• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That is in the last chapter of the book, so I'm still working on pace count.

I know you have to account for flat, incline and decline, but how do you approach different levels of slope? I mean, if a hill is a little steep versus really steep, +/- trees, grass, rocks, etc. Assume one needs to customize their slope factor based on the locale they are specifically going into?

I wish I had a better answer than experience and practice...
    It is much like estimating distances. It is something that has to be done I feel to get a good idea of it...
    Also, how is pace "valuable" versus just going from point to point? Not trying to be uppity with that question, I just don't comprehend its value yet.
    How about if I gave you a known location starting point and told you our next point was 4750 meters at 137*...
    How would you know the distance you have gone without pace count?!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Ok, I think I get pace count now! :D

I am new to it all, so I am still only beginning to grasp how different this is than a plain old "walk in the woods" LOL

I was thinking from a POV of me determining where I was going, rather than having it called in that way.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Terrain association and pace count are both good things to know... T.A. isn't much help w/o a map... pace count, as Jeremy pointed out, changes with terrain. Map, compass, pace count (and Ranger Beads) will usually get a person where they need to be. :twocents:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I was just going to mention Ranger Beads but mammynun beat me to it..

I am so out of practice with this it is actually something I am looking at for a training class.

Anyone know of a qualified instructor?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Go up thread to the link I posted for Maps download the ones for your AO find a printshop that is smart enough to do print to scale right, laminate it. Break out the compass and protractor, you will be surprised how quick it will come back to you...

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If I am crossing terrain features than I don't worry about my pace count.

This.

Terrain associate. Don't rely solely on pace count as there are more factors that will change your pace count in addition to terrain, such as speed, load, and exhaustion.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If I am crossing terrain features than I don't worry about my pace count. I use the terrain features; i.e. 175m between the draws, etc.

This.

Terrain associate. Don't rely solely on pace count as there are more factors that will change your pace count in addition to terrain, such as speed, load, and exhaustion.

That works great except I live up here in the Prairie Part of Indiana. Not a whole lot of Terrain Features on a Map here. Well minus the Roads... :D

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    That works great except I live up here in the Prairie Part of Indiana. Not a whole lot of Terrain Features on a Map here. Well minus the Roads... :D

Bit confused. The responses were to the question of pace count across "different terrain". If you want to navigate on flat land than why ask a question about terrain features?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Bit confused. The responses were to the question of pace count across "different terrain". If you want to navigate on flat land than why ask a question about terrain features?

Poor attempt at trying to point out that Terrain Association is good, but not always available to do either...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I believe you have highlighted the need to understand all methods of navigating. My weakness is in dead reckoning.

Yeah that was what I meant to do... ;)

Pace Count is actually one of my weakest areas. I have always had this internal Odometer that lets me "know" when I have gone about XXXX meters...

Top Bottom