• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Can it be done? I want to get into reloading, but I am on a budget for the holidays. Anyone have some advise for gear that will get me started. I need to reload 9mm, 38 special, .357 Mag, and 7.62x39.

Anyone able to link me the gear I'll need to get started in that price range? I would also love tips on getting started, I think a single step press is the only thing in my price range.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Can it be done? I want to get into reloading, but I am on a budget for the holidays. Anyone have some advise for gear that will get me started. I need to reload 9mm, 38 special, .357 Mag, and 7.62x39.

Anyone able to link me the gear I'll need to get started in that price range? I would also love tips on getting started, I think a single step press is the only thing in my price range.

Ive got the pdf version of a reloading book that was sent to me by another INGO user; its chock full of useful information regarding charts and info. I can email you a copy of it if you want. Send me a PM if its something you might be interested in.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Ive got the pdf version of a reloading book that was sent to me by another INGO user; its chock full of useful information regarding charts and info. I can email you a copy of it if you want. Send me a PM if its something you might be interested in.

Thank you, I would love that, PM Incoming.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Unless you can find a GOOD price used, just the die sets alone for 4 calibers will set you back $150. Good used single stage presses can be found under $100, but the good ones are solid (cast iron, not aluminum, RCBS, Dillon, Hornady) and on eBay deals, the shipping I've seen kills the deal... Seems the good cast iron presses hold their value well also...

Try to find someone that decided reloading wasn't their thing and start horse-tradin'... See if you've got something they just can't live without and make them an offer they can't refuse... :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Not counting consumables (powder, brass, primers. bullets) yes it can be done easily for about $25 per caliber:

Classic Loader 9mm Luger

If you want to step up, you can still do it for all four calibers within your budget:

Reloader Single Stage Press

Carbide 3-Die Set 9mm Luger

And of course you can simply go up from there and you can get better equipment used.

Personally, I'd recommend spending the money to take Aszerigan's class then figure out how to spend your money best. Reloading is reasonably safe if you are dilligent, but it's also possible to get hurt or hurt other people if you screw it up.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    DarkRose summed it up pretty well. Plus, depending on what volume of components you're buying, even decent deals will deplete your budget pretty quick.

P.S. I'd advise to stay away from aluminum presses, as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP... Since you've mentioned the holidays...

(If you're like me, you don't care to be given anything...)

But if you're a part of a family/circle of friends that give gifts, why not either A) ask for some reloading components or B) tell them that you'd really like cash as you're looking to invest in some equipment.

-J-

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Can you safely do it for $150 for 4 calibers? In my honest opinion, no.

Unless you find a great bargain at an estate sale or something, a good scale is going to set you back by half your budget, not to mention calipers, case blocks, chamfering tools, etc. Then dies are $30 per set x 4.

Sorry man, I don't want to burst your bubble, but it really can't be done. I'm not usually a nay-sayer, but you'd be putting yourself in danger to try to fit into such a small budget. I'd recommend taking a class (not necessary mine, but you're welcome to join us anytime) and learn what equipment to buy, what you can save a few dollars on, and which pieces need to be higher quality to start.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    First I'd like to commend you for having a budget and the personal fortitude to stay within it. That behavior will reward you many times over in your life.

Now, about the reloading question...

I believe it would be difficult to get started for $150. I suggest you find a fellow reloader and see if you can partner with him for awhile. See if you can occasionally use his reloading room to process some of your rounds. (Perhaps you can do something for him to compensate him...shovel a driveway, help clean out a garage, loan him your truck, etc.)

Over the course of a few months, you will learn much more about what components you want to buy. The experience will also help you avoid buying some things that you later realize you didn't need.

With your financial planning skills, I believe you could save up what you need during the months you partner with the other reloader. Then you'd be ready to buy what you want.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    First I'd like to commend you for having a budget and the personal fortitude to stay within it. That behavior will reward you many times over in your life.

Now, about the reloading question...

I believe it would be difficult to get started for $150. I suggest you find a fellow reloader and see if you can partner with him for awhile. See if you can occasionally use his reloading room to process some of your rounds. (Perhaps you can do something for him to compensate him...shovel a driveway, help clean out a garage, loan him your truck, etc.)

Over the course of a few months, you will learn much more about what components you want to buy. The experience will also help you avoid buying some things that you later realize you didn't need.

With your financial planning skills, I believe you could save up what you need during the months you partner with the other reloader. Then you'd be ready to buy what you want.

I agree with Dave here. Good to you for trying to stick to a budget, that's not a bad thing to try to do.

