• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    I had to Google the .350 Rem Mag.

They should have called it the .360 Rem Mag. It's a lot closer to .360 than .350!

-J-

The 350JR is my brain flatulation (idea) and you have no idea how many I've mentioned it to has no idea what a 350 Remington magnum is.

I guess that's why it took an old fart to think of it. ;)

I'll FINALLY be shooting it by the weekend unless something ELSE goes wrong.
    New formed brass gives me a case capacity of 58.7 grains. Expecting a bit more when fired and neck sized but .....dont really need it IMO.

Its been a LONG wait for the reamer. I was starting to wonder if I shouldnt tune up the ol slug gun!

LOTS of really neat options out there and all fun.

I just beat through the brush making my own path is all.

Next to it's parent round the "almost forgotten" 350 Rem Mag.

IMG_0498.jpg

God Bless
    Steve

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Steve,

That is INSANELY cool. What donor rifle are you using? I could see this being another excellent choice from something like an Encore rifle.

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    An Encore would be cool but part of my mandatory rules was that I had a wildcat in my first choice of any rifle in any caliber.

The Remington 700.
    With the LONG Nosler 225 grain bullets the COAL is exactly the same as a 350RM but.......does not seat down inside the body of the round.

Rifle1-1.jpg

Photo093.jpg

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Set back and rechamber. Wasnt into any more funds than necessary.

Also doing the same to a Remington 673.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What about the 460 S&W? A lot of folks around here are talking about that one.

The 460S&W, in a Katahdin barrel for your Encore, is a great option. Also, a buddy of mine has one in a Ruger #1. That's why it's listed at #8 on the first page of this thread. ;)

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Oops!

Sorry I overlooked that. Just had knee surgery yesterday and I am going to blame the pain killers. Still no excuse in my mind to stay off of INGO :rockwoot:

On a side note, what would you say the effective range of the 460 in an Encore configuration with a capable shooter? Thinking about getting one for my setup. I currently have a 243 and a 7mm-08 in 15" pistol barrels that I plan on using this year as well. I was jus wondering if the 460 would have any advantage over the previously mentioned calibers.

The 460S&W, in a Katahdin barrel for your Encore, is a great option. Also, a buddy of mine has one in a Ruger #1. That's why it's listed at #8 on the first page of this thread. ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sorry I overlooked that. Just had knee surgery yesterday and I am going to blame the pain killers. Still no excuse in my mind to stay off of INGO :rockwoot:

On a side note, what would you say the effective range of the 460 in an Encore configuration with a capable shooter? Thinking about getting one for my setup. I currently have a 243 and a 7mm-08 in 15" pistol barrels that I plan on using this year as well. I was jus wondering if the 460 would have any advantage over the previously mentioned calibers.

I shot my buddy's Ruger in 460S&W at a measured 287 yards. It printed a group that was a little low and right around 4". He kept working with it, adjusted his scope, and was able to get groups closer to 3", at that distance. At 100 yards, he shoots 3 shots and they make a single, .800" hole. Based on what I've seen and shot, I would expect it to be perfectly suitable out to 300 yards, presuming a good laser range-finder and drop tables or BDC-style scope that has been tested at various ranges!

In other words, it's capable of the same range as the Encore pistols, but with a lot more bullet mass and recoil. I suspect it will kill with more authority at 250-300 yards than the pistol rounds.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    All other things being equal, I would think the 7-08 would be an easier gun than a 460 S&W for most shooters to shoot well.

I have read that 1000 foot-pounds is a generally accepted baseline for retained energy in determining a cartridge's effective range on deer. I don't know if deer were consulted, but it is what it is. The 7-08 with 140 gr powerpoint retains this level of energy to almost 450 yds. Hornady's 460 with 200 gr bullet moving at 2200 fps retains this level of energy to only about 150 yds. Some rifle loads may do better, but I'd guess they retain 1000 ft lbs to only half the range of the 7-08.

In the real world, if you hit a deer in the vitals with the 460, its a dead deer.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    All other things being equal, I would think the 7-08 would be an easier gun than a 460 S&W for most shooters to shoot well. The deer won't care much for either cartridge.

I have read that 1000 foot-pounds is a generally accepted baseline for retained energy in determining a cartridge's effective range on deer. The 7-08 with 140 gr powerpoint retains this level of energy to almost 450 yds. The 460 with 250 gr bullet retains this level of energy to only about 100 - 150 yds. Some rifle loads may do better, but I'd guess they retain 1000 ft lbs to only half the range of the 7-08.

