• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Size matters. You heard it on :ingo: first.

Hey, wait a minute. I thought that you 9mm guys were the ones to preach that it's less about size and more about your skill using it! Then again, maybe it's capacity. Sometimes you have to stay in there and work at getting the job done and if you've shot your wad before that happens, well, it's a bad thing.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Hey, wait a minute. I thought that you 9mm guys were the ones to preach that it's less about size and more about your skill using it! Then again, maybe it's capacity. Sometimes you have to stay in there and work at getting the job done and if you've shot your wad before that happens, well, it's a bad thing.

I carry a 9mm all the time. It's the only caliber I own at the moment. But I know other calibers perform better. One of the many compromises. I draw the line there. Everyone draws it somewhere.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a 9mm all the time. It's the only caliber I own at the moment. But I know other calibers perform better. One of the many compromises. I draw the line there. Everyone draws it somewhere.

Sorry, just having a bit of fun with the size comment. There's nothing wrong with 9mm and I sometimes think I should consolidate on one caliber. It sure would simplify my reloading setup if I only had one set of brass, bullets, primers and powders to worry about. I just don't know which caliber I'd go with. I love shooting 9mm, .40 and .45. Choosing one would be like choosing only one of my kids.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Sorry, just having a bit of fun with the size comment. There's nothing wrong with 9mm and I sometimes think I should consolidate on one caliber. It sure would simplify my reloading setup if I only had one set of brass, bullets, primers and powders to worry about. I just don't know which caliber I'd go with. I love shooting 9mm, .40 and .45. Choosing one would be like choosing only one of my kids.

Well, this time I didn't really do it purposely. It's just how it worked out. I will have a .45 again, someday.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Never thought I would wind up with Ruger LC9s and a LCP :dunno: Am I getting old or what?

If you feel old because you have a LCP and an LC9, then I must be old also. I’ve owned the LCP for a while, I kept it on my motorcycle when I used to ride. I just recently purchased the LC9. I never carry either gun on my person, I just keep them close at hand, in case I might have a need. I thought that I was old because I am a diehard revolver guy, that and because I carry a NAA Guardian in 32 ACP. Rarely do you ever hear someone admit that they carry a gun chambered in 32 ACP. I like my Guardian so well that I bought another in case something happened to the original. I pretty much a firm believer, that if you are comfortable with what you carry and it makes you feel safe, then it’s enough gun.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would add a cautionary note against being lulled into a false sense of security. Whatever one chooses to carry it would be well advised to become familiar with it and proficient enough to get beyond just "feeling safe" if ever the need should present itself.

Rvansickle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2015
    Greencastle
    The glock 42 has rooted all others out of my carry routine. Far more concealed than the 27 and way more accurate than the lcp. I haven't found anything better.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    To each his own but I just don't do mouseguns except as bugs. In my law enforcement career, which transitioned from the wheelgun era to self-loaders I simply witnessed far too many failures of handguns in the .38/9mm class, and in a couple of those situations my brother officers survived only by virtue of Karma and not our issue sidearms.

Any projectile that I fire for effect in a serious social encounter will be fat and slow. If it doesn't start with a "4" I regard it as being for recreational purposes and nothing else.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have never understood why people seem to gravitate to guns that shoot so poorly. Will the ease and comfort of a tiny gun be worth it when you have to use it to defend your life? I am sure a lot of folks will come in and defend their little plastic guns but I just don't see how one of those is going to match up to a compact or full size gun.

If I have to worry about my marksmanship skills from 3-7 yards away I have bigger issues then what I am carrying. My Glock 27 holds 9 rounds of 40 S&W. I guess I could carry a Smith & Wesson Combat Masterpiece with a 8-3/8" barrel and be able to 'defend' myself from 50 yards. But at the ranges where self defense engagements occur? Anything small enough to carry comfortably .380 and up is fine by me.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    The glock 42 has rooted all others out of my carry routine. Far more concealed than the 27 and way more accurate than the lcp. I haven't found anything better.

I have both the 42 and 27. I don't know about FAR more concealable. I mean it is more concealable. But the difference is what?? .10 inches narrower and maybe 1/2" shorter, 3/8" less tall? Somewhat lighter as well, but with the right holster that is irrelevant for the most part.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was able to pickup a Shield last night and am going to test drive it a bit. I have shot and had several of these apart but never actually owned one. I thought it might be have a bit too much foot print for my needs. But to my surprise it might actually fit better then a Glock 26. The difference in thickness and bit shorter barrel makes a difference for my particular application.

As as far as distance is concerned yes 2 - 7 yards covers many situations. But longer shoots are entirely possible as well

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If I have to worry about my marksmanship skills from 3-7 yards away I have bigger issues then what I am carrying.

I know we're all sharp-shooting operators on the internet, but those 3-7yd shots are still pretty challenging when everyone is moving, adrenaline is pumping, and bullets are flying both ways. I'll take every advantage I can get, including carrying a full size gun in a proven caliber.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I know we're all sharp-shooting operators on the internet, but those 3-7yd shots are still pretty challenging when everyone is moving, adrenaline is pumping, and bullets are flying both ways. I'll take every advantage I can get, including carrying a full size gun in a proven caliber.

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

Valid point. But you lose that tactical advantage if what you are trying to carry is so cumbersome you leave it at home or in your car. I used to carry (attempt to) a full sized colt 1911. That got old fairly quickly and it ended up left at home more than not. The greatest thing about the modern era firearms is the ability to get a round of proven performance, with sufficient capacity, in a platform that is still comfortable. There are some exceptional examples of carry weapons on the market that 10 years ago weren't possible.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Valid point. But you lose that tactical advantage if what you are trying to carry is so cumbersome you leave it at home or in your car. I used to carry (attempt to) a full sized colt 1911. That got old fairly quickly and it ended up left at home more than not. The greatest thing about the modern era firearms is the ability to get a round of proven performance, with sufficient capacity, in a platform that is still comfortable. There are some exceptional examples of carry weapons on the market that 10 years ago weren't possible.

I wince every time I hear that argument.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

You got it brother. I went to a shooting call where two people emptied the mouseguns at each other inside a sml bedroom and there was only one hit between them. We found the guy that actually got hit outside in the snow bleeding from the chest wound but he turned out to be fine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom