• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I've seen several threads where members express distaste for Cheaper Than Dirt. I'm just wondering why people don't like the online store. My experiences have been pretty good so far. Thanks in advance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Many folks don't like them due to their rather high price hikes right after Obama was elected. They raised their prices just to cash in on paranoia.

Said folks like to throw around the term "price gouging", even though the above scenario isn't even remotely price gouging.

-J-

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Many folks don't like them due to their rather high price hikes right after Obama was elected. They raised their prices just to cash in on paranoia.

Said folks like to throw around the term "price gouging", even though the above scenario isn't even remotely price gouging.

-J-
    i think this happened to all gun related things.....and gas

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    The day after the shooting of the Congresswomen in Arizona Cheaper than Dirt had a 50 round box of 9mm Remington 115 gr FMJ for $44..... Not a fan since then.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i have only had positive buying interactions with them on a few purchases. one of which was recieve the next day which i was super excited about

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    I have had nothing but positive experiences with CTD. Not really the best prices, but fast shipping. I would rather take my business to Bravo Company or Midway USA.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i love cheaper than dirt. i only buy from them when i do price research, but i am very happy when i do buy from them. i wish there shipping was cheaper, but man is it fast.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I dislike the scare tactic sales ads run. I have never had a problem when I ordered stuff from them. They replaced a free binocular that came with my last order that fedex broke, this was about 7 years ago.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I never noticed the price increases after the election. Seems like they've gone up everywhere. Shipping is high but fast.

If you didn't notice the price increases both BEFORE and AFTER Obama's election, along with the scare tactic advertising, along with the "SPECIAL SALE" prices that were often DOUBLE the MSRP price, then you were simply not paying attention. 9mm practice ammo for $45 a box? PMags on sale for $39.95 each? WTF!?!

As for you comment that prices had gone up everywhere, then again you were not paying attention. Other companies, at the same time, were offering PMags for $9.95 to $14.95 each. Other companies didn't jack up their prices.

Seems like every national tragedy is just an opportunity to take advantage of customers for Cheaper Than Dirt. They are not serving the gun owner community, they are simple opportunists preying on fears and the weakest among us who have poor shopping skills and a lack of moral conviction.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Its a free market folks. Don't like their prices, don't buy from them. If they have something you want and no one else does, be prepared to pay for it. Economics 101.

No one at CTD was forcing anyone to buy anything. Simple supply and demand, we all graduated high school I would assume. Supply is low and demand is high, price goes up. Supply is high and demand is low, price goes down.

Its not a moral issues, its not an issue about serving the gun community. Its a business, no more no less.

But I am sure if pmags are in limited supply, you good folks would sell yours for what you paid for them even if someone was willing to give you twice what you paid. I mean it would be the moral thing to do right. lol

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Its a free market folks. Don't like their prices, don't buy from them. If they have something you want and no one else does, be prepared to pay for it. Economics 101.

No one at CTD was forcing anyone to buy anything. Simple supply and demand, we all graduated high school I would assume.
    True and I totally agree with you up to this point.

Supply is low and demand is high, price goes up. Supply is high and demand is low, price goes down.
    But this is where you clearly FAIL.

CTD doesn't wait for high demand or low supply to raise their prices. They push fear and raise their prices even when supply is high/stable. Can you explain to me the Demand/Supply curve logic for why they jacked up prices on 9mm ammo the DAY AFTER Congresswoman Giffords (D-AZ) was shot in Arizona? There was no increased demand. There was no shortage of supply.

These people play to paranoia and take advantage of the weak minds that live for paranoia.

Buy from them if you will. There is a term for CTD customers: SUCKERS

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon

No one at CTD was forcing anyone to buy anything. Simple supply and demand, we all graduated high school I would assume. Supply is low and demand is high, price goes up. Supply is high and demand is low, price goes down.

Its not a moral issues, its not an issue about serving the gun community. Its a business, they are trying to be profitable.

