• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    years ago indiana had a law that all hand guns had to be registered with the police... what happened to that law... none of my current weapons are registered...

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    All the guns I own are from private sales also I like the idea of not being on any record that I bought a handgun....government doesn't need to know everything.....

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    A sign at MC Sports clearly states that you must have both your 'permit' and 'drivers license' and the addresses must match on both before they will sell to you. I've heard conflicting info.. So, whats the rule?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    A sign at MC Sports clearly states that you must have both your 'permit' and 'drivers license' and the addresses must match on both before they will sell to you. I've heard conflicting info.. So, whats the rule?

All you need is a state Issued ID with your correct address. But only you know if the address is correct.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Never heard of that, as said all you need is an ID (drivers license) thats the whole point of the phone call.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    This is just my opinion, but I find it pretty rediculous that if you have your LTCH and a valid photo ID that you cant go into a local store and handle them at the counter under the supervision of a employee. For example at Cabelas or something. Especially when I go to the counter to look at them, and I am clearly carrying at the time haha. Thats just my opinion though =/
    I have never heard this either, I have been going into midwest since I could drive and looking at/ holding the guns. when I turned 21 most the guys in the shop probly could have told you which gun I was going to buy, I had had him all picked out.
    I thought you had to be 21 to own one, so I waited. I was in there the morning of my 21st.
    I purchased several long guns between 18 and 21 but I was going in the shops when I was 16, I dont remember haveing any trouble. If it came up I just told them I couldn't wait until I could start my collection.:dunno:
    My beretta is still my favorite handgun.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    What an ATFE agent said

This is almost verbatim from a ATFE agent is Indianapolis. As an individual in Indiana, you can legally sell any of your personal firearms to another citizen of Indiana without filling out a 4473 form and doing the background check that dealers have to. However, you must not sell a handgun to anyone under 21. He interperteded this to mean you must at least check the buyers drivers license to make sure he's 21. Just my :twocents:.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    This is almost verbatim from a ATFE agent is Indianapolis. As an individual in Indiana, you can legally sell any of your personal firearms to another citizen of Indiana without filling out a 4473 form and doing the background check that dealers have to. However, you must not sell a handgun to anyone under 21. He interperteded this to mean you must at least check the buyers drivers license to make sure he's 21. Just my :twocents:.
    And he was wrong, Rick. Kinda like the bad info given by some LEOs about going to the range without your paperwork. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You still need to be 21 to buy handgun ammunition. But if the sales associate is not too wise and they ask if it is for a handgun or a rifle you could always just say rifle...

Also, I believe, a handgun can be gifted to you be a parent or guardian.

I always say it's for a machine gun. They always :n00b: when I tell them that.

That atf agent is interpreting it totally wrong. Know the laws for yourself. Don't rely on the LAW to know the LAWS.

hoagyfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    if your worried about the history you can ask seller to run serials with local police... then you can go to your local sheriff and register it... i wouldnt though...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    if your worried about the history you can ask seller to run serials with local police... then you can go to your local sheriff and register it... i wouldnt though...

The police won't run serial numbers on guns for you in most cases. Also, no sheriff in Indiana has gun registration because there is no gun registration in Indiana.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    The police won't run serial numbers on guns for you in most cases. Also, no sheriff in Indiana has gun registration because there is no gun registration in Indiana.
    My cop, I mean my friend insists that I give him the serial to run if I am buying a used gun. :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I hope this frenzy dies down soon, and no stoopid laws have passed by then; there should be much for sale. I'd like to have [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE]some undocumented pistols like, um... this guy, yeah, this guy I know, has :rolleyes:

If you're old enough to have a LTCH, you're old enough to own a handgun, but your avenues to "legally" obtain them and the ammunition for them are limited.

Even an FFL in IN can't require you to present a LTCH for a purchase. Mere ownership does not require LTCH, just carrying it around in public does.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Nearly three year old thread from the dead!

And still just as silly that at age 18 you can get your carry license, legally carry a handgun, buy one from someone you don't know on the street corner, but not in the safety of a legal FFL.

Top Bottom