I also agree that you could try to find a friend that reloads and learn from them and possibly use their equipment for a while to learn on. I've been to one of IGW's reloading classes, and a buddy of mine was taught by a friend of his. Together we are both buying equipment and going to share use and time to help each other out. He bought the Lee anniversary single stage kit. I just bought a tumbler kit and dies for two calibers, one of them is a caliber we both have guns for. So now we can both work on learning this together and sharing the expense. It's a good way to go if you can do it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you ever want to load 9mm you can come over to my house and load it. I don't load the other calibers so you are on your own.

You could buy dies and whatnot for the 650, bring them and load your stuff as well. This would work if you ever want to get a dillon.

I have a couple of reloading books you can borrow if you like too. PM me if you have an intrest.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Id like to note, that the pdf for the reloading book is MIA. I do,however, have a really good book on casting. I know its not the same, but let me know if youre interested.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Where in NWI are you at. You might be able to reload with some "peeps" I know that do reload. They also do group buys on the material as well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

In terms of reloading 7.62x39, it would cost just as much to reload then to buy steel cased ammo. Buy the time you buy brass, powder, primers, and bullets. Unless you already have a bunch of brass saved up. I looked into it myself, and to me it's not worth it.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    make it easy used dies clearance or lee press off their clearance list or used if ya can
    lee hand prime and UNIQUE powder you can load rifle, shot gun and pistols with it.
    I bet surfing classifieds here, greybeards, and cast boolits you can also trade!!!!
    set of lee powder dippers (I have used for years before I got a scale)
    But beware! if the bug bites you it will be a constant pest as you will Never be satisfied lol ! and do do not get hung up on brand they are all ok. I have Lee,Dillon, lyman,rcbs, hornady and redding here now

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Just my $.02...Lee sells a complete set up for starters for under $100 The dies are not too expensive either. Start with the .357/38 as they use the same dies[357 uses a
    spacer ring] Once you've mastered the straight walled cartridge you're ready to move
    on to 9mm. You should have saved enough $$$ to afford more dies.
    The Lee beginner press seems light-weight. You may want to upgrade before you
    start doing rifle brass. I agree with the earlier comment about .762x39...too cheap to reload...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Pretty much what others have said.

1. 9mm -- the only way to reload it and save enough money to make it worth my time is to use lead bullets. If you have polygonal rifling (like a Glock) don't use lead bullets. You can still save a couple bucks though by using plated or some of the cheap (Zero or Montana Gold) FMJ bullets.

2. Ditto for 7.62x39 but even more so since you can't reload most brass. Not that the new brass is all that expensive comparatively speaking, but I keep my costs way down by reloading range pickups, and there isn't any brass to pick up for 7.62x39.

3. I'll repeat some others, but the 38/357 is the one to start with. You can save a ton of money here. I load lead bullets in .38 for ~$6-$7, for a saving of $15-20 a box.

4. Natchez has pretty good prices. $99 for this kit. I used this kit (with the pre-Breech Lock press) and nothing else for several years.

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit - Natchez Shooters Supplies Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit

The reason you should pick this kit over the "Anniversary" kit is that it also comes with the hand priming tool and the shell holder set.

5. Lee .38 SPL carbide die set. Can load .357 Magnum also.

Lee 38 Special/357 Mag Carbide 4 Die Set - Natchez Shooters Supplies 38 Special/357 Mag Carbide 4 Die Set

The 4-die set includes the Factory Crimp Die. It's not needed (IMO) for auto pistols, but I really like it for revolvers. It makes the die adjustments faster and easier and gives very consistent results for a good roll crimp that is needed for good ignition on magnum loads.

6. Lyman's 49th.

Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook - Soft Cover - Natchez Shooters Supplies 49th Edition Reloading Handbook - Soft Cover

So there you go... $161 + shipping to start reloading.

Yes you need the book.

Next step is to get powder and primers (locally to avoid paying Haz-Mat fees). Winchester Small Pistol Primers (WSP) the brand of primer is not too critical, a pound of Hodgdon's "Universal" and a pound of Alliant "2400". If all you were ever going to reload is .38 SPL, then I would have said Accurate "No.2" instead of Universal. "2400" because then you can use standard (not magnum) pistol primers and you only have to stock one type of primer to start.

The powder and primers will run you about $70-$80.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    One note -

I have always told the people that take my classes that, once they complete it, they're welcome to come and use my equipment anytime they wish. I know I'm a little far away, but I have all the equipment you'll need - including dies for all four calibers - so feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do.

Top Bottom