• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think this is the holster I`d want for the Ruger 4.2" GP-100. I have this same holster for my Ruger SP-101 2 1/4" and my Glock 30.

I really like 1791 holsters this would probably be the one I get once I actually find one.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I really like 1791 holsters this would probably be the one I get once I actually find one.

Check Ebay, and expand your search beyond your specific gun model. I got the non-thumb-break version of that same holster for $20 a couple of weeks ago on there, in like-new condition. The seller had it listed for a Taurus, but it's the K-Frame holster. It fits my 66, 69, and Speed-Six just fine. The GP100 fits, too, but it's a little tight due to the full underlug.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Go big or go home, last year I bought a pair of 6.5" 454 Casull Raging Bulls new in stainless that will run 45 Long colt for $450ea NIB. They had shorter but 6.5" is perfect for dual shoulder holsters & bear. Here's a 22 year old Gun Test article, funny as it can be. They are ported, back bored but their double lock is the key. They are dbl/sng action & havent changed a thing since this 22 year old article. now you can get way hotter ammo 2100fps & 2100 ft pds. https://www.gun-tests.com/handguns/...too-much-power-too-little-real-world-utility/ Since then I bought the stainless Rossi lever carbine for $600 & will never sell any of the 3 as I can get mild or wild 45LC or mild or wild 454 Casull.
    Mild or Wild .45 Colt...have you checked out Littestone's Ammo?
    They sell a little bit of both in .45 Colt...

I also like some of Buffalo Bore's options in the .45 Colt line...

Last edited:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Brought two 357’s home this week with me. To nasty out for much shooting but a couple cylinders thru each…. Left with a smile. A no lock Smith 649 Bodyguard snub nose and a brand spanking new Smith PC 19 Comp Carry…. Both shot impeccably!!! The 649 is a handful but what’s not to love about a coat pocket full of hand howitzer!!
    I have been on the lookout for a 649 no lock. Great find.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I lean more to the Ruger Redhawk 8-shot snubby.

I will own at some point a Ruger Match Champion but not yet.

The action on my Redhawk hasn't been "worked" but is very very smooth with lot'sa dry fire.

It is so good that I can time the cylinder moving to the next round and still fire it in Double action.

It is a great piece of iron....

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Question for you. I have a 2 1/4" Ruger SP-101, and long for a 4.2" Ruger GP-100. Are these two revolvers built well enough and are they stout enough to hold up to a lifetime of use, especially with full .357 Magnum loads?
    I've owned both and would trust them to a regular diet of .357 fodder with no problem. Especially the GP 100.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I lean more to the Ruger Redhawk 8-shot snubby.

I will own at some point a Ruger Match Champion but not yet.

The action on my Redhawk hasn't been "worked" but is very very smooth with lot'sa dry fire.

It is so good that I can time the cylinder moving to the next round and still fire it in Double action.

It is a great piece of iron....
    8 shot? Wow that's getting upto pistol capacity. Do they have Redhawk in 4" 8 shot 357?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I'm having a real hard time wish restraint right now on this one.

271867563_973550676899531_2125061010882482301_n.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Check Ebay, and expand your search beyond your specific gun model. I got the non-thumb-break version of that same holster for $20 a couple of weeks ago on there, in like-new condition. The seller had it listed for a Taurus, but it's the K-Frame holster. It fits my 66, 69, and Speed-Six just fine. The GP100 fits, too, but it's a little tight due to the full underlug.

Quick update on the 1791 revolver holster. I took it out to the range the other day along with a number of different revolvers. It was a great day of shooting, but I have to say that this holster design leaves quite a bit to be desired. It holds the gun just fine, but it quickly gets painful. It's very thick, and the portion of the belt loops between my belt and my hip dig into my hip something fierce. I got a bruise from just a couple of hours of wearing and drawing from it. I have a 1791 1911 holster as well, and that one doesn't do this...possibly because it's wider and contours better to my waistline.

The DeSantis thumb scabbard that I bought for my Model 69 is a bit more pliable and far more comfortable...but it's for a 3" barrel, so it won't accommodate the longer guns.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Quick update on the 1791 revolver holster. I took it out to the range the other day along with a number of different revolvers. It was a great day of shooting, but I have to say that this holster design leaves quite a bit to be desired. It holds the gun just fine, but it quickly gets painful. It's very thick, and the portion of the belt loops between my belt and my hip dig into my hip something fierce. I got a bruise from just a couple of hours of wearing and drawing from it. I have a 1791 1911 holster as well, and that one doesn't do this...possibly because it's wider and contours better to my waistline.

The DeSantis thumb scabbard that I bought for my Model 69 is a bit more pliable and far more comfortable...but it's for a 3" barrel, so it won't accommodate the longer guns.
    I'd contact them about it. I'm sure they will make it right. They have excellent customer service.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'd contact them about it. I'm sure they will make it right. They have excellent customer service.
    There's not really anything to make right...the holster itself is fine, and well constructed. It's just the design isn't very comfortable for carrying around a heavy revolver, or repeated draw strokes. I'm not really sure what they could change to correct it without re-designing the whole thing. It might work fine as-is for somebody with a little more "padding", but my bony hips were not a good fit.

Top Bottom