• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I tried looking for a previous thread about this, but couldn't seem to find one. I don't know if anyone has heard of this or not, but I have heard rumors that at a gunshow you dont have to be 21 to buy a handgun in certain situations. I am starting up my collection and sadly I am not 21 yet, so I don't have the pleasure of being able to go out to the local shop and buy, or even handle anything I'd like to possibly purchase. Is this rumor true, or is it a bunch of bs?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I can sell you one of mine with no paper work. I am not a dealer and there are a lot of private sells that goes on at the show.

I would guess that more private sells go on here at INGO than what happens at the 1500.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I don't know exactly what I want yet. But is it bad to buy one without paperwork, just for the fact that your not sure the history of the gun. What about buying brand new guns at a show? I'm guessing most people that have NIB's are licensed dealers and would do paperwork right?

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    This is just my opinion, but I find it pretty rediculous that if you have your LTCH and a valid photo ID that you cant go into a local store and handle them at the counter under the supervision of a employee. For example at Cabelas or something. Especially when I go to the counter to look at them, and I am clearly carrying at the time haha. Thats just my opinion though =/

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't know exactly what I want yet. But is it bad to buy one without paperwork, just for the fact that your not sure the history of the gun. What about buying brand new guns at a show? I'm guessing most people that have NIB's are licensed dealers and would do paperwork right?

Find someone to tag along with, or demand before the sale that you have a 3rd party check it out. LIKE THE INGO BOTH or any number of our site advertisers. There will be several folks there. I bet someone would be willing to hang out with you one day and talk to you about pro and cons of each make and model. (I will be there most of Sat) But if you hang with me you will prob end up buying a Glock :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Take the "gun show" out of the question. It's irrelevant and it's a red herring. In Indiana, you can legally purchase a handgun in a face-to-face transaction from someone who is not a dealer at the age of 18. From a dealer, you must be 21 (per Federal law).

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    This is just my opinion, but I find it pretty rediculous that if you have your LTCH and a valid photo ID that you cant go into a local store and handle them at the counter under the supervision of a employee. For example at Cabelas or something. Especially when I go to the counter to look at them, and I am clearly carrying at the time haha. Thats just my opinion though =/

What messed that up was the poor record reporting to the State police for the new felons from the courts.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

i personaly believe its always a GREAT thing to do a gun sale without having to give the government your info, like you do at a dealer.

you can still do a bill of sale. but it still wont 100% guarentee you are not buying a stolen gun. i try not to buy from people that seem shady, but still, mother theressa could sell you a stolen gun, you just never know. most police wont run the serial number unless the gun is in their possession (you take it to them) and guess what they d if its stolen??? they keep it (so you are out your money) and some might even arrest you for being in possetion of stolen property, even if you didnt know. just be carefull is all i can recomend.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Find someone to tag along with, or demand before the sale that you have a 3rd party check it out. LIKE THE INGO BOTH or any number of our site advertisers. There will be several folks there. I bet someone would be willing to hang out with you one day and talk to you about pro and cons of each make and model. (I will be there most of Sat) But if you hang with me you will prob end up buying a Glock :D

I need to look for you Saturday then. I need a reason to buy another Glock....

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    i personaly believe its always a GREAT thing to do a gun sale without having to give the government your info, like you do at a dealer.

you can still do a bill of sale. but it still wont 100% guarentee you are not buying a stolen gun. i try not to buy from people that seem shady, but still, mother theressa could sell you a stolen gun, you just never know. most police wont run the serial number unless the gun is in their possession (you take it to them) and guess what they d if its stolen??? they keep it (so you are out your money) and some might even arrest you for being in possetion of stolen property, even if you didnt know. just be carefull is all i can recomend.

+1 I think its a great thing as well. As of now Everything I own has been from private sales or trade. :rockwoot:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    You still need to be 21 to buy handgun ammunition. But if the sales associate is not too wise and they ask if it is for a handgun or a rifle you could always just say rifle...

Also, I believe, a handgun can be gifted to you be a parent or guardian.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It can be gifted just be careful that it is not an outright straw sale. You and the gun pusher don't want to get involved in a straw sale of a handgun/file or shotgun. Taking a parent, girlfriend or any other person to do the paperwork and pulling out your wallet and paying while they do paperwork is still a no no and being watched much more carefully at gun shows now.

I found a nice used 22 rifle for my dad (he had been looking for a lever action 9422 for some time) and put in on lay away. I told him about it and he was very excited and went to pick it up the next day and pay off the layaway and do the paperwork. The gunshop (And rightly so per the law) would no longer take dad's money to pay off the rifle and do the FFL work with my tag name on the layaway. At one time they had no problem with dad buying me rifles I put on layaway, Or the other way around.

Dad called when he got back home (no cell phone he don't like them.) So i went by the shop did the paperwork and purchased it so he could shoot it that night.

The gun pusher has been in business for years and we used to be able to put it in layaway in one name and pick it up in another, He knows my dad and myself personally and we have bought many items from him in the past together,

Private sales are a totally different subject. But straw sales are not allowed.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yup. A gift* is the only way AFAIK for 18-20yo to get a new handgun.

With very few exceptions only a parent can give a handgun as a gift to a minor. AFAIK there is no restriction on who can gift a handgun to an adult (>18yo).

* a GIFT is something you do not pay someone back for, or trade something for (including your time).

Last edited:

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    how stupid is it that an 18 yr. old can own a handgun but can't buy one? he can also go fight and die for his country but can't buy a handgun from a dealer.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Compare it to buying a used or a new car. You buy new, you know what you are getting, but you are paying more. You buy used, its cheaper but you get all the wear and tear that the previous owner put on it. It helps tremendously to have someone knowledgable look at the gun before you buy it.

50apiguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    Clark County

I agree at 18 you can join the military but cant buy a handgun. Doesnt make much sense to me

Top Bottom