• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I walked past that sign at the Avon location not too long ago, carrying concealed and didn't worry about it. I had been in previously and never noticed it. If they want to ask you to leave, fine, but I'm not worried about them prosecuting. I think even with the sign next to the door and even if such signs had any legal bearing, they would have a hard time proving you saw/read the sign. We never eat there. Just take in the token coupons. Best time to go is early on Sunday mornings there are substantially less people.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I live in Richmond, right on the Indiana / Ohio border. Indiana's gun laws are so much better than Ohio. Ohio doesn't honor Indiana's permit, so I had to obtain a FL license in order to carry in Ohio. The two biggest differences IMO are:

1) Indiana has no restrictions on carrying in bars / places that sell alcohol.

In Ohio, it's a FELONY to carry into an Applebees that serves alcohol, even if you aren't at the bar, or drinking.

2) As stated here, Indiana has no law that enforces the "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signs on private businesses. In Ohio, not only is it illegal to carry into any establishment that displays the sign, but the state of Ohio SENDS THESE SIGNS to every business owner in the state along with their minimum wage / federal labor law posters. Many business owners post the signs simply because they believe that they have to!

I'm happy that I can carry in Ohio, but happier that I LIVE in Indiana.

Last edited:

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I'm glad I posted and got the right Info, because, I go there a couple of times a month with my kids, to their friends birthday parties and just to take them there to play, and I will continue to carry when I go there, now that I know I cant be Prosecuted.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1) Indiana has no restrictions on carrying in bars / places that sell alcohol.

In Ohio, it's a FELONY to carry into an Applebees that serves alcohol, even if you aren't at the bar, or drinking.

Agreed. I recently was visiting some family in TN and carried due to TN recognizing Indiana's LTCH, but noticed similar signs/notifications regarding carry in r restaurants that sell alcohol. Glad I don't have to worry about that in IN.
    I believe the signs in TN indicated its a misdemeanor, but still pretty enlightening to compare that to IN.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Today my wife and two little girls were out and about, and the girls wanted to go to Chuck E. Cheese in Avon. So we stopped in and had a good meal and a good time. But on the way out, In the entry way, my wife spotted a sign with a picture of a handgun with a circle around it with a line through it. It said " No firearms alowed on property, Violators will be prosecuted" I did not see it on the way in, and I had my S&W 9MM, IWB, and the shirt I was wearing was a little short, and my gun could be seen if I moved certain ways. I remember having to pull my shirt down to cover it a few times while I was inside. Luckily I made it out with no one seeing it. So I just wanted to give everyone with kids that may go to Chuck E. Cheese, A heads up, so they wont make the same mistake I did .
    Wow.. you had a good meal at Chuck E Cheese? What happened to the cardboard pizza and rancid salad bar??

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I think even with the sign next to the door and even if such signs had any legal bearing, they would have a hard time proving you saw/read the sign.

The problem is they don't have to prove anything to cause real issues. The mere prosecution could cost someone tens of thousands of dollars to defend against. So the prosecutor gets a "Not guilty" verdict, the cost of the trial and the person's defense isn't coming out of his/her wallet!! That's part of the problem with the CJ system.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Total legal. As the others said, only if they ask you to leave and you refuse. Come to think of it, I'm kinda hungry for Chuckie Cheese pizza and feel like open carrying... :):

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The problem is they don't have to prove anything to cause real issues. The mere prosecution could cost someone tens of thousands of dollars to defend against. So the prosecutor gets a "Not guilty" verdict, the cost of the trial and the person's defense isn't coming out of his/her wallet!! That's part of the problem with the CJ system.
    It costs the municipality to prosecute the case too, but yeah, they don't seem to care about our money being spent on prosecuting dubious or arbitrary and whimsical cases. I also suspect that sometimes politics/ ego plays more of a role than we would like.
    As for me, I can honestly say that I rarely see those store signs, so if I get prosecuted for tresspass, without being asked to leave first, there will be one heck of a court battle, costly or not! If these store owners want their property "gun free", they need to man up and be willing to ask carriers to leave before calling a LEO. That would be in keeping with the spirit, as well as the letter of the law. I would think that's the way LEOs would prefer it too.....I'm sure the majority of us on here would leave when asked, saving LEOs a MWAG/tresspass call.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana

I agree with you in general, but they still have to have a code or ordnance or SOMETHING with which they can prosecute. What would they use? Trespassing is the only thing I can think of that they may be able to try, and unless you were aked to leave and refused, it's not likely any prosecutor would waste his time on that.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The only law in which you might get prosecuted would be for trespassing:

IC 35-43-2-2 Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions

Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;

(b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:

(2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public

Basically, a county prosecutor would have to argue that this sign, as it stands, fulfilled the requirements of (2). Gun owners/right supporters make the arguments all the time that guns don't shoot themselves. Well, the same argument could be used in this case: Guns don't walk into restaurants by themselves either.

Such a criminal prosecution would be very dependent upon the signs size, the exact wording, and the location of the sign. Also, the state may prosecute even if one doesn't see the sign, so long as the sign is "at the main entrance" and gets the attention of the public. Sounds like it got your wife's attention.

Would be interesting to see how trespassing charges based upon a 'No guns' or similar sign would play out.

the OP does have a contractual interest in the property. The management wants him as a customer and has opened their doors to potential customers. That creates a contractual interest for him to be on their property. After he is caught breaking their rules and is asked to leave, the contractual interest is rescinded.

Top Bottom