• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jarheadcatfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Georgetown
    I suppose this fits in this category. Any of you practice and Map/Compass skills? Can you non-military shoot an azimuth? This is a skill I think most could use more practice in.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I went through all that back in the day, but I have to admit, my map&compass skills need polishing up. It would probably help if I looked into finding a military topo map of my AO, as that would be what I am most familiar with.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks for posting that link, Jeremy! This is a tad bit easier than gettting my son to acquire them for me at Ft Cambell. Especially now, since he just shipped out to the sandbox for tour #4.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    one might also look at a boy scout merit badge book for orienteering. that's where i learned how to do it. it's kind of like riding a bicycle once you learn the different things you can do with a decent compass and topo map.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    No problem!
    I have TONS of links and info... ;)

That is a great link,:yesway: if you haven't already would you post the other links in the sticky section of Survial and Disaster Prepardness section? I think it still have a little room on my external drive that needs to be filled with some more info.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Couple of suggestion:

Be An Expert with Map and Compass, by Bjorn Hjellstorm, about $8 at Amazon

Indian Crossroads Orienteering (https://sites.google.com/a/indyo.org/indiana-crossroads-orienteering/home)

Or do a search for orienteering clubs; most have beginning clinics from time to time, and also beginner courses.

That's a good book, but be sure to get the printed edition, not the ebook. It comes with a sample map, which isn't included in the ebook version, although after several emails with the publisher (Wiley) they agreed to send me a copy. (which they roughly tore out of a printed copy...)

For anyone in central Indiana, ICO is having an event at Marott Park in Indianapolis, just north of Broad Ripple, on Saturday, June 11: 6/11/11 - Marott Park - ICO

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've been brushing up. My son and I will be headed to Yosemite for his 16th b-day and he's going to be doing all the navigating. I'll just be double checking his work. :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    That is in the last chapter of the book, so I'm still working on pace count.

I know you have to account for flat, incline and decline, but how do you approach different levels of slope? I mean, if a hill is a little steep versus really steep, +/- trees, grass, rocks, etc. Assume one needs to customize their slope factor based on the locale they are specifically going into?

Also, how is pace "valuable" versus just going from point to point? Not trying to be uppity with that question, I just don't comprehend its value yet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom