• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Go for it! I bet most of us will agree with you. Heck I will start. I would probably carry that little NAA revolver before a micro .380. I mean if you have to go small then go small. Even with hollow points those little 380s don't have enough barrel to make them expand reliably and if the bullet does expand it won't penetrate. Carrying one of those as a matter of ease or convenience is just plain silly. Carrying one because you have no other option is making a choice between the mouse gun and a sharp stick. Personally if given the choice between a KelTec anything or LCP and a stick......I would take the stick.

Jframe stoked up with the right .38 spl ammo and a slicked up trigger is not even in the same league as a little .380. So far I just haven't found anything I would rather trust on the ankle, in a pocket or in a deep concealment role.

These me are my opinions. Let's open up the whole can of butthurt. It's Monday morning after all.

IMO carrying a .38 special is not being undergunned.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glock-27, .40, most everywhere I go. Don't leave home without it.

My G27 has been getting a lot of carry time this summer. It's about as small as I will go for normal carry, but it's still not my first choice. It does work well when wearing shorts and mowing the grass or working on the car though.

1. YOU have good opinions, and I enjoy reading them.
    2. It wouldn't be INGO if everyone kept their opinions to theirselves ;)

INGO without opinions would be a very quiet place.

I'll admit, I had my doubts about the Glock 43. But, I'll now say that is the smallest gun I'd ever carry. It's like shooting the Glock 26, but with less rounds and a thinner grip. :)

I've been toying with adding the G43 to my carry list for those times when I need deep concealment. My current deep concealment gun is a Sig P238, but my son borrowed it about 2 months ago and I have no seen it since.

I'm thinking about trying to carry only a full size Sig 1911 for the entire month of September. That's been my nighstand gun and I have good leather for it, but don't carry it much. It carries well, but can be hard on furniture if I'm not careful. If I can go a solid month with only that one gun, then it might break me out of my thought that I need to carry mid-size guns and save the full size for nightstand duty.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have never understood why people seem to gravitate to guns that shoot so poorly. Will the ease and comfort of a tiny gun be worth it when you have to use it to defend your life? I am sure a lot of folks will come in and defend their little plastic guns but I just don't see how one of those is going to match up to a compact or full size gun.

Agreed. They aren't going to. That is sadly not what most people are looking at though. That is why I recommend that whatever you carry you should be able to shoot to some kind of standard with it. Something a little more stringent than I can empty it at 3 feet and hit something. This assures that you have enough gun for the combination of the hardware and each individuals ability.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well clearly that depends. For someone like VERT under most situations it probably isn't, for someone who never practices with it and cant hit the broad side of a barn and runs into more than one determined attacker, well.

Very true. I guess I assume that people will practice diligently with whatever they are going to carry even though I know that isn't true.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well clearly that depends. For someone like VERT under most situations it probably isn't, for someone who never practices with it and cant hit the broad side of a barn and runs into more than one determined attacker, well.

You are giving me to much credit where it isn't due. I am horrible about practicing with my J frame. Kind of the ultimate definition of a gun that is easy to carry and horrible to shoot.

I will admit that I often carry my little revolver around the house. Let's face it when I am at home sometimes I just don't want 2 lbs of steel or plastic hanging on me.

The other problem not being addressed is carry method. Deep concealment is not fast! When you need a gun you need it right now. Gun on the belt is about as fast and secure as a person can get. Other methods lack. But other methods might be the only option.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    k. But other methods might be the only option.

We tend to forget (or at least I do) that there are plenty of folks who legitimately fit into this category. Not a fraction of as many who claim to, but still quite a few. We have to remember not to marginalize them. If I get caught carrying at work it wouldn't be a big deal, for some people it could be there job, or even their career.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    We all know there are no perfect combinations, and everything is a trade-off. I have a small Sig P938 as my main CCW, and with the right ammo, is pretty lethal as long as I stay proficient with it, but will it stand up to a bunch of guys with a whole cadre of full-sized pistols and a small truckload full of AR15s? Of course not. I just don't care for carrying a full-sized pistol every day, especially in the summer months.

You can't prepare for every possible situation, so you have to do your best to cover what you consider to be your biggest chances for a threat, and train well, that is really all you can do when you are away from your house "doing life".

We all have different definitions for what the above sentence means to them, and at some point, you have to take your best shot and then be prepared to live with what you have on your hip.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We tend to forget (or at least I do) that there are plenty of folks who legitimately fit into this category. Not a fraction of as many who claim to, but still quite a few. We have to remember not to marginalize them. If I get caught carrying at work it wouldn't be a big deal, for some people it could be there job, or even their career.

My company has a no weapons policy so I can not carry at work in spite of my boss being pro-carry. It is important to remember that we carry guns for our families security. Having a good job also provides for the security of the family.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm happy with my springfield xds 9mm. 7,8, and 9 round mags. 4 inch barrel. Less than 1 inch wide. I couldn't ask for a more compact service weapon.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Go for it! I bet most of us will agree with you. Heck I will start. I would probably carry that little NAA revolver before a micro .380. I mean if you have to go small then go small. Even with hollow points those little 380s don't have enough barrel to make them expand reliably and if the bullet does expand it won't penetrate. Carrying one of those as a matter of ease or convenience is just plain silly. Carrying one because you have no other option is making a choice between the mouse gun and a sharp stick. Personally if given the choice between a KelTec anything or LCP and a stick......I would take the stick.

Jframe stoked up with the right .38 spl ammo and a slicked up trigger is not even in the same league as a little .380. So far I just haven't found anything I would rather trust on the ankle, in a pocket or in a deep concealment role.

These me are my opinions. Let's open up the whole can of butthurt. It's Monday morning after all.

I understand everyone has their own opinion but comments like "id take the stick" over a LCP dont really make alot of sense. So your saying a LCP wont kill a person??

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I understand everyone has their own opinion but comments like "id take the stick" over a LCP dont really make alot of sense. So your saying a LCP wont kill a person??

Not a question whether and no doubt a .380 out of a short barrel will kill somebody.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

My goal in a defensive situation is not to kill a person but to stop them quickly. Though VERT may be engaging in a bit of hyperbole, his opinion is not far off from my own. If the stick was stout (like a club), or pointy (like a spear), I may also consider using the stick, at least at close ranges, over the short barrel .380.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are an infinite number of defensive situations possible and sometimes you just have to accept the fact that a gun cannot be used to mitigate every threat. For instance, if you work in a non-permissive environment, but carry deeply concealed anyway, you have the ability to defend yourself and others in the office, assuming you have time to draw after hearing the first shots. But, that same deeply concealed weapon may do you no good if you are suddenly jumped on the way to your car. If you opt instead for a smaller gun with pocket carry, you are better protected when you go to the car but would not be as well equipped if you were confronted with an active shooter with a rifle.

It's all a compromise. Every day, I evaluate what my environment is and I carry what I think is appropriate. There is a big difference in what I feel comfortable with when having a cup of coffee at my mothers house than when I'm up in the city around 38th street helping a friend fix a car.

Top Bottom