• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    Clean it. Just went through the process last night with an LC9 I bought, brought it home tore it down and found all kinds of junk in there. Plus its always nice to tear it down for the first time at home now out at the range where its wasy to lose things.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let's not forget that "brand new" can mean different things.

A "brand new" Glock that still has the copper colored anti-seize in it is a whole other ball game from a "new / never issued old military surplus rifle" that's been sitting in cosmoline / packing grease for 50+ years.

They're both "new", right? As in "never fired"...

One absolutely positively needs cleaned, and one would get cleaned to rid the coppery anti-seize.

In the case of Glock, the anti-seize isn't a very good lubricant.

I clean everything before I shoot it for the first time. What it is that I'm cleaning determines how much work I put into it.

-J-

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I reccommend field stripping it and cleaning it, reassemble it and cycle the slide several times(15 or so). If you see any obvious wear points, apply grease, I like bore techs grease or slide glide, some guys recommend frog lube, it's all about whatever works best for you or whatever you have on hand.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Manual

Read their manual and follow their instuctions. They know better than anyone else you could ask.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Clean and lube with a quality lube. This familiarizes you with the gun from the beginning, and after the range, you will recognize any defects not there previously.

Last edited:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Good thoughts and reasons care of a new gun. Thank you everyone. I wanted to be sure it would have been good get the my gun and hit it the range right away. See what people have had in the barrel and the getting to look at how the gun works.

I have to contain my desire to hit the range asap and hold off for a night and clean the gun. Thank you.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm with the "clean and lube" crowd.... At the very least, I would recommend at least putting a patch through the barrel to make sure its clear of debris.

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that someone ran a brush through their new rifle before shooting it and they were glad they did because he discovered there was a chunk of broken safety flag stuck in it.

Had he shot it without clearing out that debris... he may have destroyed the barrel (or worse).

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Good thoughts and reasons care of a new gun. Thank you everyone. I wanted to be sure it would have been good get the my gun and hit it the range right away. See what people have had in the barrel and the getting to look at how the gun works.

I have to contain my desire to hit the range asap and hold off for a night and clean the gun. Thank you.

Good idea. Hope you have a good time at the range with the new firearm.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    I've never had a brand new firearm before.
    Is it ok to take a brand new firearm from the box directly to the range, or should I clean and lube it? I have not really found anything on google for this.

Thanks.

Most Manufactures nearly saturate guns being shipped in oil... Especially smaller caliber handguns should be at least wiped down, have patch down the barrels..

May not be an issue with revolvers, bolt actions or shootguns... But too much oil as just as bad on may semi-auto's as no oil and can lead to jams, stove pipes and misfires...

rlett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Nothing worse than not cleaning it and having problems at the range only to find it just needed a little TLC.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    You guys know that the manufacturers put the product together in such a way that it is ready to rock out of the box right?

Clean if it makes you feel better, but that's the only good it does.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Clean it.
    Call it superstition, due diligence, whatever, but I figure it is better to be proactive than reactive.
    Just me 2cents.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Haven't seen this yet and don't know about all manufacturers. Ruger used to ship their blued pistols with a preservative grease on them. Inside and out. Must really prevent rust, but is not very good as a lubricant. Notice this particularly on 50th anniversary and NRA model Mark 2s.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    We're not talking about construction. We're talking about obstruction.
    And it happens.

Mainstream new products are ready to shoot out of the box. Find a Glock that absolutely needs cleaned to avoid damage or injury before you shoot it.

If you can prove me wrong please do. I like to learn.

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    You guys know that the manufacturers put the product together in such a way that it is ready to rock out of the box right?

Clean if it makes you feel better, but that's the only good it does.

I have to agree, the first thing i do when i get a new gun is shoot the hell out of it, i wont clean them till the 4-600 count

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Mainstream new products are ready to shoot out of the box. Find a Glock that absolutely needs cleaned to avoid damage or injury before you shoot it.

If you can prove me wrong please do. I like to learn.
    I don't have anything to prove or disprove. If it works for you, great.
    I regard my firearms purchases as "investments". I buy nice stuff and I do my best to keep things that way.
    To each their own.
    If you think it's a one in a zillion chance that could mess something up, that's fine. Take your chances. I prefer to be ahead of that curve instead of just "react" to a situation gone bad.
    YMMV

Top Bottom