Can a person really "have it all" with one pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I think that yes, you can do all, or almost all with one handgun. Those that have mentioned the medium framed .357 magnum have it right. That being said, I still prefer a 1911 to shoot and carry glocks.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Agreed mostly with the CZ comments. I have the P-01, and just love it. I also have the 2014 P-07 model in both 9mm and .40. I could quite easily and happily go down to the P-07 as my only gun if I had to, which is very close in dimensions to the G19/G23. The question would be which caliber... ideally, I'd be able to keep both so I could have ammo flexibility.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For some people on a tight budget or a complete newbie, one gun is what they need. It's better to completely learn and train and become very proficient with one gun than trying to learn a Glock 26 and a 1911 at the same time. It's a better way to start IMHO.

Thankfully, there are a welcome few who frequent this forum who have a clue. Thank you. Yes, one gun can serve quite well.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've been carrying my SR45 for about a month now, and if it had big boobs and a nice butt, I'd divorce my wife and marry it. LOVE that gun! And from what I've read on INGO, 45 acp is a proper bear killer,too. If I've ever had one weapon that could do it all, EDC, HD, and fun at the range, it is the SR45.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I was limited to just one handgun, I would take my Sig M11-A1. There is always a trade off on size and comfort to carry vs. round capacity and shootability.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    ...It's hard to go wrong with a 4 inch Smith in .357 magnum for a "one gun to do most" philosophy

With all do respect to the fanboys, this is the best answer.

Good for hunting, range and self defense.

The versatility of the 38/357 platform is the best choice.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    With all do respect to the fanboys, this is the best answer.

Good for hunting, range and self defense.

The versatility of the 38/357 platform is the best choice.

I agree with this statement if we include hunting or ability to take game as part of criteria. Hunting however is not an activity for which most people are buying pistols.

Personal Protection & Range Use = medium sized service pistols

Hunting, Survival & Range = 4" - 6" 357 revolver

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Good call on the .357 magnum 4 inch as viable option. HOWEVER, "clinton and Wesson" will never find itself in my collection.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Good call on the .357 magnum 4 inch as viable option. HOWEVER, "clinton and Wesson" will never find itself in my collection.

Just like a standard capacity Ruger would only find the way in my collection out of spite of ol Bill

Or a newer Colt would only find its way......wait.....unions ruined Colt

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I get this question a lot too, and if you are trying to do a conceal carry then a full size is hard to do that with but can be fun on the range, Whereas a pocket gun conceals, but not so fun on the range. From a philosophical standpoint I guess a mid sized gun can serve all purposes, but as other people mentioned above, more guns are more fun.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    It's a 4" Smith & Wesson Model 66 in .357. It ain't much good for duck hunting but it works for most of what I require of a carry gun/range gun/hunting revolver.
    MGfh3VAoU4WxMgedeqQG6Dc4HnYl9q02gV3qVGh2D2l-DOagD3HUnQ==.jpg

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    One of the great things about a revolver too is the grips are curved and the butt of the gun does not protrude as much, compared t that of the semi autos. As in Ford Truck's photo, the way you carry can help a lot with how concealed the gun is.

Top Bottom