Can a person really "have it all" with one pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My pistols are all great for self-defense (knock on wood) and they're all great at the gun range.

But none of them are worth a darn when I want to make waffles.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I do all with my XDm compact. I carry it concealed with the standard mag, and take it to the range and use it for home defense with the extend mag and grip extension that came with the gun. That is one of the reasons I chose it.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I have two that could very easily be used as a one gun solution, the first is my 1911 in 10MM it can do it all including hunting just not deer here in Indiana. The other is a 4 inch N frame in 44 magnum, I use 44 specials for the range and magnums for hunting.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    What many people consider to be "it all" consists mostly of subjective wants, and insubstantial nitpicks.

If "it all" to you means combat accurate and reliable, then there are dozens of pistols to choose from.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One of the best 'Do it all' guns out there is a CZ 75B Compact. Big enough to be comfortable and fun to shoot, yet small enough to conceal reasonably well. Right now, there are many mid-size guns that could be the 'One'. Glock 19, Commander sized 1911, Bersa 9UC all come to mind. Go much smaller and you will tire of shooting it quickly. Much larger, you have concealment concerns.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    One of the best 'Do it all' guns out there is a CZ 75B Compact. Big enough to be comfortable and fun to shoot, yet small enough to conceal reasonably well. Right now, there are many mid-size guns that could be the 'One'. Glock 19, Commander sized 1911, Bersa 9UC all come to mind. Go much smaller and you will tire of shooting it quickly. Much larger, you have concealment concerns.

I have to agree. But I would say more specifically the CZ-75 compact P-01 model. The light rail and alloy frame means carrying even less weight and the addition of a weapon light if you want for night stand duty. . I think I could live with just my P-01 if I had too. But I Don't so I don't.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'll add one more +1 to a G19 (or similar sized pistol). Mine gets carried regularly, sleeps near me for bumps in the night, and I've use it in USPSA (incl a couple major matches).

-rvb

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    "Have it all" Obviously means different things to different people, even when talking about handguns. My first handgun is the top revolver in my avatar. My primary purpose was range and hunting. Now I have OC'd that revolver on occasion, but I got similar looks from people that you might get when you carry an AR. If I could have only one gun to do it all for me...it would have to be my GP-100 with 4 inch barrel. But I really don't want to carry it every day! My CM9 is soooo much lighter and smaller. Only having one handgun to me is kind of like selling the spare tire to the car. But that's just me. If I did not hunt, I guess I could carry a Glock 19.:):

Oh, yeah. 44 mag for deer, and 22 for rabbits. I guess 19 handguns might be more than I need...but my wife isn't trying to make me get rid of any, so...I think I will keep 'em. Might even add some down the road.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I have to agree. But I would say more specifically the CZ-75 compact P-01 model. The light rail and alloy frame means carrying even less weight and the addition of a weapon light if you want for night stand duty. . I think I could live with just my P-01 if I had too. But I Don't so I don't.

I carry the compact model and have used the barrel/slide on a full size frame for USPSA (due to sights). I would not hesitate to use it under any circumstances or for any practical purpose. Some people like the alloy frame models, some don't. I will stick with steel.

Top Bottom