In the real world, if you hit a deer in the vitals with the 460, its a dead deer.

If both firearms were in a rifle configuration, I couldn't agree with you more. When one is a single-shot pistol the comparison is not so simple.

Trying to use a ft/lbs formula when comparing such disparate calibers is not going to give you meaningful results. The two rounds kill in very different ways.

My buddy has an Encore barrel in 460S&W with a muzzle-brake on it. He's getting 2700fps from factory Leverevolution loads. It's important to make sure your 7-08 data is from a 15" barrel and that your 460S&W data is from a rifle-length barrel. It's even more important, as you noted above, that 45-caliber holes in deer are quite authoritative, no matter if the bullet expands or it doesn't.

I wish Indiana would allow us to use calibers smaller than 35 for deer hunting with a rifle. If they did, this list would be quickly forgotten as folks started using sensible deer cartridges and saved the big stuff for bears and elk. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wish Indiana would allow us to use calibers smaller than 35 for deer hunting with a rifle. If they did, this list would be quickly forgotten as folks started using sensible deer cartridges and saved the big stuff for bears and elk. :)

I don't have a dog in this fight (Not a hunter - just a gun enthusiast and compulsive INGOer...)

For the sake of argument:

Would you still have a min. diameter? .25? Still a min case length?

I know there are some (southern) states that allow any centerfire rifle cartridge for deer hunting. (This how the TN regs were explained to me by my wife's uncle - a TN resident and deer hunter). To ME, as a non-hunter, this just seems to be too much wiggle room to "help ensure" ethical kills. .204 Ruger for deer? Seriously? Evidently legal. But, I guess when your does aren't any bigger than Great Danes, perhaps .204 Ruger is OK?

I DO think that Indiana's regs need overhauled from top to bottom. It's no secret that I make fun of the legality of cartridges all the time (30.06 out of a rifle = evil scary citizen killing machine when used on deer... But perfectly legal for squirrel hunting).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't have a dog in this fight (Not a hunter - just a gun enthusiast and compulsive INGOer...)

For the sake of argument:

Would you still have a min. diameter? .25? Still a min case length?

I know there are some (southern) states that allow any centerfire rifle cartridge for deer hunting. (This how the TN regs were explained to me by my wife's uncle - a TN resident and deer hunter). To ME, as a non-hunter, this just seems to be too much wiggle room to "help ensure" ethical kills. .204 Ruger for deer? Seriously? Evidently legal. But, I guess when your does aren't any bigger than Great Danes, perhaps .204 Ruger is OK?

I DO think that Indiana's regs need overhauled from top to bottom. It's no secret that I make fun of the legality of cartridges all the time (30.06 out of a rifle = evil scary citizen killing machine when used on deer... But perfectly legal for squirrel hunting).

I would have Indiana adopt the same kind of approach used in MI or WI, where most of the state is open to basically any centerfire cartridge. Many states mandate a minimum caliber of 24, so basically a 243 or 6mm. That is perfectly reasonable to me.

The fundamental reality is two-fold:

1) The current regs were put in place to restrict harvest, back when the herd was just starting to recover, not to limit the range of guns used, for the sake of safety. That is what it has morphed into, but is not based in fact.

2) The round fired does not determine how far a wayward bullet might travel. A 12 gauge slug travels farther, after a ricochet, than a pointed spitzer bullet. Why? Because the slug retains its form, while the spitzer either comes apart or loses stability, tumbling, slowing down and falling to the ground much faster. That's just a ballistic fact, proven out by testing done in PA. some time ago. The keys to being safe with a powerful centerfire cartridge are knowing you have a safe backdrop and keeping your finger off the trigger until you are in a position to make a safe shot. This is true no matter what cartridge is in your firing chamber.

Since the adoption of the PCR rules, hunter safety has remained unchanged, despite all the doom and gloom from the guys who opposed it. The same would be true if "normal" centerfire rounds were legalized throughout the state. The odds are good that this will be proved out in coming years when Indiana finally does away with these absurd regulations and only restricts cartridge choice in localities where it is actually indicated.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    my .357 Sig. say it aint so!

It ain't so.

The case isn't long enough.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Has .357 Coonan been mentioned . I dunno though, mabey it doesn't qualify

Pretty sure the 357 Magnum has been mentioned. From what I can tell, the "Coonan" is a semi-auto handgun chambered in this cartridge? Along the lines of the 44RM in a Desert Eagle?

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Some States base accepted pistol cartridges on muzzle energy instead of case length. I wish Indy would do the same because a 10mm is plenty powerful enough to make a deer limp.

Top Bottom