• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    This. To save time and because I've answered this question so many times before, I'm just going to quote myself from another thread to tack on to this. Note the "Trigger affirmation" in ModernGunner's post. People do it. They don't think they do it.

BBI, quick question. How long does it typically take to process and return a gun to its owner after they were cleared in the shooting?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    He's a world class bull-shipper. He does not turn US Marshal Glock's to full-auto when VIP's come to town, doesn't work on Secret Service Glock's (since SS uses SIG's), etc, etc. YMMV, but I wouldn't let him work on a cap gun, let alone a pistol my life depends on.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm in the camp of people that think anything less than 4 or 4.5lb trigger is too light for carry/duty. Due to adrenaline/stress/nerves as others have mentioned.

It's hard to simulate that stress and train for how to act when you experience it. Competition shooting really helped me feel some of that. Things go on autopilot and your subconscious runs the show.

I don't have an opinion on the legal liability of a modified trigger.

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the info guys. I had heard that glock doc was bad news, but not until it was too late. I think I will be du pin that one and replace it with a factory 23. I will not let him work on my pistols again!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Regardless, the way law enforcement is taking people's guns, even in the case of good shoots, and making it all but impossible to get them back, DON'T put too much money into your carry gun.

i.e. Only carry guns you can stand to lose, and buy multiple copies so you won't be defenseless in the case where it gets taken.
    You may NEVER get it back.

Example:
    Impatience grows over IMPD property room backlog - TheIndyChannel.com

I just have to disagree Ed, I doubt I will ever use my EDC to shoot someone. I hope and pray that situation never occurs. However, I want the most reliable, accurate, user friendly firearm I can purchase if that ever happens! I currently carry a Kimber Solo, it is small enough and light enough I can carry it without discomfort, so I ALWAYS carry it. It is accurate and reliable.

In the event I am forced to shoot someone, the cost or loss of any firearm is about the last concern I will have. What price do you put on your (or some other innocent persons) life? If the gun is confiscated after doing its job, it has been worth much more than the replacement cost. Money would not be a concern if I would have to shoot someone. I will soon be 74 YO, have carried for many years and have yet to draw my gun for defense. As the odds of my (or any law abiding person) having to shoot someone is less than being struck by lightning, I certainly will carry the best I can afford.

As for a "lightened" trigger, I have never been able to shoot accurately with a real light trigger. Due to my second job, my fingers and hands became quite strong, but I lost some sensitivity in my fingers, and by the time I felt the trigger on very light triggers the gun fired! As long as the trigger is smooth, length of pull reasonable, I could shoot quite and could hold my own in just about any target shooting (when I was younger). Having old eyes has affected my accuracy somewhat, especially with rifles at 200 yds or more.
    My eyes haven't affected my handgun shooting as much but still can't shoot well with a light trigger.

Even if I could shoot a hair trigger well, knowing what excitement and tension can do, I certainly would not carry a self defense handgun with a lightened trigger.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just have to disagree Ed, I doubt I will ever use my EDC to shoot someone. I hope and pray that situation never occurs. However, I want the most reliable, accurate, user friendly firearm I can purchase if that ever happens! I currently carry a Kimber Solo, it is small enough and light enough I can carry it without discomfort, so I ALWAYS carry it. It is accurate and reliable.

In the event I am forced to shoot someone, the cost or loss of any firearm is about the last concern I will have. What price do you put on your (or some other innocent persons) life? If the gun is confiscated after doing its job, it has been worth much more than the replacement cost. Money would not be a concern if I would have to shoot someone. I will soon be 74 YO, have carried for many years and have yet to draw my gun for defense. As the odds of my (or any law abiding person) having to shoot someone is less than being struck by lightning, I certainly will carry the best I can afford.

As for a "lightened" trigger, I have never been able to shoot accurately with a real light trigger. Due to my second job, my fingers and hands became quite strong, but I lost some sensitivity in my fingers, and by the time I felt the trigger on very light triggers the gun fired! As long as the trigger is smooth, length of pull reasonable, I could shoot quite and could hold my own in just about any target shooting (when I was younger). Having old eyes has affected my accuracy somewhat, especially with rifles at 200 yds or more.
    My eyes haven't affected my handgun shooting as much but still can't shoot well with a light trigger.

Even if I could shoot a hair trigger well, knowing what excitement and tension can do, I certainly would not carry a self defense handgun with a lightened trigger.

Larry, I certainly respect your right to disagree, though in theory I agree with your point about the "replacement cost".
    I've also never had the need for lightened triggers either.

But in practical terms, if God forbid I'm forced to use my EDC (Sig P229 .357Sig caliber) in self defense, and it's taken by the police for an open ended amount of time, I don't have the $1,000+ to replace it at this point.

This is a proven reliable EDC pistol that I trust with my life, it fits me well, and in the 31+ years I've been carrying it takes time to arrive at that trust of any pistol.

So I would be forced to carry a cheaper/ lesser pistol that I'm not able to reach the same proficiency with due to it's limitations.

And adding in the fact that even in a "good shooting", it's not unheard of that family/friends of the perp may ideas of payback, I'd rather have my best chance in defending that.

Top Bottom