• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Can one truly own property? Or is it really just permission? (Not even going down the tax rabbit hole.). If everyone else wants your property and joins to take it how are you going to keep it? If someone tries to take my house I have LEO, courts, etc. What if they will not help me? Am I limited by what I can personally defend?

Just how secure are ownership rights in even the US? Who secures ownership rights beyond what one can personally defend?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We've had that discussion, just since Christmas, with regards to dad's and mom's farms (x1 each), how to protect them, and how that will all play out upon their passing??? Working through it but there's a lot to learn on this!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You only lease property from the government, it's called property taxes. Don't make your lease payments and the government will repo your land and sell it to their friends. Make your payments and the law will allow you to own the land, even protect you from various non governmental entities who might want to take it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    No one can take the land from you. They can only remove you from the land.

If your car gets stolen, it's gone and you don't know where it is. No one can do that with land. If you hunker down and defend the Alamo, it's yours until someone forcibly removes you.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I guess nobody ever really owns land. It all became "rented from the government landlord" when property taxes came into existence, and in the end everyone dies and someone else occupies the land.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Has anyone ever really owned land? Prior to settlement if you couldn't defend it you never really owned it.
    Honestly it's not that different now, except the difference is the people trying to take your land are the government (with tax and regulation) and people (with lawsuits).

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    During the covid crisis I had squatters claim some of my ground, but without a survey I could not have them removed. Covid delayed the survey so I had to put up with them until I could get that done. The day after the stakes were driven, they were gone.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not going "down the tax rabbit hole" even though you think you have land, if the state decides they need it for better use, kiss it good-bye. I watched many homes get taken by Hamilton County in the name of making 146th Street a grand boulevard. I personally lost almost 75 feet of my back yard and was told to either take the cash offer, which my real estate friend told me was reasonable, or lose it to eminent domain. Don't remember the exact ruling but in Connecticut versus the land owner, the court ruled that the state has every right to remove you from your land "for the greater good".

Welcome to something our founder feared.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Not going "down the tax rabbit hole" even though you think you have land, if the state decides they need it for better use, kiss it good-bye. I watched many homes get taken by Hamilton County in the name of making 146th Street a grand boulevard. I personally lost almost 75 feet of my back yard and was told to either take the cash offer, which my real estate friend told me was reasonable, or lose it to eminent domain. Don't remember the exact ruling but in Connecticut versus the land owner, the court ruled that the state has every right to remove you from your land "for the greater good".

And the county keeps doing it. :xmad: As leadeye says, follow the money.

Just how secure are ownership rights in even the US?
    They aren't. And it goes beyond taking property(land), it has reached a point where gov't can tell you what you can and can't do with your property(land).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sometimes it depends on how much money you have and how much you’re willing to fight to keep your property.

A friend of a friend owned a place down in Orange county. His neighbor (owned the place behind him, with road frontage) decided he wanted part of his property to access the other county road. The neighbor took the friend’s friend to court numerous times trying to get possession of the part he wanted. Luckily, the friend was an attorney so he got the “friends and family” discount on the legal bills or the neighbor would have eventually out spent him to get the property.

The neighbor finally ran out of angles to get the property and gave up. A couple years later I asked the friend if his friend’s neighbor ever gave him anymore trouble. Apparently, when whatever he was trying to do fell through, he sold out and moved.

@Leadeye, I’ve got a story similar to yours I’ll have to talk about sometime when it all gets settled.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county

Yeah, I have seen/heard similar issues with interstate 69. Farms split, homeowners forced to take “ market prices” for ground they don’t want to sell.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    A few years ago I was looking to buy around 25 acres that connected to my land. 20 acres was on my side of the road and 5 acres on the other side. When I went to the court house the tax records showed the split parcels but when i looked at the current survey on record it looked like the property owner on the other side of the road took the 5 acres. It appeared this happened 3 or 4 years before I was looking.
    I talked to the property owner and told him what I found and he said he never sold that 5 acres and was still paying taxes on it. I don’t know what he every found out, I ended up passing on the property because I didn’t want to deal with the problem.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago I was looking to buy around 25 acres that connected to my land. 20 acres was on my side of the road and 5 acres on the other side. When I went to the court house the tax records showed the split parcels but when i looked at the current survey on record it looked like the property owner on the other side of the road took the 5 acres. It appeared this happened 3 or 4 years before I was looking.
    I talked to the property owner and told him what I found and he said he never sold that 5 acres and was still paying taxes on it. I don’t know what he every found out, I ended up passing on the property because I didn’t want to deal with the problem.
    Sounds like maybe a little adverse possession move there.

Know where your property lines are and stop any encroachment as soon as you find it. You’re not being a good neighbor by letting your neighbor use a piece of your property. You’re being a sucker.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Can one truly own property? Or is it really just permission? (Not even going down the tax rabbit hole.). If everyone else wants your property and joins to take it how are you going to keep it? If someone tries to take my house I have LEO, courts, etc. What if they will not help me? Am I limited by what I can personally defend?

Just how secure are ownership rights in even the US? Who secures ownership rights beyond what one can personally defend?
    Ultimately if you look all throughout history, the answer really is any geographic area is only yours if force can be applied to your claim. That could be an individual, a tribe, a standing army, law enforcement etc.. enforcing the claim. It ultimately comes down to force/power. I recall when I was studying real estate law for my exam, and entire suburb near a lake was taken by the local government by eminent domain to develop the entire area. Kelo vs New London was the case. I could be remembering some details as its been a while, but in the end, the homes were taken by the local gov, and those people would have been arrested and possibly imprisoned if they resisted. In this world you really own nothing, you only own what what the world let you own.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    My old house sat off a highway the state decided to widen. The road would have went through our home. They offered to move us to a different city and used properties in a different county than ours to estimate our homes value because they couldn’t find anything with our acreage in the area. Our property is in a wealthy area the similar properties used were not. We appealed to the state multiple times to the point they said if we didn’t take their offer they would put money into an account with our name and we would be evicted.

So no, it’s my opinion we never truly own our property

Top Bottom