Do you not believe there's a place for morals in business? If I see a company using the kind of ethics like Cheaper than Dirt, I won't shop with them. Losing consumers in any way is damaging to a business and it's something that all of the great businesses know.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    I don't buy from CTD because MOST(not all) of the stuff they sell is cheap-o crap. I'll stick to BravoCompany, gandrtactical.com, or rainierarms.com

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Love CTD when I can't find something or its out of stock at one of my regular places. Always have good experiences with them. Great customer service. i don't mind what they do with their prices. If they are too high, Ill shop somewhere else. Free market and all that...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Its a free market folks. Don't like their prices, don't buy from them.

That is exactly right. And since the OP was questioning why people don't like CTD, people are also exercising their free market rights and explaining that CTD's habit of taking undue advantage of people's ignorance and deliberately trying to sow fear so they can take more advantage are why people are exercising their free market rights to not buy from them and to educate other people as to why they may not want to buy from them.

Free market doesn't mean that when a company does something you disagree with you stay silent on the matter.

I watched CTD double and triple their prices the day after Obama was elected and put out some very ominous advertising designed to increase the fear which helped create the artificial shortages.

I will never do business with a company whose ethics are like that. And that is MY free market right, along with making sure other people know what I think of their sleazy practices.

But hey, they have fast shipping and sometimes have the lowest price on some things, woohoo! If that's all that matters to some folks, that's their right too. At least they should make that decision with all the facts.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    True and I totally agree with you up to this point.

But this is where you clearly FAIL.

CTD doesn't wait for high demand or low supply to raise their prices. They push fear and raise their prices even when supply is high/stable. Can you explain to me the Demand/Supply curve logic for why they jacked up prices on 9mm ammo the DAY AFTER Congresswoman Giffords (D-AZ) was shot in Arizona? There was no increased demand. There was no shortage of supply.

These people play to paranoia and take advantage of the weak minds that live for paranoia.

Buy from them if you will. There is a term for CTD customers: SUCKERS

I disagree, I did not fail neither did the rules of economics. If people are willing to pay those prices, whatever the reason, then clearly the demand is there. The law holds true. Something is worth only what someone is willing to pay.

I cannot really comment too much on the raising of prices after the lady was shot as I have no knowledge of the situation. All I can say is that if people are buying strictly on paranoia, then caveat emptor.

If you are not informed enough to look at a different website or google a product before you buy online, that is on you. Same as if you buy a gun at Dons for twice its market value.

But what about my last statement in my previous post? If pmags are on unavailable for whatever reason. You have a bunch and people are willing to pay you $20 for something you paid $10, what are you going to do? You going to sell them and make a profit or are you going to sell them for what you paid?

What about local gun shops around the Obama election that were charging more than they did the year before? Are they morally corrupt and should have not raised their prices? What about ammo companies? Their prices have doubled or more in the last 10 years, the cost of raw materials hasn't doubled, its went up, but not double. What about them?

Its not like I am some loyal customer for CTD, I have placed two orders with them. If they have a good price on something I will buy from them, if they don't I will buy somewhere else. Its really not that big of a deal imo.

Do you not believe there's a place for morals in business? If I see a company using the kind of ethics like Cheaper than Dirt, I won't shop with them. Losing consumers in any way is damaging to a business and it's something that all of the great businesses know.

Of course I do, I am a business owner. However, this is not a moral issue imo. They are not forcing anyone to buy anything. If they are advertising "Buy this gun because its the one that killed Kennedy" or something like that, then you have some questionable morals and ethics. But raising the prices above everyone else is not a moral issue. If anything it should drive customers to other sites.

But you are right, it is your right to shop elsewhere. They made a decision and have to suffer the consequences either good or bad.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I understand you THINK you are not wrong about the 'rules of economics.' That doesn't mean that you are not actually wrong. And the fact that you admit to being ignorant of specific facts about CTD and their practices simply shows that PT Barnum was correct...a sucker is born every minute.

As I said earlier, there is a word for CTD customers: SUCKER

Top Bottom