• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If you're at all game for meeting at Indy Trading Post sometime this coming week, I'll let you run a M&P9c...in exchange for letting me shoot your M&P Pro!

-J-

I may take you up on that offer. Since I bought the M&P I haven't had a chance to get to a range so this may be the kick I need.

I'm not much bigger than you and I CC a full size Beretta....."ass crack" carry location..lol your back naturally arches inboard and so the shirt doesn't press against it too much to cause a noticable imprint

You know something, I never though of even trying to carry in that position. I have to imagine that can't be comfortable sitting though... lol

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    Currently I have a M&P9 Pro and am looking into a carry gun. I know the Glock 19 will come up but it just didn't feel the best in my hand. That being said, I've handled the M&PC, XDsc and I believe a Sig or Ruger but don't remember the model.

I've seen a lot about the Kruger LC9, Bodyguard 380, and the up and coming XDs, so what do people recommend?

I'm not looking for anything in the .40 Cal or larger range, so a .380 or 9mm is preferable in either a Sub-Compact or Compact model.
    I'd recommend an aluminum frame .45 ACP. with 3.5 to 4 inch barrel for stopping power. This would reduce the weight and give you one of the most effective stopping calibers. Proper belt and holster can offset even the heaviest guns. However, if recoil is an issue, I'd recomend a Kahr in 9mm with modern hollow points, like Hornady Critical Defense. Handle one of the 9mm with the polymer frame, great gun and shoots well, with recommended round count break-in.

Popacap

bccorvette

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Reddington
    Try out some holsters. You will get use to it if you find the right one. If all else fails get a .380 pocket gun. I have a Taurus and love it.

gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not trying to start any kind of war with this coming post but my OP was not asking what type of caliber I should get. I'm sticking to either a 9mm or .380, bc anything I've read, from reputable sources, have not shown any argument that .40 or .45 is appreciably better than 9mm with PD ammo. This thread is not intended to go into that at all so please don't start that argument here, there's dozens of other threads with that topic already.

As such, my question lies within what particular gun, in either .380 or 9mm (preferably 9mm), is best for CC from your experience.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    I carry a 32acp KelTec with the belt clip in the front R/S of my pants its comfortable and still easy enough to get to if you had to. In the past I have carried a 38spl S&W 442 the same way but with a leather in the pants holster its a little more bulky but still easy accessable.

manygunsmike

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    I have a Kahr CM9 and I am very happy with it. I have also carried a Bersa Thunder 380 for some time and was happy with it as well. Either gun is compact enough to be concealed in almost any carry position. I know that I can carry a much larger gun in the small of my back, I just don't like that carry postion at all. I'm 5'10" and about 165 lbs, so I can't hide a Sig P226 like some people can.

I would highly reccomend a Kahr pistol for carry. Pretty much anything they make is small enough to be easily concealed. I also like the fact that they don't have external or magazine safties on them, but that is a personal preference. My Bersa has both and they are my only two complaints about it. I am not a big Glock fan, not because I think they make a bad product but because I just don't like the trigger on them. Same with the S&W trigger.

My opinions don't mean a hill of beans though compared to what feels right in your hand. Try several different makes a models out. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the models that you are considering.

rick_bro24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I liked the G19 and still carry it but I'm looking now for something a little smaller and may stay with the Glock and buy the 26. I've also been looking at a few different Khars!!

Which Khar do you think is the best for carry?

Why do the make so hard to buy a gun from anybody on this site? I'm looking for another carry gun like the G26. My G19 is just a little to big. I may have to go to a shop since its gona take a month to get 50 post on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why do the make so hard to buy a gun from anybody on this site? I'm looking for another carry gun like the G26. My G19 is just a little to big. I may have to go to a shop since its gona take a month to get 50 post on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can also pay $10 and become a site supporter. Although you will find that a lot of sellers like to do business with people who are active on the board. Good luck in your search.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Kahr's if you don't mind single stack...conceal easily and light

next step would be G19 or Sig P250c...just a couple personal likes there.....you can also get some compact 1911's in 9mm a number of which i like.....EMP, New Agent, etc

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like you just need a good belt and holster.

ATM wins again.

M&P9 Full size is my EDC. :rockwoot:

I just put popcorn in the microwave... Let the 9mm vs .40/45 debate begin. :dunno:

(Seriously, some of you really over-analyze the concept of multiple projectiles ripping through a BG's center mass...)

Just carry, and carry what's comfortable for you.
    All calibers are proven to make one bleed and end conflict fast.

To stick with the OP... I absolutely would take up on Indy_Guy's offer (heck, maybe I'll join if it's Tuesday or Thursday) and try the M&Pc.
    That, and pop your M&P9 Pro's cherry!

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    FWIW, I'm about your size and recently purchased a FNP-9 and Kholster. For my size and the clothes I wear, I find that with that particular pistol, I have to compromise between concealment and comfort. Sitting in a car is painful with IWB. If I didn't have my little Firestar, I would probably not carry as often, or just deal with OC'ing the FN.

I think you'll be happy with an ultra compact 9mm, like the Kahr, LC9, or even the CZ 2075 Rami ( I really like that one).

mconnery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Richmond, IN.
    IMHO, it is not as much as what you carry as that you carry, don't get something that you are not comfortable with or you may find it ends up staying at home.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    My edc is an xd9sc in a cross breed holster. Wouldn't trade for anything. However, my wife has the px4 storm 9 compact and that's a great gun too. Plus it has a safety if you feel a little nervous about a round in the pipe ( I don't but some do and with her carrying in the purse at times it made sense.)

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Love my Ruger LC9 and you cannot beat a good 38, but that is just my opinion. Personally I just cannot get over the bulkiness of Glocks. They shoot great, but I don't think I could carry one.

gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Indy_Guy, PM me your email, I'd like to try and get together sometime. I really like the idea of having the same model series between my range/competition and EDC gun.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a KelTec PF9 for carry.

How do you feel about the gun? Obviously since you carry it, you trust/like it. But what is your over all feeling of the gun. A friend pointed that gun out to my online. I'm considering it as my next gun. Can you sell me on it?

kpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I carry a compact XD and I love it, feels great in my hand and is easy to conceal on my large frame. I also carry an LC9, it is easily concealable in a pocket or boot. It fits the hand well with the pinkey extension and fires fast and true. Either one is a good option and I would encourage you to look into them.

ZX Gun

ZX Gun
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    I strongly agree that a good belt and holster make your carry. I'd argue that the order of importance is belt, holster, gun.

I have your exact same build, and with a good belt and OWB holster can conceal even a full frame gun, like a Sig 226, under an untucked shirt between 4 and 5 o'clock on my hip. That said, my EDC is a G26 (or two) with a G19 mag.

I think you are on the right track looking into a M&Pc, you'll also be able to use the mags from your Pro in the compact gun.

Kahrs are also great guns. And just last week I had the opportunity to try out a few guns I'd never shot before. One of these was the new Beretta Nano, which I didn't expect to like going in. Now I want one. It is very compact and very accurate with a nice trigger similar to a Glock or M&P. Also, I was able to shoot a Sig 238 and it is hands down the best small .380 I have shot. It felt like it had no recoil, it didn't want to pop out of my hand like an LCP or P3AT, and it is very accurate.

Top Bottom