• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Here is a first hand account of someone on another gun forum who knows the Sheriff personally. Pretty good if you ask me.

Sheriff Jim is one fine human being, and not only because of his views on concealed carry. I would vote for him again. He also has an excellent sense of humor. A couple of years ago Fort Collins decided to not have Christmas displays on city property. The sheriff invited everyone out to the sheriff's office/jail to decorate a Christmas tree. He supplied coffee and doughnuts. Big turnout. This year he had a display for our Jewish brothers, and a corner with nothing in it for athiests. Then there was the time he auctioned off #007 CCW. When the bidding would slow down , he got it going again saying it was NOT a license to kill. We need more like him.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Here is a first hand account of someone on another gun forum who knows the Sheriff personally. Pretty good if you ask me.

Quote "Sheriff Jim is one fine human being, and not only because of his views on concealed carry. I would vote for him again. He also has an excellent sense of humor. A couple of years ago Fort Collins decided to not have Christmas displays on city property. The sheriff invited everyone out to the sheriff's office/jail to decorate a Christmas tree. He supplied coffee and doughnuts. Big turnout. This year he had a display for our Jewish brothers, and a corner with nothing in it for athiests. Then there was the time he auctioned off #007 CCW. When the bidding would slow down , he got it going again saying it was NOT a license to kill." We need more like him.

one word - AWESOME

Last edited:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    my response from Sheriff Alderden:

I may have already responded to some of you so if this is redundant, please forgive me. I have been overwhelmed with e-mails regarding my position on the CSU rule prohibiting students, faculty or staff from carrying anything on campus that may be used in self-defense; i.e. concealed handgun, mace, or stun gun. This is incredibly irresponsible.

I have received 170 e-mails from all corners and coasts of the United States supporting my position. I haven't had such a response since my Third Annual Politically Incorrect Christmas tree Decorating Party or the Balloon Boy incident. For those of you who haven't made the connection, yes, I'm the overweight bald Sheriff who was at the center of the Balloon Boy Hoax. I tried responding individually to your e-mails to express my appreciation for your kind words, but it soon became evident that I wasn't going to be able to. I do have a few other things on my plate. To each of you, please accept my humble appreciation for your support and encouragement.

By the way, I did get one negative e-mail. 170 to 1, and it wasn't from Dr. Frank, the CSU President.

Many of you have suggested that I run for higher office. I have said it before, but I don't think there is any higher office than that of Sheriff. It is an office that gives me the most direct contact with the people and the best opportunity to act rather autonomously to do the right thing. I only have to answer to the public, not the politicians. In any event, I'm about to wrap up a 38 year career and my 12th as Sheriff. I would love to hang around but Colorado enacted term limits several years ago to ensure that the most qualified and competent people can't remain in office too long.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write but my position really wasn't a difficult or courageous decision to make as some of you have implied. It was simply the right thing to do and in keeping with my sworn oath.

Jim Alderden
    Larimer County Sheriff

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I cannot for the life of me find a contact email for the Sheriff. So....I am using the "Contact" email form, and hoping for the best...

Chief Ciesielski;

My name is James XXX, and I am a life long resident of the Indy Metro area. I am also a Licensed gun owner.
    I am appalled at how both the 2nd Amendment, and the Indiana Constitution is ignored in the City of Indianapolis. I just returned
    from the Indy Parks meeting regarding repealing the ban on weapons in city parks,(even though they are permitted in state parks and
    now national parks). Despite support from the public in favor the repeal, the Council chose to table the discussion for further review.

Some progress is being made, as hopefully other bill currently on the table, will pass, and allow LTCH holders to carry in their car at work, without fear of reprisal. Sadly, this bill is of no use to College and University employees, which leads me to the main point of this email.

Recently, in Colorado, their University Board made a decision that puts law abiding students at risk, as I believe they are here in Indiana as well.

From OUR VIEW: Sheriff says he'll undermine gun ban | state, gun, - Opinion - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO ;
    ---
    "The Colorado State University Board of Governors voted unanimously Tuesday to place students at both of its campuses in harm’s way
    with a sweeping weapons ban law-abiding citizens will obey and criminals will ignore."
    ---

The Sheriff there had a response to this, that I would like to see in your administration:

---
    "Larimer County Sheriff James Alderden, outraged by the ban, told The Gazette’s opinion department he will undermine it in the interest of student safety.
    CSU-Fort Collins Police Chief Wendy Rich-Goldsmith, a relative newcomer to the campus, supports the ban.
    “I have told the CSU police chief I will not support this in any way,” Sheriff Alderden told The Gazette. “If anyone with one of my
    permits gets arrested for concealed carry at CSU, I will refuse to book that person into my jail. Furthermore, I will show up at
    court and testify on that person’s behalf, and I will do whatever I can to discourage a conviction. I will not be a party to this
    very poor decision.”
    ---

Sheriff Alderden has r'cvd overwhelming support via email for his support of the 2nd Amendment. Here is a quote directly from the Sheriff regarding these emails:

---
    "I have received 170 e-mails from all corners and coasts of the United States supporting my position. I haven't had such a response
    since my Third Annual Politically Incorrect Christmas tree Decorating Party or the Balloon Boy incident."

