• mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I agree 100%
    I always aim for the drunk guys first. They're slow. :):
    I like your sense of humor. If someone walked into one of my family reunions he would have multiple targets. Seriously, sometimes it's hard to tell how much someone has had. My wife's uncle was hauled into court along with the private club he bartended at because he failed to notice a guy was getting plastered. The dude left the building, got in his car, turned onto a major county road and immediately crossed the center line and head-ond a young mother and killed her instantly.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Depends on if you actually had to use it, or your impaired brain only thought you did. Impairment equals greater odds of making those mistakes, the same as you make more mistakes driving or texting ex-girlfriends while impaired vs sober.

Intoxication isn't a defense. If you make a bad call that you wouldn't have made while sober, you're still eating it in both criminal and civil court.

Personally, I treat my gun like I treated my motorcycle. 1 beer per hour limit, and even that's rare these days.
    This. I've seen videos of people trying to drive an obstacle course with no, 1, 2, 3, etc drinks. They think they are doing fine and are shocked to see that they knock down more cones with more alcohol in them. They thought they were doing just fine.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    So it seems everyone agrees that drinking heavily and carrying is a bad idea..and irresponsible.

I still think someone full blown drunk has a right to defend himself , regardless of how well he will be able to do so.

just because someone made a decision to drink heavily doesn't mean they deserve to be a victim correct?
    Huh! If someone is falling down drunk how can he make any kind of decision, much less whether or not to use a gun on someone? You're kidding with this post, right?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Huh! If someone is falling down drunk how can he make any kind of decision, much less whether or not to use a gun on someone? You're kidding with this post, right?

Not at all. People make bad choices. Everyone here clearly does not drink while carrying. Neither do I.

My point is does an intoxicated individual have the same right to protect himself as anyone else?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    No matter what all these nuns who have never smelled alcohol let alone passed out naked in the kitchen will tell you, it all comes down to you. If you are to the point you are making bad decisions you shouldnt be in public period, with a gun or without one.
    Okay, I'm back. Had to go throw up over that visual. After having the likes of sisters Mary Godzilla, Mary Thug and Mary Butkus all those years ago I was not ready for that. In fact I pity the poor drunken burglar who might have stumbled into the convent. Yeowwwie!!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Not at all. People make bad choices. Everyone here clearly does not drink while carrying. Neither do I.

My point is does an intoxicated individual have the same right to protect himself as anyone else?
    I agree they certainly have the right but clearly not the ability at that point. That makes them criminally liable for any misuse of the weapon should they do a "bad shoot" or injury a bystander.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I agree they certainly have the right but clearly not the ability at that point. That makes them criminally liable for any misuse of the weapon should they do a "bad shoot" or injury a bystander.

How does that differ from a sober person being criminally liable for the same?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Probably not much different except being wasted would be pretty hard to claim you "felt" you were in danger.

Since feeling you were in danger (regardless of your mental state) is not an exception to a bad shoot, inebriation level still wouldn't be a factor.

A reasonable person standard is what is contemplated when determining exception to use force.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Technically "drunk drivers," just over the limit, go to jail every day for doing nothing other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Completely unavoidable accidents such as pedestrians and bicyclists darting into their immediate pathway seem to matter not, with the complete fault going to the impaired driver. People know this, that's why they leave the scene.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ?

I doubt anyone will be able to defend themselves while passed out, they certainly won't be able to shoot at pink elephants either.

That's kinda up to you. You're passed out on the floor with your .357 at hand. The cops have to make forcible entry because no one could raise you, but they could see you on the floor...

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I think the OP was bringing up the question of socially drinking while carrying, I think maybe that is an extreme example/scenario.
    If he is asking about being totally sheeetfaced while carrying I think the answer is obvious.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The questions can be asked for many situations. Your drinking at home and have to be given a ride somewhere .. Do you choose not to bring protection?

i just don't feel someone deserves to become a victim because they chose to drink. Maybe this is part of the reason there isn't a law against it? :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The questions can be asked for many situations. Your drinking at home and have to be given a ride somewhere .. Do you choose not to bring protection?

i just don't feel someone deserves to become a victim because they chose to drink. Maybe this is part of the reason there isn't a law against it? :dunno:

You keep asking the same questions. Are you asking for permission or forgiveness?

Top Bottom