• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The MDNR rule has always been that you may not carry a loaded firearm "in the field" during non-hunting hours. For example, when I am going to my stand or blind for deer hunting @ oh-dark-hundred in the morning, my shotgun has to be unloaded until legal hunting hours. I believe, but am not sure, there is an exception for carrying a handgun with a license.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have found HandgunLaw.us to be either incorrect or out of date on more than one occasion...good spot for an overview for the curious or to get basic ideas, but I STRONGLY suggest following their links (good place for this too) to the states' State Police/AG/Code site.

BTW, just spent the weekend CC'ing in MI...they have quite a few more restricted areas...no sign as law as you would find in OH.

Just remember...if you are stopped by the police YOU MUST INFORM!

It is only an infraction ($500 max) for the first offense in MI (I think the third may be a felony, but check yourself)...I think OH is a misdemeanor on the first offense.

One of the "restricted areas" that is hard to find (it is not included in the section of code specifically called out for firearms-restricted locales) are state recreation areas, wildlife refuges etc....you can possess, but may not "be loaded in barrel or magazine".

Check and get to know the law yourself, and enjoy your trip :yesway:

Good points all, but I would add that I have found handgunlaw.us very prompt at correcting out of date or wrong information when they are made aware of it. If you see something there that you know is wrong do us all a favor and let them know, with good citations.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    One of the "restricted areas" that is hard to find (it is not included in the section of code specifically called out for firearms-restricted locales) are state recreation areas, wildlife refuges etc....you can possess, but may not "be loaded in barrel or magazine".
    Lex, Can you please cite where this law is found? Not sure if it applies to camping in state parks and walking around the park. I'll scratch MI off my list if it does, bummer.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Michigan state parks, rec areas, DNR land, etc. all allow firearms. They have to by the MI preemption law MCL 123.1102. You do not need a CPL to open carry a loaded firearm. You do need a CPL to CC.

They are allowed to regulate hunting, so carry of a loaded shotgun or rifle in a non-hunting time will most likely get you in trouble if caught, and good luck arguing that was your protection piece.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Lex Concord,

Could you tell me what is incorrect or out of date on the Michigan Page. I will correct it.

I wasn't referring specifically to the Michigan page.

I know there were others, but the only specific instance I remember was the TN supreme court ruling that overruled the legislature's removal of certain alcohol-serving establishments from the prohibited places list. This has been some time ago.

All in all, I find Handgunlaw.us to be very useful and usually quite accurate. That said, it is always prudent to try to go to the source, and Hangunlaw.us is also a great place to hit those sources without needing strong search engine skills.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Any parks or localities that still have these types of laws on the books are not valid. They have all been preempted by MCL 123.1102 which states that no firearms laws can be more restrictive than what the State of Michigan allows, just like Indiana. The only activity they can regulate in regards to firearms is hunting and discharge. Furthermore, in MCRGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession.

Yep..once I had a chance to go back and read the thread on THR, that was the understanding I got.

Apparently the psted signage at the RA hasn't been updated for some time.

I'm glad to know the truth for next time.

Thanks for raising the question. :yesway:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Yep..once I had a chance to go back and read the thread on THR, that was the understanding I got.

Apparently the psted signage at the RA hasn't been updated for some time.

The firearms community, and in particular MOC (Michigan Open Carry) and MGO (Michigan Gun Owners), have been working with cities, townships, and other entities to remove or update any posted signage that is found to be incorrect, and change any laws on the books that do not conform to the MI preemption law. In general these organizations have a good working relationship with the MSP, county sheriffs, and many city and township PDs.

E-e-every once in a while one has to get sued. :laugh:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The firearms community, and in particular MOC (Michigan Open Carry) and MGO (Michigan Gun Owners), have been working with cities, townships, and other entities to remove or update any posted signage that is found to be incorrect, and change any laws on the books that do not conform to the MI preemption law. In general these organizations have a good working relationship with the MSP, county sheriffs, and many city and township PDs.

So, who would you recommend I contact about the incorrect signage? DNR? My MI attorney? ;)

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    So am I correct in that:
    1) I am an IN resident
    2) Have a lifetime LTCH in IN
    3) Can carry a concealed handgun in my car and /or on me
    4) Must inform LEO immediately
    5) Carry a shotgun in the car but not loaded

Would this also hold true for carry/possession in a National Forest in MI?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So am I correct in that:
    1) I am an IN resident
    2) Have a lifetime LTCH in IN
    3) Can carry a concealed handgun in my car and /or on me
    4) Must inform LEO immediately
    5) Carry a shotgun in the car but not loaded

Would this also hold true for carry/possession in a National Forest in MI?
    Yes to all. Be aware of differing "no carry" places in Mi. Which Nat. forest you going to?

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"

And in certain areas of Indiana... even suing them doesn't make any difference.. State Preemption laws can and are ignored... ala Hammond Indiana and King McDermott.

Top Bottom