BM1aYmLCMAAnpg2_zpsf8d9c840.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Variation of the original question: If presidents were required to OC, what would they have carried?

GW Bush would have almost certainly packed a pair of SAA Colts in a western style holster.
    Bush SR and Ike would most likely have carried 1911s.
    Clinton? I'm guessing a gold plated PPK with pearl grips.
    Obama would carry the one below
    easiest-way-paint-steampunk-nerf-gun-no-disassembly-required.w654.jpg

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    If I were president I would carry a 1911; shoulder holster in a suit, and on my hip every other time. I think an OCing president would be pretty cool. :D
    Don't give them any ideas. Bloomberg will have "Obie" wearing a 1911 stuffed in his pants, sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck preaching how responsible gun owners want background checks with gun registration.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This is a symbolic power thing. Generally you don't do a menial task if you can have others do it for you, especially in a way to show off your power. Rulers usually aren't armed, because they are at the top of a system that, in part, employs legitimized violence to govern. The US president has a whole team of armed people around him. He needs to show that off. Not carrying is actually a sign of power. If the US president carries, he will have to CC. There may be no explicit rules about it, but that's how symbolic power works.

Now, there have been some rulers who associate themselves with guns. They tend to be former military folks who've never managed to remove themselves from the image of "freedom fighter" or "patriotic revolutionary soldier." They need that image, which is a lot closer to arbitrary violence than to legitimized violence, in order to rule. Saddam Hussein is an example. You don't want a ruler who open carries, because that probably means you're in a sh*th*le of a country.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I mean the president in general, not Obama. Lets pretend we actually put a gun friendly president in the White House, could he issue an executive order allowing himself to carry as a federal officer?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If I were ever President the first thing I would do is issue an executive order lifting the anti-gun laws in DC. Then I would put huge pressure on every state and city (like Shatcago and NYC) through santions until they allowed thier citizens to excercise thier rights properly.

Then I would clean my 1911s in the Oval Office daily with Hoppes #9 so it would smell awesome in there. Oh and ofcourse I would OC my 1911 everywhere. Not because I needed to, but as a display to the people the I belive in our Consitution.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I guess no one is listening to me as to the the nature of presidential power.

On to a separate point: let's be fair -- our last few presidents have pretty good hand-eye coordination. Clinton was a college athlete, Bush was athletic, and Obama was a high school athlete. Bush could dodge shoes. Obama could kill flies. They're probably more physically gifted than a lot of people in INGO. Heck, some of them, even at their advanced age, might be more physically fit than some of the tacticool youngsters. Basic gun handling is just like any other physical skill, and they would be better than the average population, regardless of their political beliefs.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I mean the president in general, not Obama. Lets pretend we actually put a gun friendly president in the White House, could he issue an executive order allowing himself to carry as a federal officer?

He could carry legally or not anyway.
    As the president it's not like he's going to get searched whenever he enters a federal building or stopped by DC police when he goes to Five Guys with the presidential limo. :dunno:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I've just always wondered about this. I'm with Reagan when he says "just in case." What happens if he somehow gets isolated or if he's out and a dog attacks him? If I was president I'd carry. Proabily concealed with a shoulder holster like all the other SS agents.

Top Bottom