Charter Arms revolvers - decent, or junk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Reminds me of forty five years ago, sister headed for a PTA meeting.
    The ladies were waiting outside the school. She always packed a Charter snubby.

The chains weren't removed from the school door handles yet so my eight year old niece (being of the TV generation) said in her amazingly loud voice "Shoot the lock off Mommy!"

I suspect that was about when the ladies made my sister their leader in the PTA.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My Charter is the 416 stainless .41 Mag.
    They built it to the SAAMI dimensions without using the tolerances. I'm gonna have to shoot it to loosen it up but for break in will keep it squirted full of appropriate lubes instead of toothpaste. Will just have to shoot it a lot more to get the right feel. The revolver and me will both benefit.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The firing pins are supposed to be "unbreakable" but I have seen a few of them break. I have been carrying a Charter Bulldog Pug (.44 Spl.) since about '87 which means it's a first generation gun. Those guns were much better than the later ones. It has never failed to function yet. Jeff Cooper said the Charter was a gun that should be "carried a lot and shot a little" and unfortunately he was right about that. They are lightly built but if you don't abuse it with heavy duty hot loads they hold up just fine. Thing is you won't want to practice much with it at the range - the recoil is pretty brutal to most people. Rubber Pachmayr grips help immensely. The first time I took it to the range it still wore the OEM wooden grips. Never did that again. Numbah 10!!!. A lot of guys at the range have tried to buy it but I think I'll keep it. At 19 oz. you can literally carry it all day and not even notice it's on your belt. I have always been a huge fan of the .44 Spl cartridge. Back when you could buy gun parts on Ebay I bought a lot of spare parts so I should be able to keep it running for a long time. I bobbed a hammer and it's a slick setup. Someone above mentioned the .41 Mag. Charter. No thank you - that's more cowbell than I will ever need. I have N frame S&Ws in .41 if I want to get stupid.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I just picked up a a Mag Pug, I have owned Charter guns before, and no they are not Smiths, but they do the job well, can’t wait to get it to the range, ported barrel, and .357.., might kick….

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpeg
      IMG_4161.jpeg
      440.5 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_4160.jpeg
      IMG_4160.jpeg
      415.9 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_4159.jpeg
      IMG_4159.jpeg
      533.5 KB · Views: 7
    Top Bottom