Charter Arms revolvers - decent, or junk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    My father passed away September of last year and my mother gave me his Charter Arms Undercover 38SP. I have never had any experience or exposure to Charter Arms other than selling a pink one in the shop a few months ago. For me, I will keep this because it was my dad's and from playing with it I find it to be nothing extraordinary just a reliable, inexpensive revolver.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Like a lot of firearms, the older ones seem to have a nicer fit and finish. The firing pins are supposed to be unbreakable (being made of beryllium copper). I bought a stainless steel one in the late 70's when S&W model 60's were as scarce as hen's teeth. It has belonged to my oldest daughter since the mid 80's. I had a blued Undercover that was made in the 70's. I sold it for a song, but bought a similar used one about 7 years ago and it is a solid snub nose. The finish of the newer ones doesn't seem as nice, but I have handled them and they appear to be a good utilitarian revolver.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    A Charter Arms for self defense is just fine if you want an overpriced show piece buy the Colt.

As a side note I was comfortable carrying a 5 shot revolver until I was in Indianapolis waiting for someone and 3 guys walked by. Did the what if in my head and knowing that the majority of people survive being shot once decided to carry a pistol ever since.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    My buddy has a Charter Arms Duty, blue with wood grip, , 5-shot 38spl. It is 30 or more years old. His father-in-law was a big gun guy and purchased it for his daughter, my buddy's wife, for personal protection. Has not been shot in ages and was stored in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster. It has tiny rust spots sporadically on the gun as you would expect but not as bad as I feared.

What to do? Don't have a picture. Wondering if there is much of a market for these guns, obviously a project to put back into service? How difficult would it be for a couple of amateurs to clean this gun up. He has no sentimental attachment and I am pretty sure his does not either.

He is going to purchae a new 9mm pistol which I am encouraging so I told him I would make an inquiry about what to do with the revolver.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I carried one for close to 20 years( bought in 1989) good serviceable guns, trigger pul was good for me, if I could find one in my price range, Hell I'd buy it!!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Here's a target I shot double-action from 15 yards, standing unsupported. I was using my own .38 SPL load with 148 gr. hollow base wadcutters. I like the big blocky sights on the Charter Arms Undercover.
    pEPlks7.jpg

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I'm liking the .41.
    The 220 grain full wadcutters are easy shooting. Hot loaded GCSWC's aren't bad.
    One comment, the chambers are machined to the SAAMI specs without using up their tolerances so when you're crafting your ammo you need to plan accordingly.
    Eventually I'll get around to testing the HBWC's loaded reversed but finding the time is always something.

Post note for a passing thought about another one of those O-2-its.
    The old #410426 is still in the fun box to be tried out. I don't know but suspect that it might just behave like the unstable 38-200 loads of yesteryear but scaled up, on steroids.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been lusting a 44 special Charter Bulldog for some reason...does anyone have experience with one? Is the recoil tolerable?

I had 2 of these. They were reliable enough hat 1 was my BUG and the other now resides in my daughters possession. She would not give it up no matter the reason. She loves it.

ZebLocke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2013
    Anderson
    I carried a bulldog for a few years. retired it from carry duty and shot the daylights out of it at the range. it took a few rounds to figure out the holdover on the fixed sight, but once dialed in was capable of hitting clay birds at 50 yards. (clay birds resting on a berm, not flying through the air)

I will have another.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have the 44 special and put a spring kit and stoned the action to smooth it a bit. Not the prettiest girl at the prom but is fun to party with. My brother bought me some of those nasty assed wadcutters that are loaded HOT!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The #410426 round nose mold is dropping at 255 grains with wheel weights and if the case is crimped in the crimp groove then the loaded cartridge overall length will be about .1" too long for the Charter cylinder. Maybe it'll get a gi-hugeous hollow point added to the blocks to make it fit the cylinder length.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have shot a few but never owned one. They seem a little on the "fragile" side to me.

This reminded me of a time when a friend of mine was telling me about the virtues of his Charter Arms snub nose and how it has worked so well for him. He had it in his hand and dropped it bending the ejector rod when the cylinder came open on impact.

I'm sure it could happen to others but I thought the timing of it was ironic.

Top Bottom