• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I've never had a brand new firearm before.
    Is it ok to take a brand new firearm from the box directly to the range, or should I clean and lube it? I have not really found anything on google for this.

Thanks.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    shoot it, clean it later, I just bought a new SAR, cleaner than a baby's new diaper inside.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Better to be safe than sorry. Considering how little time it takes to clean a new firearm, it is worth the time spent. I have seen a new shotgun almost sold with a candy wrapper stuffed in the barrel (Child didn't want mom or dad to know she took some candy without permission so hid the wrapper!)

Although most firearms are test fired at the factory, you never know what shaving or metal particle might have been left behind even after first firing and they just got lucky before shipping.

roscoe38 said:
    shoot it, clean it later, I just bought a new SAR, cleaner than a baby's new diaper inside.

Guessing a Romanian SAR-1 AKM variant? Considering the newest one is 10 years old, would it be possible that a previous owner cleaned it before selling it? ;)

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I've never had a brand new firearm before.
    Is it ok to take a brand new firearm from the box directly to the range, or should I clean and lube it? I have not really found anything on google for this.

Thanks.

Give it a good cleaning and learn what's what, then lube it up real good for the first session. I have had several "New" guns that had issues (FTF and FTE) when going directly from the box to the range. Took them home disappointed, cleaned and lubed them and went back to range (just to make sure) and had NO issues.

Why risk a getting irritated with a brand new weapon. :twocents:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Take it apart and clean it per the instruction book that comes with your new gun. Everything I buy I have to take it apart just to see how the darn things work.
    Thankfully I can put guns back together.
    My GF bought me a max-cool remote controlled helicopter for Xmas last year. I can't get it back together for the life of me. It's not the only "toy" in pieces that came fully assembled.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Most modern firearms come from the manufacturing process pretty clean inside but in the past I have found some metal shaving, dirt, etc. inside. Worth checking everything out.

I also like to clean the barrel and dose it with a bit of penetrating oil (Kroil, in my case) to make fouling easy to push out.

Maybe this is all overkill and many just start shooting them without any seeming ill effects, but I think it's worth it.

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I always took my new guns apart and clean everything before using it. Even it labeled as new, you never know who fired it before testing it then put it in a box and put a Passed sign on it. Just to be safe. How much time does your hands and face worth? If you pulled the trigger on the uncleaned gun or unchecked gun, it could blow up on you if there is something inside the barrel you missed.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Clean it.

1) You will know it is clear of obstructions.
    2) You will know it is mechanically functional.
    3) You will familiarize yourself with the firearm.

Bonus: You get to enjoy it the night before shooting and think about how much fun the next day will be.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not detail strip them, and since I buy metal firearms, they are usually pretty oily from the factory. I still push a patch down the barrel to clean any rust preventative grease from the lands and grooves. Other than that, I do not do much.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    Take it apart and clean it per the instruction book that comes with your new gun. Everything I buy I have to take it apart just to see how the darn things work.
    Thankfully I can put guns back together.
    My GF bought me a max-cool remote controlled helicopter for Xmas last year. I can't get it back together for the life of me. It's not the only "toy" in pieces that came fully assembled.

^^^^^^^^^
    THIS

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Clean it.
    The test fire carbon and excess packing crap left in the barrel from the factory is still considered an obstruction.
    Do yourself a favor and at the very least, run a wet patch/dry patch or pull a boresnake through.

Top Bottom