• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I’m using Berry’s 124 gr. hollow points, standard 500 primer and 3,7 grains titegroup powder. I’m worried about pressure spiking from sinking the bullet too far but I can’t find a published case overall length. The plunk test tells me I need to go a bit further but it seems short and set deep already.

Thank you for the help!

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Looking at the Hodgdon website, I see the following load:

Screenshot 2023-12-10 102111.png

This is for a 124 grain XTP, which is also a hollow point. I don't readily see any length data that tells me how long your bullet is vs an XTP but the difference in length is key. (Maybe you should buy a small pack of XTPs for reference.) Think in terms of keeping the volume inside the case the same. If both bullets are the same length then you should be able to seat both to the same depth. If the XTP is 0.010 longer than the Berry's then you could theoretically seat the Berry's 0.010 deeper than the XTP to retain the same volume. The reverse is also true: if the XTP is 0.010 shorter than the Berry's then you would need to increase the COAL of Berry's by 0.010 in order to not have lower volume inside the case.

All that being said, standard disclaimer applies: work your load up and watch for signs of overpressure, etc.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Looking at the Hodgdon website, I see the following load:

View attachment 317799

This is for a 124 grain XTP, which is also a hollow point. I don't readily see any length data that tells me how long your bullet is vs an XTP but the difference in length is key. (Maybe you should buy a small pack of XTPs for reference.) Think in terms of keeping the volume inside the case the same. If both bullets are the same length then you should be able to seat both to the same depth. If the XTP is 0.010 longer than the Berry's then you could theoretically seat the Berry's 0.010 deeper than the XTP to retain the same volume. The reverse is also true: if the XTP is 0.010 shorter than the Berry's then you would need to increase the COAL of Berry's by 0.010 in order to not have lower volume inside the case.

All that being said, standard disclaimer applies: work your load up and watch for signs of overpressure, etc.
    Thank you. I buy bullets one sale and can never find load data on these Berry’s. I checked the two I have made and one is 1.076 the other is 1.075. I might sink them to 1.070 and try one if it passes plunk test.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      343 KB · Views: 7

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    124gn Load Data used to be 3.6-4.1gns of Titegroup so safely under the max to begin with.

I remember my OAL on Berrys 9mm RN was around 1.090” or so.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Did you check the Berrys website? Go down to the bottom of the page for the bullets you purchased and click the "loading tips" link. There you will find OAL & COAL info.

You didn't say which bullet you are referring to, but I assume ( I know, I know...) you mean the 9mm 124gr hybrid HP.

1702226163329.png

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I might go down to 3.5 gr. It looks like I might have some over pressure on that first one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      458.6 KB · Views: 40

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah, agreed, I've seen factory rounds looking worse. The primers still looked fully seated and not flattened to me.
    Its like seating bullets shallower than the book calls for, I look at it as I can load a 357 mag with a 148 grain DEWC along with a 38 Special flush with the end of the case or hanging halfway out like a 158 grain SWC. Using the same bullet with 3.5 grains of Bulleye and both shoot fine. One has huge air space and the other has almost none.
    I have never had any issues loading, with pushing a bullet farther back in the case as needed.
    The internet keeps bringing things to the masses that really aren't a problem for the most part.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Thank you all for the help. It seems the more I reload the more I question myself and the more I seem to need to learn. Your guidance on this board has been incredibly valuable to me on that learning curve. And with reloading….. I’d rather not learn the hard way!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Thank you all for the help. It seems the more I reload the more I question myself and the more I seem to need to learn. Your guidance on this board has been incredibly valuable to me on that learning curve. And with reloading….. I’d rather not learn the hard way!
    As a relative newbie myself (I have been reloading for three or four years now.) @Creedmoor has been quite helpful.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Yeah, agreed, I've seen factory rounds looking worse. The primers still looked fully seated and not flattened to me.
    Glad to hear that. I was thinking the same but reading primers for overpressure seems like an art form which I can't claim to be skilled in.

While I look at the primers for "the signs" I also chronograph my loads. If I see velocities that are close to what I would expect for the load (interpolated for the powder charge) then that tells me that I can't bee TOO far off of what was intended.

Last edited:

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    A lot of my reloading time is spent on calibers that may not be readily available all the time. I usually spend time with 32-20, 44-40, 30-30, 32 WS, some 300 WM and recently 6.5 Carcano. On occasion I do get around to a few 9mm and .45 if I can gather enough components cheap enough.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’m using Berry’s 124 gr. hollow points, standard 500 primer and 3,7 grains titegroup powder. I’m worried about pressure spiking from sinking the bullet too far but I can’t find a published case overall length. The plunk test tells me I need to go a bit further but it seems short and set deep already.

Thank you for the help!
    Can i suggest a plunk test?
    It will help you load at the longest COL possible for your chamber. That would help with pressure if you are worried about it.

Those primers look okay to me. So you should be gtg with 3.7gr. If you plunk test and it has a longer COL that should drop pressure even more

This is when you need to really worry about your load.
    1702369056762.png
    1702369090331.png

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    1702369226760.png

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Can i suggest a plunk test?
    It will help you load at the longest COL possible for your chamber. That would help with pressure if you are worried about it.

Those primers look okay to me. So you should be gtg with 3.7gr. If you plunk test and it has a longer COL that should drop pressure even more

This is when you need to really worry about your load.
    View attachment 318134
    ^^^ THAT one is scary.^^^

Top Bottom