• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Motoguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Indiana
    My 2 cents, choose a first gun with decent resale value. After you find out what you like and don't like it's pretty common for people to flip.

Definitely go go big name and well regarded model.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    VERT gives good advice, but I think a new shooter really needs to shoot a bunch of guns before making up his mind. I liked the 1911 right away, over the XD, the Ruger, or the Glocks. So I picked it. If there was a Browning HP in there, I might have made a difference choice. JMB was truly a genius.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Love the Browning HiPower! One day I might be able to justify another one. I actually carried a HiPower when I lived in the Dakotas.

edit: Before somebody brings them up, yes the CZ 75b is an awesome gun as well.

Last edited:

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Very well written and a great starting point for people new to shooting. I also think just as important is spending a little time with an experienced trainer is money well spent for the beginner.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I also think just as important is spending a little time with an experienced trainer is money well spent for the beginner.

This is why VERT, myself, and other trusted cohorts are providing Familiarization and NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home at very reasonable prices for people in our area. The need for knowledge is great and we do what we can to help keep people safe and informed.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Gun snob in my opinion. Many guns out there that are a better value than the name brands listed. Just as reliable. Just as accurate. But way less money. I have owned all of them at one time or another. That is the ones he listed and their alternatives. For example: My current carry gun is a CZ82. Bought it for $125. Needed a slide stop spring which I acquired easily on line for $7. Never any failures of any kind, very accurate, holds 12+1 and many options for holsters. Just one example. There are many others.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Gun snob in my opinion. Many guns out there that are a better value than the name brands listed. Just as reliable. Just as accurate. But way less money. I have owned all of them at one time or another. That is the ones he listed and their alternatives. For example: My current carry gun is a CZ82. Bought it for $125. Needed a slide stop spring which I acquired easily on line for $7. Never any failures of any kind, very accurate, holds 12+1 and many options for holsters. Just one example. There are many others.

I thought you carried a .22 because 12 rounds of .22 to the face is the best way to stop a man.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The one thing I'd likely consider changing is the price chart. MSRP is easy to gather, but doesn't reflect what you'll actually pay. The Shield is routinely available online for under $350, for example. That may make a big difference to some folks.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    You know what they say about opinions and ass____. Everybody has one! LOL. I also enjoy a nice CZ but a snob Mr. Vert isn't maybe you should write something for beginners?psyko

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I see what you're saying, but for most newbies, if they bought a gun in 9x18 they would soon get frustrated with finding ammo for it. As far as general advice goes, Vert is dead on. Each person is different and some newbies might be okay with a CZ82. Overall, I see nothing wrong with Vert's list.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LOL Vert a gun snob.

I prefer gun whore! But I will accept snob if that is more appropriate. There is nothing wrong with appreciating nice things. I will stir the pot a bit. Yes I carry a Wilson Combat or Smith Performance Center commander. I have even run them in USPSA matches and pistol courses. My Wilson has been dropped, has rust on the rear sight from my ass sweat and the finish is rubbed off the muzzle. The finish on the scandium frame of Smith is messed up from holster wear. The front sight of my Jframe has a deep gouge from a tumble onto asphalt (damn ankle holster....junk). So if gun snob fits bring it! Both my wife and I work well over 40 every week so I might as well enjoy.

The one thing I'd likely consider changing is the price chart. MSRP is easy to gather, but doesn't reflect what you'll actually pay. The Shield is routinely available online for under $350, for example. That may make a big difference to some folks.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Problem is I hate quoting prices. I would much rather people go to a local shop for the service and advice instead of worrying about saving $20. I also hate to quote too low. Shops have to make money as well. With all the internet pricing today it is not hard to figure out a street price. At least MSRP gives people an idea of what the relative differences are.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    You know what they say about opinions and ass____. Everybody has one! LOL. I also enjoy a nice CZ but a snob Mr. Vert isn't maybe you should write something for beginners?psyko

I can't read or write!. If I did wright something for beginners, I would tell them to ignore this sites posts where someone tells them what to do. And there are plenty of those. Anyway newbies are not on this site. Just "experts".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can't read or write!. If I did wright something for beginners, I would tell them to ignore this sites posts where someone tells them what to do. And there are plenty of those. Anyway newbies are not on this site. Just "experts".

I never really considered myself an Expert. Thank you for the compliment and vote of confidence.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I never considered myself an expert. I'm a total noob. I've learned a lot from this site. If you pay attention you learn pretty quick who is full of it and whose opinion is at least based on some well-thought out principles. Even if I disagree with an opinion I like to try and see where they are coming from and what merits their argument has.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Nice writeup!

I'm glad the Ruger SR9c made your list. Being left-handed, the ambidextrous controls were important for my first-ever handgun/EDC.

One question: why leave out .380 in your list of calibers? Especially for first-time buyers (like my wife), the .380 may pretty much be the sweet spot. Plus, it opens up a wider range of handgun options. (My wife is not comfortable shooting or carrying my SR9c and knew that carrying a .22 was all but worthless; she is, however, quite comfortable shooting/carrying a Glock 42.)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    .380 is not that bad a caliber so long as it is chambered in a roughly 3.5" barreled gun. Otherwise it is a somewhat marginal cartridge in a firearm that can't take advantage of the rounds potential. Second issue is that .380 in today's market has become synonymous with pocket guns. Third .380 costs more and can be hard to find. Fourth it is a relatively low pressure cartridge and as such tends to be "quirky". Fifth there are a lot of sub par .380s on the market because they can be manufactured cheaper do to it being a low pressure cartridge. Many .380s are a simple blowback action like a 22.

I have not shot the Glock 42 but I am a fan of the size and concept. We did own a Walther PK380 that was a soft shooter but quirky. I am a fan of the Bersa Thunder.

Honestly a a full size M&P or Glock is as easy to handle as a mid sized .380. Get a group of ladies together without the hubbies around and it isn't long before the .380s get put away and the big boom boom (yes that is what one lady called them) come out of the bag. It really is about developing confidence and mindset. Now I do understand there are some instances where are larger caliber is not an option. Every situation is unique.

edit: I hope that nobody takes offense with my comments. Whatever gun you own is fine by me. By that I mean feel free to bring it down to an Intro personal Protection course or a steel match and run it for an afternoon. That will go a long way in telling you if the gun works for you. I would suggest USPSA match but those require more equipment and 9mm is the minimum cartridge.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have not shot the Glock 42 but I am a fan of the size and concept. We did own a Walther PK380 that was a soft shooter but quirky. I am a fan of the Bersa Thunder.

I'm not a Glock fan (I'm a Ruger guy), but thus far the Glock 42 has been perfect for her. (If only Ruger made a striker-fired version of the LC380, like they do with the LC9s...) My mom shoots a .380 Sig Sauer.

From my limited experience with the huge variety of handguns, I agree that finding a .380 that meets all of your criteria is far more difficult than with 9mm.

Honestly a a full size M&P or Glock is as easy to handle as a mid sized .380. Get a group of ladies together without the hubbies around and it isn't long before the .380s get put away and the big boom boom (yes that is what one lady called them) come out of the bag. It really is about developing confidence and mindset. Now I do understand there are some instances where are larger caliber is not an option. Every situation is unique.

In some/most cases, it comes down to developing confidence and mindset. Very petite women with smaller hands and no previous firearms experience can be intimidated by larger calibers. I'm again speaking anecdotally, based on an experience of one: again, my wife. She has very small hands, isn't particularly strong, and to top it off, has nerve damage that makes properly holding a full-sized Glock or a 1911 all but impossible.

So, I would say: keep it in mind as an option, at least for edge cases.

Top Bottom