• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    In the mind of the 12 year old, he may have been playing. I don't see it that way at all. Pointing a toy gun modified to look like a real one isn't playing. Disobeying the police when ordered to show your hands isn't playing. Grabbing for a real looking toy gun in your waistband while disobeying the police is not playing. I see this as a good shoot by the police as long as the facts we've been presented are accurate. It is sad that a 12 year old is dead due to this,but I dont see it justifying the protesting or rioting more than Ferguson.

i knew better than to point a gun at someone when i was five. this is a parenting issue pure and simple. people need to teach their kids firearms are serious business. bb gun or not i would have had my ass beat black and blue for even looking like i was going to point it at someone. my mom and dad didn't whip me often, the only times i remember getting whipped were over gun safety

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    i knew better than to point a gun at someone when i was five. this is a parenting issue pure and simple. people need to teach their kids firearms are serious business. bb gun or not i would have had my ass beat black and blue for even looking like i was going to point it at someone. my mom and dad didn't whip me often, the only times i remember getting whipped were over gun safety
    Absolutely its a parenting issue.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    State Rep. Alicia Reece announced Sunday that she will introduce legislation to place restrictions on BB guns, air rifles, and airsoft guns.

More laws - that'll fix it!

What I see as the problem is a media-induced hypersensitivity to "active shooters". The whole "see something, say something", no longer should anyone stop and think, just phone it in!

If I was twelve and cop yelled at me, potential with drawn guns, I would have frozen and then wet'em.

I dunno... sad all around.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Alright, I'll play.

In the reporting of the story, why does this matter?

"The shooting of the boy, who was African-American, occurred as a grand jury is expected to make a decision soon over whether to charge a white police officer who shot an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Mo., setting off months of protests"
    Once again what does this have to do with what happened?

"Mr. Kucharski said he did not know the race of the officer who shot the boy, and the shooting did not appear to have anything to do with race."

And for the last one: “I’d think you would handle situations with children differently than you would with an adult. They don’t fully understand everything that is going on.”

I'd think in a world where everyone with a gun is a mass-murder waiting to happen the police must act in such a way.

What do you expect? 12 year old kids are supposed to be cognizant of a world that is full of double standards and hypocrisy? 12 year old kids are supposed to know that that liability and blame are going to fall upon the police no matter the outcome of the situation? But, 12 year old kids (or their parents) aren't aware that playing with a realistic "toy" handgun in a public park might draw some undesired attention, particularly within the city limits of ANY large city?

The whole thing is just full of sad, for gun owners, for the media, for the police, for children. Regrettably, how long until the next one?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So, why didn't dispatch relay all of the details to the patrol officers? The caller indicated that the gun may or may not be real, said it looked fake, but the dispatcher didn't tell the officers this fact.

If it was a fake gun then why did the caller even bother contacting 911?

So the way it should work is the police show up for a potential gun being pointed at citizens using the park. The kid complies with the officers instructions. They find out it is a toy gun and follow up from there. Instead the kid ignores the officers commands, draws what could be a real gun that he had modified with the intention of making it look like a real gun and he got shot.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    So, why didn't dispatch relay all of the details to the patrol officers? The caller indicated that the gun may or may not be real, said it looked fake, but the dispatcher didn't tell the officers this fact.
    Would it matter? I've seen several real guns that looked as if they were fake.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    True to the reporting trends with Trayvon and MB the press is using the most innocent pic of the shot one to provide an immediate cudgel to use against the shooter.

http://www.islamveihsan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/tamir-rice.jpg

http://www.massappealnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Tamir-Rice1.jpg

Seems to me he was big enough to be a threat, dressed like he might have been a threat, and he was big enough to know better. These other images provide a much more thug like appearance...and when someone is pointing a gun at you appearances are pretty much all you have to go on.

I'd like to see a chemical evaluation of the 12yr olds blood. What else might have led to the thought process of going to a public park and scaring people for fun then pulling your fake gun on police?

Maybe he was looking for suicide by cop?

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I currently live in downtown Cleveland. So far there isn't any major uproar about this shooting. But that could change if the likes of Al Sharpton comes to town. But so far, the city is handling the shooting as a terrible accident. Which is what it is.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Before anyone goes to the base site of that first picture in my last post let me say a: I wouldn't, b: looks like there might be other aspects to this incident. I can't read whatever was written there but it looks like jello to me.

If I were in charge of the investigation I might want to see if someone was encouraging this particular incident, especially in the context of Ferguson and some of the folks organizing there.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1543479229222822/

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We have a kid running around pretending to have a gun. Obviously (and sadly) he was convincing. I checked out the pic of that gun. At a fast glance it looks to be the real deal. Look at it for 30 seconds and it's obviously a toy. If someone drew down on me with that, they would be shot. Do you really want to wait to see if you get shot first before reacting? NO.

My son has a air soft that looks like the real deal. We used it to train him on how to handle a real fire arm. When it's out we treat it as a real gun. This kid had no training. Someone didn't teach him that it not a smart ideal to look like you have a real gun.

I hate to see the kid lose his life. But I can understand the reason behind it. Was this kid acting in a threatening manor? YES!!He wanted to look like he had the real deal. Not smart and really sad.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Let me add also that this accident comes on the heels of a mass shooting a few nights before where a pregnant mother was killed along with her unborn baby, her 19 year old son, her sons girlfriend and a 9 year old daughter. So I'm sure the police was on high alert and very weary of anyone waving a gun around in that area.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Per the Reasonable Man standard, this was absolutely a justified shooting.

Age and race of the suspect does not matter. Using the knowledge of the responding officers, the person reported as suspected to be brandishing a gun failed to comply with police orders to put his hands up, and instead lifted his shirt and reached for what any reasonable person would believe to be a real pistol.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Parents need to teach their children. This is nothing new. I remember this possibility when I was a child over a couple decades ago. Don't point ANY guns at other people. The days of cops and robbers is over unless your in a confined environment (airsoft, paintball, ect).

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Parents need to teach their children. This is nothing new. I remember this possibility when I was a child over a couple decades ago. Don't point ANY guns at other people. The days of cops and robbers is over unless your in a confined environment (airsoft, paintball, ect).
    Agree, this kids only knowledge of guns obviously came from the thugs in the neighborhood. Just like the Ferguson shooting, act like a thug, you'll most likely die like a thug.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I had a pellet gun / dart gun that looked like a real pistol when I was a child. Guess what I was never allowed to do? It was made quite clear to me that if I ever took it away from the house, I would lose it forever and experience the mother of all punishments. There are many fails here, none of which I see the police being part of.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What doesn't get reported in the news is the anguish an officer goes through in this situation. Obviously this is tragic for the kid's family but this can be a career ender for the officer... even if he did everything right. I've seen families, careers, and live ended for less.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This is a tragedy on so many levels. It's too bad that a kid of that age can't play with a toy gun in this day and age. That being said, I wouldn't want to be an LEO in today's society. It's interesting that the police have been pretty much despised since the 60's and military service members (once despised) are now seen as heroes. I'm not knocking the turn-around of the public's treatment of its members of the military. I just don't quite understand exactly what has kept the perception of the police at rock bottom.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. I feel awful for the LEO that pulled the trigger.

What doesn't get reported in the news is the anguish an officer goes through in this situation. Obviously this is tragic for the kid's family but this can be a career ender for the officer... even if he did everything right. I've seen families, careers, and live ended for less.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That was honestly my very first thought when I saw it on the news. I felt compassion for the officer because I know what he will go through forever. I also feel sad for the parents loss of a child. Parents please teach your kids not to point ANY gun at people. And to follow police instructions.

Top Bottom