"Many of you have suggested that I run for higher office. I have said it before, but I don't think there is any higher office than
    that of Sheriff. It is an office that gives me the most direct contact with the people and the best opportunity to act rather
    autonomously to do the right thing. I only have to answer to the public, not the politicians. In any event, I'm about to wrap up a
    38 year career and my 12th as Sheriff. I would love to hang around but Colorado enacted term limits several years ago to ensure
    that the most qualified and competent people can't remain in office too long.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write but my position really wasn't a difficult or courageous decision to make as some of

you have implied. It was simply the right thing to do and in keeping with my sworn oath."
    ---

Sheriff Alderden feels that supporting the 2nd Amendment is part of his Oath. I am sending you this email in hopes that you feel
    the same, and will work with the many law abiding, licensed gun owners in your District and support the 2nd Amendment, as well as
    the Indiana Constitution, just as Sheriff Alderden has.

Thank you for your time,

James XXX

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    just voted as well, polls is up to 3700+ votes now.

Should Colorado State students ignore the new weapons ban, as one sheriff suggests?
    Yes, they should ignore the ban
    93%
    No, they should obey the campus rules
    6%
    I don't know
    0%
    I don't care
    0%
    Total Votes: 3771

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    heres a second email i received from him last night.......

I may have already responded to some of you so if this is redundant, please forgive me. I have been overwhelmed with e-mails regarding my position on the CSU rule prohibiting students, faculty or staff from carrying anything on campus that may be used in self-defense; i.e. concealed handgun, mace, or stun gun. This is incredibly irresponsible.

I have received 170 e-mails from all corners and coasts of the United States supporting my position. I haven't had such a response since my Third Annual Politically Incorrect Christmas tree Decorating Party or the Balloon Boy incident. For those of you who haven't made the connection, yes, I'm the overweight bald Sheriff who was at the center of the Balloon Boy Hoax. I tried responding individually to your e-mails to express my appreciation for your kind words, but it soon became evident that I wasn't going to be able to. I do have a few other things on my plate. To each of you, please accept my humble appreciation for your support and encouragement.

By the way, I did get one negative e-mail. 170 to 1, and it wasn't from Dr. Frank, the CSU President.

Many of you have suggested that I run for higher office. I have said it before, but I don't think there is any higher office than that of Sheriff. It is an office that gives me the most direct contact with the people and the best opportunity to act rather autonomously to do the right thing. I only have to answer to the public, not the politicians. In any event, I'm about to wrap up a 38 year career and my 12th as Sheriff. I would love to hang around but Colorado enacted term limits several years ago to ensure that the most qualified and competent people can't remain in office too long.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write but my position really wasn't a difficult or courageous decision to make as some of you have implied. It was simply the right thing to do and in keeping with my sworn oath.

Jim Alderden
    Larimer County Sheriff

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    heres a second email i received from him last night.......

Jim Alderden
    Larimer County Sheriff

I got the same E mail from him yesterday

Ken Campbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gunsite Academy, Inc
    Sheriff

Sheriff Alderden is a friend of mine. His Undersheriff (Chief Deputy) Ern Hudson was the Sheriff that hired me in 1979. He is a great mentor and friend as well.

He is a good man and we have similar philosphies as to the Constitutional Office of Sheriff.

He has honored his Office and continues to do so.

Sheriff Ken Campbell
    Boone County Indiana

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sheriff Alderden is a friend of mine. His Undersheriff (Chief Deputy) Ern Hudson was the Sheriff that hired me in 1979. He is a great mentor and friend as well.

He is a good man and we have similar philosphies as to the Constitutional Office of Sheriff.

Sheriff Ken Campbell
    Boone County Indiana

Thank you, Sheriff Campbell.
    I've copied your complimentary words back to Sheriff Alderden. While I'm sure he's aware of your opinion, I don't know anyone who doesn't like an "attaboy".

Have a great day and thanks for all you do.

Stay safe out there!

Blessings,
    Bill

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Sheriff Ken Campbell
    Boone County Indiana

Thank you for taking the time to post this Sheriff. Makes me wish I hadn't moved out of Boone County :D

Top Bottom