• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Yes you should still be prepared for a life threatening event whether you are consuming alchohol or not. But alcohol can quickly alter your judgement of what is life threatening, and what interventions could be taken to prevent such an incident from happening anyway.

I'm sure everyone has encountered a drunk person who has taken something so small and turned it into an argument. Whether they initiate a confrontation or you do, if you have a firearm you have assumed the responsibility of being able to rightfully determine whether a threat can be avoided or else eliminated.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I always carry no matter where im at, if i know im going to be at a bar or wherever and im carrying i will only have 1-2 beers. Carrying is a privilege that i would not want taken away because i could not make a decision properly do to alcohol.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I always carry no matter where im at, if i know im going to be at a bar or wherever and im carrying i will only have 1-2 beers. Carrying is a privilege that i would not want taken away because i could not make a decision properly do to alcohol.

No, it isn't. It is an inalienable right. Now, that isn't to say you can't have that right restricted.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    When I am carrying, I typically don't seek out a drink, like with dinner, etc.

However if I am doing something social where drinks are being served I might have a single beer, but never a second or more.

I try to treat drinking while carrying like driving. If I'm not sober enough to drive, I'm not sober enough to carry. Both are lethal weapons that can be devastating under control of someone under the influence.

I think this sums things up perfectly.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I carry everywhere I can legally. I also drink when I feel like it. Sometimes I even get a little drunk:nailbite:

Usually it is at home or at the home of a friend, but I don't drink and drive and I don't act like an idiot when I drink. Even if I do go to bar I don't run my mouth off looking for trouble and I make sure I have a ride home. I guess I just don't worry about carrying all that much. I don't leave my pocket knife at home if I'm going out for a drink.

Some of you in this thread make the temperance movement seem like a keg party.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Whether you choose to get 'hammered', or are a tea-totaler, you're still responsible for every shot discharged from the firearm you carry.

As noted earlier, the positive is that we (in Indiana) live in a State where that decision is YOUR decision, and not one made for you by some scu... er, uh, politician.

There's another take on this subject. If one is of the mindset that they 'need' or 'must' leave their firearm behind because they might be out of control or be incapable of using good judgement when they decide to drink, one must really question whether this same person is actually 'in control' or using sound judgment when they're not drinking?

Alcohol is not a 'changer', it's an 'amplifier'. Therefore, if that person has the personality type that loses control, that personality type remains, whether or not that person imbibes. It is only suppressed, hidden, covered up when not drinking. If it's not alcohol that, then 'sets them off' to a course of poor judgment, it's just a matter of what will, because the basic personality type doesn't change.

If someone isn't to be trusted when they've had a few because they might 'pull out their gun and start waving it around', then they can't be trusted with it when their stone-cold sober, either. JMO.

THEY even know this, because they already know to leave their firearm at home when they elect to drink. They just hide that 'little detail' when they're not drinking. THEY might trust themselves when they're not drinking, and sober, but that sure as hell doesn't mean others should.

That pretty much sums up the judgment/behavior question.

There is also the physical question (reflexes and control). Personally, I think I'd be worse off after caffeine than after a glass of wine.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    That pretty much sums up the judgment/behavior question.

There is also the physical question (reflexes and control). Personally, I think I'd be worse off after caffeine than after a glass of wine.

I agree - Whether it be when I was riding the Harley or when I am CCW, I usually refrain, but if I do I have a 1 adult beverage limit. Alcohol does effect your mental acuity and physical motor skills. And IF you have to discharge your weapon, there is the legal ramifications. Most states have laws, I'm mostly sure, about carrying and drinking. I have a Federal HR218 CCW, due to being retired LEO, and it clearly states you can not be under the influence. So, that emphasizes the importance of booze and bullets.
    dusty88 - BTW looks like we'll be in the Alexandria area (still can't PM)

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    The only thing I CC when I go out is my cc.
    Unless it's my mah CHET tay, and it's been known to suck down a tequila or 2. My mah chet`tay gives me AUTHORITAH.
    I gave up drinking forever last night when I thought I saw a car with a pink mustache come for me.
    I may reconsider that decision tonight. Somebody else saw it too.

kim_zps9addb3f2.jpg

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Some of you in this thread make the temperance movement seem like a keg party.

I think that the very fact that the question is being discussed is proof of the opposite. Considering that the prevailing wisdom is that guns and alcohol are like sodium and water, the mere idea that people can handle both firearms and alcohol responsibly and simultaneously is far from resembling the temperance movement.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    "I gave up drinking forever last night when I thought I saw a car with a pink mustache come for me.
    I may reconsider that decision tonight. Somebody else saw it too."

When I was in IN over the weekend, I saw several vehicles w/ a rudolph red nose and antlers, and I wasn't even drinkin'.... I'm surprised the vehicles didn't have bullet holes, or broadheads, through 'em.

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    "I gave up drinking forever last night when I thought I saw a car with a pink mustache come for me.
    I may reconsider that decision tonight. Somebody else saw it too."

When I was in IN over the weekend, I saw several vehicles w/ a rudolph red nose and antlers, and I wasn't even drinkin'.... I'm surprised the vehicles didn't have bullet holes, or broadheads, through 'em.
    Might be the change of air between ND & IN.

Top Bottom