• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Yes, BOTH the safeties work... darndest thing I've ever seen... a bolt action with two safeties! :laugh: :ugh:

2 safties?, DD are you sure one of them isn't a magazine cut off ?

Early 03's came with magazine cut-offs to allow the solider to fire single shots with out having to reload the magazine, the theory being they wouldn't blow through so much ammo.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    2 safties?, DD are you sure one of them isn't a magazine cut off ?

Early 03's came with magazine cut-offs to allow the solider to fire single shots with out having to reload the magazine, the theory being they wouldn't blow through so much ammo.

Yes, that's exactly what it is, but I didn't know it when I was at Rick's. I took a ton of grief from Rick and indy1919a4 for not knowing that. I was like, "Hey, this safety doesn't work!" :):

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, but I didn't know it when I was at Rick's. I took a ton of grief from Rick and indy1919a4 for not knowing that. I was like, "Hey, this safety doesn't work!" :):

It takes a big man to 'fess up on the forum when he embarrasses himself.

Now, can I interest you in a genuine sling for that rifle signed by Sgt. York, using a permanent Magic Marker so it won't rub off?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Now, can I interest you in a genuine sling for that rifle signed by Sgt. York, using a permanent Magic Marker so it won't rub off?

Wow! Signed by Sgt. York?! Cross your heart and hope to die?? :wow: Dangit... wish I'd known that before I ordered a plain old canvas web sling for it!

As for fessing up, I never miss an opportunity to make fun of myself. I have a never-ending supply of material. :):

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

Maybe it would be nice little addition to the tale for each of us to admit what happen the 1st time we found out about the on/off switch on a 1903..

To start off, I was at Whittakers admiring their 1903s when I could not figure out what the heck the switch was for.. Asked a clerk and he explained it was to make the rifle able to shoot single shot... I was gobsmacked.. I remember following him around pleading.. "Oh Come on, no one would do that, whats it really for". Finally the clerk motioned to the guy behind the desk who motioned for 3 burly guns to come out of the back of the store... Thank God I saw them out of the corner of my eye because then stopped what was going to be an ugly incident by saying "I will buy it"..

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Maybe it would be nice little addition to the tale for each of us to admit what happen the 1st time we found out about the on/off switch on a 1903..

To start off, I was at Whittakers admiring their 1903s when I could not figure out what the heck the switch was for.. Asked a clerk and he explained it was to make the rifle able to shoot single shot... I was gobsmacked.. I remember following him around pleading.. "Oh Come on, no one would do that, whats it really for". Finally the clerk motioned to the guy behind the desk who motioned for 3 burly guns to come out of the back of the store... Thank God I saw them out of the corner of my eye because then stopped what was going to be an ugly incident by saying "I will buy it"..

I've got more than one of them Sgt York slings if you're interested, Mike.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can you look around and make mine a Mickey Mantle, rookie year no less

Oooh, what about a Dick York??

Dick-York-Operation-Mad-Ball.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I was at a Louisville show a couple of years ago and I bought a "dough boy" helmet in real nice shape with a unit insignia painted on it...The guy adn I had dickered over the price for a bit and I finally got him down to the price I wanted and purchased the helmet...After I gave him the money I took the helmet and turned it over pulling back the liner and said......

"Who the hell is Cpl. A. C. York?"

The guy nearly fell over his table trying to grab the helmet back out of my hand as I pulled it away and said, "Just kidding man..."

I thought it was funny...He didn't apparently...He had just bought the helmet 10 minutes before I bought it.....

It was nice having the Canadians down for a visit.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, it took a lot longer than I had planned, but I finally got this to the range yesterday. It quickly became one of my favorite rifles! Accuracy was great (for me anyhow), rivaling my Swedish Mausers, even with milsurp ammo. After shooting for awhile though, it became apparent that I hadn't gotten all the cosmoline out of the stock as it started sweating out. I wasn't sure if it was the cosmo or the linseed oil I've been applying, but I suspect it was the cosmo. At any rate, the rifle lived up to my expectations! As the title of the thread indicated, this has been one of my bucket list guns and I couldn't be happier with it. :)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Ok I have to say that seeing the Magazine cut off in action was worth the price of the gun and then some.. There is something neat about single feeding the rifle, knowing that if needed you have a full magazine ready to go..

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I found my 03-A3 about a year or so ago. Had wanted one for a very long time. Mine has a little bit of a story behind it. A local guy had died and his son came back in town to empty out the house. The 03 along with an old 30-40 Krag was in the attic.
    He never even knew they were there. Said they had to have been there for 50+ years. He consigned them at the local show where I bought the pair.
    I sold the Krag and am in the 03 for a song. It's a 43' and looks to be un issued. Just a couple of small gouges in the stock, and I mean small, otherwise it's brand new. No grease on this one but plenty in the wood. First time I took it out to shoot, it looked like I had been changing my oil.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Ok I have to say that seeing the Magazine cut off in action was worth the price of the gun and then some.. There is something neat about single feeding the rifle, knowing that if needed you have a full magazine ready to go..

So you're saying both "safeties" worked properly?

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Admittedly I have had great fun over the years with the 1903 and the craziness of having the magazine cut off... BUT this is not the 1st time this idea was used... Looks like the US army wanted the same thing in the 1870s with the Spencer

Taken from the NRA web site on the Spencer...

The Spencer Carbine made its appearance during the Civil War, and many of these government-purchased arms were re-issued in the 1870s for service on the frontier. These guns utilized a spring-loaded seven-shot tube magazine that was located in the buttstock. In post-war models, a patented magazine cut-off prevented the breechblock from traveling far enough to the rear to accept a magazine-fed cartridge. This allowed soldiers to load and fire single rounds, with the ammunition contained in the magazine kept in reserve

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Heavens this thing just grows like the Blob around a diner...

Looks like Both the Krag and the Lee-Enfield around 1915 had a magazine cut off switch...

SMLEAction.jpg

Top Bottom