• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Currently I have a M&P9 Pro and am looking into a carry gun. I know the Glock 19 will come up but it just didn't feel the best in my hand. That being said, I've handled the M&PC, XDsc and I believe a Sig or Ruger but don't remember the model.

I've seen a lot about the Kruger LC9, Bodyguard 380, and the up and coming XDs, so what do people recommend?

I'm not looking for anything in the .40 Cal or larger range, so a .380 or 9mm is preferable in either a Sub-Compact or Compact model.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Currently I have a M&P9 Pro and am looking into a carry gun. I know the Glock 19 will come up but it just didn't feel the best in my hand. That being said, I've handled the M&PC, XDsc and I believe a Sig or Ruger but don't remember the model.

I've seen a lot about the Kruger LC9, Bodyguard 380, and the up and coming XDs, so what do people recommend?

I'm not looking for anything in the .40 Cal or larger range, so a .380 or 9mm is preferable in either a Sub-Compact or Compact model.

I am no fan of the 9mm and definitely not a 380. What do you have against a 40 or a 45. Self defense is not something you negotiate. If it comes up, it comes fast, hard and must be ended the same way. Give the 4's some thought....JMHO

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I know the Glock 19 will come up

It sure will. By me. Or try a G26 in your hand, and maybe rent one and see how you like it. Very nice size for 10 rounds.

Personally, I did not like shooting my LCP at all, and do not think I would ever carry it if I could conceal a sub-compact or compact striker pistol in 9mm - you just loose too much, IMO.

+1 G19, shoot them all and let your groups decide. My P30 feels way better in my hand than any other handgun i've owned or shot - but the Glock is better for me for trigger reasons. I guess do what I did not, and figure out if you can be accurate from draw with what you want to carry.

Maybe a local meet and shoot would be a good place to try some stuff.

gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm more comfortable with a 9, and with the way PD ammo has progressed these days, there isn't a large difference between a 9 or 45 anymore (at least from anything I've researched into)

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I am no fan of the 9mm and definitely not a 380. What do you have against a 40 or a 45. Self defense is not something you negotiate. If it comes up, it comes fast, hard and must be ended the same way. Give the 4's some thought....JMHO

+1 You won't wish you had something bigger if you have a 40 or 45. Buy something, practice and know your limitations with the smaller handgun because there is a difference between a 5" , 4", and 3" barrels with smaller frame handguns. Example: Glock 21 SF vs Glock 36 are both 45 ACP but the larger frame gives less felt recoil and is somewhat more accurate with the longer sight radius than the smaller G36.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're at all game for meeting at Indy Trading Post sometime this coming week, I'll let you run a M&P9c...in exchange for letting me shoot your M&P Pro!

-J-

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Sierra Bravo November
    I had a G19 for awhile and carried it, its alright, a little big for concealed but hands down the most accurate pistol i have ever shot. I then bought a S&W M&P .40C, I alternate between that and my Ruger LCP, in a .380, If you think in aspects of carrying and the times you would need to utilize it in a self defense weapon, your not going to need to deliver a head size shot at 50m, When i carry my LCP I "gangster" carry it on my hip, because its so small its about pointless to get any kind of holster, and loaded with Hydro Shock rounds, its gunna drop a person if you hit them, that i assure you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm more comfortable with a 9, and with the way PD ammo has progressed these days, there isn't a large difference between a 9 or 45 anymore (at least from anything I've researched into)
    :+1::+1::+1::+1: GLAD to hear that you've done your research PAST the point of "jello junkie theory:bigger whole means faster drop" :rockwoot::rockwoot:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Wait let me get this straight, you have an M&P9 Pro and you want a carry gun. I guess I don't understand, you said you have an M&P9 Pro, that is a carry gun.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I just bought a Ruger LC9 before Christmas and I love it. It is a very accurate gun and fits well in my hand (with the finger extension). Trigger pull is a little long, but not too heavy. It's a great gun.

gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I know most people would be happy to carry the gun I have, but I'm a relatively small guy (5'11", 155lbs). So its hard hard for me to carry a 5" full size pistol without it printing like a puppet or wearing unusually baggy clothes. I haven't tried any IWB holsters but I'd rather have a dedicated EDC and keep the pro for days on the range or competitions.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I know most people would be happy to carry the gun I have, but I'm a relatively small guy (5'11", 155lbs). So its hard hard for me to carry a 5" full size pistol without it printing like a puppet or wearing unusually baggy clothes. I haven't tried any IWB holsters but I'd rather have a dedicated EDC and keep the pro for days on the range or competitions.

You have a couple choices. 1) buy an M&P 9 compact. Then your carry gun is basically the same as your range gun. Or 2) buy a small backup gun for concealment. I would recommend the kahr cm9 or pm9 depending on budget or a smith & Wesson 642 revolver.

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I've been through a lot of hand guns trying to find the one I like best. I don't know if I could pick just one at this point but I am extremely happen with my XD9. There's a ton of reviews out there against the glocks saying it sin't as good. I know everyone has different experiences but I have had two glocks both of which had FTF and FTE problems. My XD9 is approaching 3k rounds and has only 1 FTF I can remember. That was due to a defective casing on a cheap gun show reload. There are also a couple features I like that glocks don't have.

Indicator on rail if round if chambered (you should always know if your loaded but who knows what odd night circumstance you could find yourself in)

Indicator if the gun is cocked (same as above)

Grip safety, no manual safety to disengage but at the same time it will not fire unless the gun is griped properly.

As far as Caliber, I love 9mm as well. It seems I can be more accurate with fast shooting and the extra rounds are nice to have as well.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i agree with others. with the right holster u can carry whatever you want. i conceal a 1911 and its just perfect. im sure theres people on here that woul use your m&p as a ankle gun. save yourself some cash and buy a nice holster

mconnery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Richmond, IN.
    Cannot beat a basic .38 -2" - revolver for all round CC. or personal protection. Malfunction drills for auto are many, mlfunction drill for a revolver "Pull again".

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not much bigger than you and I CC a full size Beretta....."ass crack" carry location..lol your back naturally arches inboard and so the shirt doesn't press against it too much to cause a noticable imprint

Top Bottom