• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    so i found this Springfield range officer, is it a bad idea to carry it? im not worried about the size im large enough to hide it, but will the target sights stay put? this will probably be my first 1911 and im pretty sure its the one i want i stood and looked at it for 20 minutes.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't see why not. But then again I don't own any 1911's, or any pistol for that matter, that have adjustable target sights so i really can't comment on them moving but I doubt they would. If they can stand the abuse of competiton they should be able to hold zero from walking around normally.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    As I recall, the RO I used to have didn't have night sights. Not a deal breaker for some, is for others. Just a consideration.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 RO's and 1 is for carry, the other has been modified into a steel gun. The target sights can give you issue as they tend to get hung up in any garment that you may cover it with. Practice will overcome this issue.

As to accuracy, you will not get an out of the box 1911 that is a better shooter. These things are tack drivers.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I have 2 RO's and 1 is for carry, the other has been modified into a steel gun. The target sights can give you issue as they tend to get hung up in any garment that you may cover it with. Practice will overcome this issue.

As to accuracy, you will not get an out of the box 1911 that is a better shooter. These things are tack drivers.
    ive herd they are lasers, i was just worried if the sights would come loose, so from what your telling me they will probably not move if i take care of the gun? so sounds like to me a 1911 of the Springfield verity will be adopted real soon. just need a lefty safety.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I have one that I have carried on occasion, never had a sight problem. If firing it doesn't mess with them, I wouldn't see why carrying it would. But be careful the back sights can snag or cut you.

Churchmouse is right as usual when it comes to 1911s, it is a tack driver.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i bought the Loaded w/ target sights and the gun was so reliable I made it my carry gun. I had a couple of shops look into replacing the sights, but ultimately sent it to Springfield who had my gun back in 5 business days with night sights. It was pricey to have ship, but I have no regrets because they didn't mess around and they fired the gun to make sure everything was accurate.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I love the range officer guns and you don't have to worry about the sights coming loose they'll be fine.
    I haven't done this to my RO but I have been know to do a "carry cut" on other guns with billboard rear blades it makes them look like this

it helps a little with the snagging I think. I have no scientific proof though :)

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I don't have one, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

A prominent poster on another gun board had to sell his carry Kimber for financial reasons, and replaced it with a Range Officer. I believe he is very pleased with his as a defnsive pistol........

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Personally I think it's a great carry gun. However...I would change out the sights. I hate rear dots, but I hate NO dots even more. And changing the mag with target sights means you have to avoid over the top slide drops unless you want to rip up your hands. I would recommend a Harrison Design rear with whatever front you want (FO, tritium, gold dot, etc). Springfield actually installs these sights because they like them so much. I would send the gun to SA to have those swapped out, and then carry away. :twocents:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've never tried to do one-handed manipulations with the RO's target sights, either -- I'd have to be convinced that they work there before I'd carry it. They might be fine, but I'd have to know that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have carried mine. No issues. They won't come loose. I have a FO up front.

The sharp edges did catch me a couple times at the range while doing malfunction clearing though.

Allen, I was thinking of rounding over the sharp edges on my sight but I like the way the one in the pic looks.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have carried mine. No issues. They won't come loose. I have a FO up front.

The sharp edges did catch me a couple times at the range while doing malfunction clearing though.

Allen, I was thinking of rounding over the sharp edges on my sight but I like the way the one in the pic looks.

Rounding is another way to go but I like this better as well

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    how hard is it to put a left friendly safety on the range officer? is it something i could do my self im a mechanic but i dont know enough about the 1911 to know if i could handle that.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    how hard is it to put a left friendly safety on the range officer? is it something i could do my self im a mechanic but i dont know enough about the 1911 to know if i could handle that.

Not super hard. There are some walk through's online and Wilson sells a great one but it is about $160.00 hate to mess that one up. There are cheaper ones but don't get the cheapest you can find or you will regret it on an Ambi safety.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Not super hard. There are some walk through's online and Wilson sells a great one but it is about $160.00 hate to mess that one up. There are cheaper ones but don't get the cheapest you can find or you will regret it on an Ambi safety.
    what kind of tools would i need so i can figure out what to get out of my box at work when i do this?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Tools I use a smallish file and fine stones to finish up with but you could substitute 600 grit sand paper for the stones. Since I am over 50 I also use some good reading glasses :)
    You'll need a hammer and 1/8" punch also.
    You will have to remove the grip safety to do this

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Tools I use a smallish file and fine stones to finish up with but you could substitute 600 grit sand paper for the stones. Since I am over 50 I also use some good reading glasses :)
    You'll need a hammer and 1/8" punch also.
    You will have to remove the grip safety to do this
    is there anything special about removing them? i know the felling about glasses i cant see the front sight on a mosin with out them.

Top Bottom