• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Penske

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    We are going to Michigan soon and I can't seem to find a chart on what states we can carry outside of Indiana?

Thanks
    Lyal

Penske

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Thank you I looked forever to find something and right after I posted i found it

:-)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Many of their laws are similar to ours, but you should still read through them just to be safe.

My fiancee's family lives there, and I have carried there several times. No issues so far.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    They've got a little bit more exhaustive "off-limits" list, so be familiar with that. Also, it is a must inform state, so any official interaction with police, you must tell them you have a handgun at the outset.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    "Michigan honors all other resident Permits/Licenses to carry concealed firearms."

HandgunLaw.us

I have found HandgunLaw.us to be either incorrect or out of date on more than one occasion...good spot for an overview for the curious or to get basic ideas, but I STRONGLY suggest following their links (good place for this too) to the states' State Police/AG/Code site.

BTW, just spent the weekend CC'ing in MI...they have quite a few more restricted areas...no sign as law as you would find in OH.

Just remember...if you are stopped by the police YOU MUST INFORM!

It is only an infraction ($500 max) for the first offense in MI (I think the third may be a felony, but check yourself)...I think OH is a misdemeanor on the first offense.

One of the "restricted areas" that is hard to find (it is not included in the section of code specifically called out for firearms-restricted locales) are state recreation areas, wildlife refuges etc....you can possess, but may not "be loaded in barrel or magazine".

Check and get to know the law yourself, and enjoy your trip :yesway:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    One of the "restricted areas" that is hard to find (it is not included in the section of code specifically called out for firearms-restricted locales) are state recreation areas, wildlife refuges etc....you can possess, but may not "be loaded in barrel or magazine".
    I have read the firearms laws a hundred times and belong to several MI firearms boards. Never heard of this. Got the MCL?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have read the firearms laws a hundred times and belong to several MI firearms boards. Never heard of this. Got the MCL?

Was posted at the site; will have to research...had remembered seeing it last year and was trying to find it myself in the MCL...I couldn't...it is still posted at the location, however...it it NOT part of the firearms statutes, but (apparently) part of the outdoors parks/recs statute OR regs; is possibly out of date and the posting never removed.

EDIT: Couldn't find it on the Michigan DNR site...however, I found it discussed at length on THR...it is/was a DNR reg, and may or may not be trumped by state law...I haven't had time and am too tired to read the discussion or research further now, but you should get the info you need if you care to do so...here is the link:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-378960.html

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Any parks or localities that still have these types of laws on the books are not valid. They have all been preempted by MCL 123.1102 which states that no firearms laws can be more restrictive than what the State of Michigan allows, just like Indiana. The only activity they can regulate in regards to firearms is hunting and discharge. Furthermore, in MCRGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The above is a good rule, but the law actually states:

CC = BAC < .02
    OC = BAC < .08

Be careful of driving because weapon in car is considered CC even if carried openly.

yeah, I knew there were issues with driving. my wife and I like to hit a lot of breweries when traveling and it doesn't take much at all to cross .02.

Top Bottom