• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So basically if I am going to the county sheriff's department that isn't connected to the county jail or my local PD's front desk area or general offices, it's ok to carry my gun in there.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've been in the public areas of Mishawaka and South Bends police departments while carrying. SB didn't even give me any !&it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Local govts can prohibit firearms in buildings. They have to have a metal detector manned by a LEO to do so. BUT and this is a big but, they can't prohibit handguns if the carrier has a LTCH.

Interesting. Would have saved me a lot of trips back and forth. I wonder if the guy manning the machine was aware. Would have tied me up longer trying to prove that I was legal to do it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't believe holding cells count as penal facilities but I would have to check the case law. Keep in mind, there is more to the trafficking with an inmate statute than what I posted and it has been amended several times in the last 10 years.

The case I was referring to was at least 15 yrs ago, maybe 20. iirc The guy's either Mom or GF was sitting by the jury box which is where they had the inmates sitting and was flipping them cigarettes when they thought no one was looking. :rolleyes:

Did a quick scan of the caselaw, can't find anything even claiming that a holding cell at a PD etc. is a penal facility. All of the cases deal either with jails or prisons or with halfway house type facilities.

Thanks much, halfway houses I believe would fall under the community corrections (IC 4-13.5) referred to in the penal facility definition.

Local govts can prohibit firearms in buildings. They have to have a metal detector manned by a LEO to do so. BUT and this is a big but, they can't prohibit handguns if the carrier has a LTCH.

Interesting. Would have saved me a lot of trips back and forth. I wonder if the guy manning the machine was aware. Would have tied me up longer trying to prove that I was legal to do it.

I should have been a bit more clear. That only applies to buildings that they can't legally completely ban, such as courthouse, hospital with a secure correctional wing, etc. Which from what I can find wouldn't have applied in your case. Or places prohibited under state law.

Last edited:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I love how this has gone from "can I carry in a police station?" to "cops don't know ****!" Although I'm not surprised.

and it is about another state...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's good to know that the two county buildings that I had long assumed were off limits for non-LEO to carry in -- jails or other locations that house prisoners or those charged with a crime, and (usually, but not always) courthouses -- are normally the ones that don't allow.
    For once, intuition (mostly, as in individualized policies with courthouses) coincides with the law.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It's good to know that the two county buildings that I had long assumed were off limits for non-LEO to carry in -- jails or other locations that house prisoners or those charged with a crime, and (usually, but not always) courthouses -- are normally the ones that don't allow.
    For once, intuition (mostly, as in individualized policies with courthouses) coincides with the law.

LEOs don't really get to carry in the jail either. They are generally required to lock up their weapons in the non secure area before being buzzed in.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    LEOs don't really get to carry in the jail either. They are generally required to lock up their weapons in the non secure area before being buzzed in.

Oops, yeah, you're right.
    I've actually seen that when working in some jails, servicing their cameras and fire alarms.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Are we allowed to carry into a police station?

Consider framing it differently when asking questions of this nature for those readers who may not understand how laws work:

Are we prohibited from carrying into a police station?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Ok, I'll choose my wording better.

Is there against the law to carry your gun, concealed or other wise inside a police station?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    There's no maybe with the law. You are either legally allowed to or it is illegal to do so...there can't be a grey area

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    There is nothing illegal about carrying into a police station because it is a police station.

However, if the building houses other institutions which are prohibited places, such as some court rooms etc., it may then be illegal to carry into that police station.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    There's no maybe with the law. You are either legally allowed to or it is illegal to do so...there can't be a grey area
    The law is full of maybe.
    It is illegal to shoot someone... Except in self defense... Or enemy combatants in time of war... Or in defense of another...

No handguns signs don't carry the weight of law in Indiana... Unless the building contains a courthouse ...

and so on...

Top Bottom