• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    I have a wonderful SW MP 40 shield that is my EDC now. But where to put those extra 7 round mags? Any suggestions on a brand and type of pouch or "holder" for CC of magazines on the off side? I have looked around, but being rather new to this game I figured I'll turn to the experts. :ingo:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    HPclayto (member) has made me a few pocket mag carriers with a clip for my EDC. Very discreet, just the clip shows outside of the pocket, and the mag comes out slicker than greased snot.

2wn0os5.jpg

Here's a pic.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well, after many many years of carrying one for a living, I have never felt the need to carry a extra Mag with me after retireing.
    I also have never felt the need to carry while I'm mowing the lawn, working in the yard, in my garage or around the house. I walk in and set my pistol in its holster on a table in the living room and it sits there until I am leaving the next time. I just don't live my life that way. Never have and never will.

I carry a 226 - 9mm.
    If it goes past that .... I have already exited " Stage Left "

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Well, after many many years of carrying one for a living, I have never felt the need to carry a extra Mag with me after retireing.
    I also have never felt the need to carry while I'm mowing the lawn, working in the yard, in my garage or around the house. I walk in and set my pistol in its holster on a table in the living room and it sits there until I am leaving the next time. I just don't live my life that way. Never have and never will.

I carry a 226 - 9mm.
    If it goes past that .... I have already exited " Stage Left "

I think you have a valid point, especially with a lot of high capacity magazines. If for whatever reason you get through 15-17 rounds in a 9mm, and things are still bad, you may have an issue. I can only assume an extra mag would be more of a comfort thing for most? Now, I'm still very new to carrying, and firearms in general, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Just my understanding thus far.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think you have a valid point, especially with a lot of high capacity magazines. If for whatever reason you get through 15-17 rounds in a 9mm, and things are still bad, you may have an issue. I can only assume an extra mag would be more of a comfort thing for most? Now, I'm still very new to carrying, and firearms in general, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Just my understanding thus far.

More ammunition is only one reason to carry additional (not spare) magazines, and perhaps not near the top of the list. The most common pistol malfunctions are magazine related, ranging from mechanical issues with the magazine itself to the mag dropping out of the gun because it was never seated properly or you accidentally pressed the mag release as a bad time. Have an additional magazine can quickly become your primary or only magazine under those circumstances.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If I had a 200 round magazine in my pistol, I'd carry a spare. Ever see someone get the floor plate of their magazine shot off or it just fall off and dump their rounds, or hit the mag release accidentally and send their mag skidding along the floor? I have, at least on surveillance video.

Probably never matter, but I always carry one reload for any gun on me. Psychologically comforting, if nothing else.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I had a 200 round magazine in my pistol, I'd carry a spare. Ever see someone get the floor plate of their magazine shot off or it just fall off and dump their rounds, or hit the mag release accidentally and send their mag skidding along the floor? I have, at least on surveillance video.

Probably never matter, but I always carry one reload for any gun on me. Psychologically comforting, if nothing else.

I know people who carry Glocks, ordinarily among the most reliable firearms ever made, with polymer +2 floorplates on them (usually Pearce or Glock brand). I have witnessed (in matches and classes combined) more failures of those +2 floorplates than I can count on two hands and the look of shock on the shooter was always amusing. It's the ultimate speed unload and no one thinks it can or will happen to them . . . until it does.

I have seen many people draw and present their guns and watch their mag fall to the ground. Sometimes, especially with double stack 9mm, the top round will reverse direction upon impact, thus rendering the magazine useless in the immediate time frame.

These are not unusual occurrences.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Hit the mag release by accident,.,., I'm left handed, I would really have to work hard to do that with my old carry.
    I would agree with Psychologically comforting with a extra Mag.
    Skidding across the floor.,.,. I was witness to my BU mod 60 skidding and bouncing down a sidewalk in Pigtown, Baltimore in the mits of a chase years ago.. That pistol came out of a Bianchi leather / sheepskin ankle holster. It had to go to a Smith for a full debur and polish..

Do people who carry a revolver carry a backup revolver for when the cylinder or crane on a revolver takes a bullet and makes it inopporable ?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    No they carry a BUG. If you're never going to have a malfunction, please tell me the winner of the fifth race at Acuaduct tommorow please.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hit the mag release by accident,.,., I'm left handed, I would really have to work hard to do that with my old carry.
    Skidding across the floor.,.,. I was witness to my BU mod 60 skidding and bouncing down a sidewalk in Pigtown, Baltimore in the mits of a chase years ago.. That pistol came out of a Bianchi leather / sheepskin ankle holster. It had to go to a Smith for a full debur and polish..

Do people who carry a revolver carry a backup revolver for when the cylinder or crane on a revolver takes a bullet and makes it inopporable ?

I do....

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I carry in a galco mag holster in my front left pocket if I am wearing shorts, and or pants that are loose enough to allow me to quickly get my hand in and the mag out. With most jeans or anything with pockets that are not as easily accessible (and sometimes anyway) I carry one on my belt in a horizontal mag holster made by Dale Fricke. I really like it. It would most certainly be an option for you. For some reason I like it and feel it hides better than the vertical a lot of times.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Actually I OC a 1911 cokced and locked at 3 o'clock, 2 mags at 9 o'clock and a bug in my strong pocket (in the same caliber, cocked and locked) for all of the reasons stated above.

I wear dockers with a collared shirt tucked every day, so OC works best. Within a month or so I will join the CC crowd for a few of months. I'll probably regress in the Spring.

Just carry, and please carry extra mags and or a bug.

I hope I'll never use my weapon outsole fun time but I'm prepared.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana

I know I retired officer that carries a second revolver that he calls his "reload".

There is no doubt that you are free to do as you wish.

It's hard to ignore the fact, that you might need a spare magazine, for a whole host of reasons. People have already mentioned that most stoppages with modern semi-autos are magazine related, anyone who trains enough will find out on their own...it's only a matter of time. If you are capable of carrying a firearm, you can make room for a magazine.
    Lastly, God forbid you are ever in a situation that requires more rounds than you are carrying because of multiple attackers, or a lone attacker that is on drugs.

Here is a link to a documented incident where an office shot a criminal 14 times with a .45cal handgun and the guy kept coming.

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job. Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty.

Even ignoring the fact that magazines can rectify most handgun stoppages...find one person that has ever been in a gunfight that wishes he had less rounds on his person during the fight.

Top Bottom