues. I will never be able to say enough about how wonderful they are. So with your buy-in, plus, knowing how substantive their customer service is, I`m sold.
    I only had one that needed sent in. The Ruger American barrel recall. They could have just sent the new barrel, but the older barrel was cracking the slide iirc. So they wanted to inspect the pistol and replace the barrel. They sent me the box, I shipped it to them and they had it back to me in 7 days. Not business days, but 7 days from my door to them and back. All the way out to Arizona.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I only had one that needed sent in. The Ruger American barrel recall. They could have just sent the new barrel, but the older barrel was cracking the slide iirc. So they wanted to inspect the pistol and replace the barrel. They sent me the box, I shipped it to them and they had it back to me in 7 days. Not business days, but 7 days from my door to them and back. All the way out to Arizona.
    I had this Ruger SP-101, and bought it new then stowed it in the gun safe and didn`t fire it for 2/3 years. When my son and I took it out shooting, the brass was sticking in the cylinder and wouldn`t eject after firing, i had to pry it out. I contacted them and they paid for shipping both ways, even though it wasn`t technically "new", and fixed the problem. Even sent it back in a brand new plastic Ruger case.
    Second problem was with a Ruger .30-06 bolt-action rifle. It wasn`t grouping well. I sent it to them on my dime, but they tightened the action screws to factory specs, polished the crown, tightened and anchored one of the sling swivels, and a couple other things I can`t recall. Then sent it back to me on their dime.
    I`ve never dealt with a company that backs their product so passionately and completely, and I`ll forever be a Ruger fan and customer.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I think this is the holster I`d want for the Ruger 4.2" GP-100. I have this same holster for my Ruger SP-101 2 1/4" and my Glock 30.

Top Bottom